New to NCL - Your Pearls of Wisdom

Eglesbrech

I have done a lot of cruises (P&O, Cunard, Celebrity, RCI etc) but none with NCL so I am looking for advice from the experts on here.

We are looking at a med trip in the New Year as NCL are the only providers in Europe at the time offering an itinery we have not done before.

I have read on other threads what is likely to be different eg probably need to use speciality restaurants, daily service charge, 15% on drinks etc but is there anything else you think I should know?

I would also appreciate opinions on cabin grade. We usually go balcony as a minimum but is it worth the extra for a mini suite or suite. Is the Haven worth the extra cost.

Look forward to your Pearls of Wisdom and thanks for any help you can offer.:)

You don't need to do specialty restaurants. IMO the food in the MDR is good-better than PO, but then again I haven't cruised the other lines. I personally prefer the food to PO. I don't need the huge US serving size either which is one complaint from some passengers. 3 courses is more than enough for me.

I've never booked a suite or higher, but NCL is reputed to have the best high end cabins/villas etc in cruising. Which ship are you looking at?

I'm happy with NCL, but then again I don't like set dining times. You don't need to dress as formally as you do with PO, but if you do like dressing up in formal attire you can. Some people do, some people don't. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise.:)

Regarding whether to book a balcony, mini or full suite, unless you really prefer baths over a shower, the mini doesn't get you a lot more an a standard balcony IMHO. Now a real suite, that is a different story...it comes with some great benefits, the foremost being breakfast and lunch in Cagneys. For DDP and me, doing what I suspect is a port intensive cruise like you are doing wouldn't be worth the extra money for a suite. But I suspect the next time we do a trip with lots of sea days we will be trying hard to swing a suite. We haven't ever sailed in one but during our Canada trip this fall, we were lucky enough to be designated VIPs which got us all the benefits....so now we really want to sail in one!

Thanks for the tips so far.We are looking at the Jade cruise from Rome and it is quite port intensive.

What are the travel arrangements like for a fly cruise? We would need to travel south as there are no flights from Scotland so after a long drive to Birmingham to get a flight we don't want 2or3 Stop overs. Do NCL tend to direct flights or all around the houses? Are they good at the other end with airport drop offs etc. Would really appreciate any insights before booking.

Archived