Fly into and out of FLL sail out of port everglades FLL

mermaidIamNOT

Our flight is the day before but our friends are flying in the day of due to work schedules that can't be changed and land at roughly noon. The ship final boarding is at 5pm with a 7pm departure time. I know the port is only 10-15 min away so:

How quickly do you think they could get to the port by taxi if they are landing at 11:45am on a saturday? With checked bags. Delta airlines

Our flight home has changed multiple times so we just rebooked a new flight afew minutes after noon 12:10pm ship gets in at 8am (if everything goes smooth) What time should we try to get off by if we don't do self debarkation? cruiseline is MSC

Disembark whenever they tell you to. You will have MORE than adequate time. FLL is a small airport - so small in fact that you can't even go down the concourse to your gates until an hour before your flight. Oh - and there is limited food and seating. Don't go too early.

The most time consuming thing your friends will have to do is wait for their luggage. I personally haven't found Delta to be very efficient in that regard at FLL. I would say it will take them 20 minutes to get off the plane unless they're seated very close to the front. 5 minutes to get to baggage, 5 minute potty break. That puts us at 12:15. Let's say 15 minutes wait on bags. out to the curb. probably no wait on a cab. 15 minutes to pier - I would guess they will arrive quayside around 12:45. Not sure how organized MSC's boarding process is or when they actually start, but you can take it from there.

Bon Voyage.

Actually FLL isn't a really small airport. There are 4 separate terminal buildings. Terminal 1 has Southwest, Airtran, and United. Terminal 2 is Delta and Air Canada. Terminal 3 is USAirways, Jetblue, American, and Westjet. Terminal 4 is Spirit and some South American airlines. I fly Delta often and yes they seem to be slow in the baggage claim department. As far as checking in for a flight most airlines allow you to check in baggage up to 4 hours prior to your flight (you would need to check with your airline as to what their check in time is) and you do not have to wait until 1 hour before your flight to enter the boarding concourses. I frequently check in 3-4 hours before my flight as getting past the TSA security check point can take a long time at FLL. After clearing TSA I spend the next couple of hours in my airlines club lounge waiting for my flight.

The most common way to get to the cruise port is by taxi and there are plenty of them. Airport to cruise terminal is about 10-15 minutes traffic depending and about $14-$18.

If your friends flight arrives on time I they should be to the port by around 1:15 if they checked luggage.

For your return flight you want to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight just to have a lot of time for check in and to go through security. If you are off by 9:30 AM you are in perfect shape.

Keith

Archived