Ellacott Q&A: Answers Discussion

So:

- He wants our ideas on a loyalty scheme (can add them on the Q&A Loyalty Scheme topic).

- New 10/11 night itineraries around Western and Eastern Med in the planning for 2014.

- Sorrento to be a permanent stop.

- A 14 night Black Sea itinerary being looked at for 2014 that includes Yalta and Odessa.

A new Azores cruises! Sound interesting!

We went to the Azores on the Eclipse - Fabulous - and we only visited one island ( there are 9) It would make a great stop off point on a TA, instead of all those days at sea :eek:

This is hard work trying to keep up with the questions:rolleyes::rolleyes: Had to get dinner, but back to it now :D

We went to the Azores on the Eclipse - Fabulous - and we only visited one island ( there are 9) It would make a great stop off point on a TA, instead of all those days at sea :eek:

This is hard work trying to keep up with the questions:rolleyes::rolleyes: Had to get dinner, but back to it now :D

Just had a look on Google Maps and it's a long way away from Canaries. I guess it will be a one off cruise then.

Who is Tori :D

That'll be me.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm sat with Fraser who's dictating some of his reponses to help with the volume.

So allow me to introduce myself... I'm Thomson Cruises Brand & Communications Manager.

Fraser spent the last couple of weeks preparing some key messages in advance of tonight's session. You're such an enthusiastic bunch and there are a lot of questions to get through - there were over 80 questions already post.

Tori

That'll be me.

Sorry for the confusion.

I'm sat with Fraser who's dictating some of his reponses to help with the volume.

So allow me to introduce myself... I'm Thomson Cruises Brand & Communications Manager.

Fraser spent the last couple of weeks preparing some key messages in advance of tonight's session. You're such an enthusiastic bunch and there are a lot of questions to get through - there were over 80 questions already post.

Tori

Thanks Tori , your doing a Stirling job between you :)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

That'll be me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tori

Thanks for the clarification, and also thank you to you all for answering our queries. Looking at the past Q&A's that have been done on this forum, I can definitely say that the answers you have been giving are much better than the other cruise lines that seem to give very standard answers. :)

So that's it for the night. I have to say I'm impressed. A lot of questions answered there that I didn't think would be.

I've copied all the answers over so will try and upload them all on a new thread in a bit so that everyone doesn't have to keep going in and out of different threads in the Q&A.

woop woop .....:D

Dreamgirl1957

Cool Cruiser

hello again!

Have Thomsons ever thought of doing a one week cruise and stay?

You could do a 4 day cruise with a 3 day stay then swap it around to finish the week for a second group of people or pop in a 10 or 11 day cruise to fit in with this.

Sure would be very popular and would give new cruisers a taste so they would then re-book im sure.

Fraser Ellacott

Managing Director ~ Thomson Cruises

Good idea Dreamgirl1957, keep them coming. I'll pass this one on to our planning team.

Fraser

Fraser Ellacott

Managing Director,

Thomson Cruises

very chuffed he liked my idea, it doesnt take much to keep me happy .....:):)

1. No Powered Wheelchairs Onboard

willow148

Q: Why does Thomson refuse to accept powered wheelchairs onboard? I'd love to do the Red Sea itinerary, but can't do it because I can't manage a manual wheelchair on my own, and I'm not prepared to give up my independence, or force my travelling companion to give up their holiday to be my 'pusher'.

A: You'll be pleased to hear that we've recently updated our policy and we do now accept powered wheelchairs onboard our ships. There is certain health and safety conditions in place to make sure you, your fellow passengers and the crew get the best out of your break but they're not very strict. So you shouldn't have any difficulty bringing your electric wheelchair onboard in the future, but please see our booking conditions and speak to our Special Assistance team if necessary.

2. New Build Ship?

Sailaway487

Q: Over the past month there have been rumours on the forum regarding a new build ship that could be introduced to Thomson in the next few years. Certain staff from Thomson have 'hinted' at a new build ship for the higher end of the market. Is there any truth in this rumour? If it is true, can you tell us any information regarding the size of the ship, facilities on board and if it is going to be tailored to a more Premium-style cruise line?

A: I've made no secret of our plans to modernise the fleet. A new build would be fantastic and is something we're keen to take forward. It would need considerable investment, though, so we'll be looking at all the avenues open to us. New build, newer existing ships, further remodels - we're not ruling anything out at the moment. Whatever we decide, it's about moving forwards and continuing to modernise.

3. Thomson Destiny to Return?

Sailaway487

Q: There have been reports on this forum and another that Thomson Destiny is set to return to the Thomson Cruises fleet as early as January 2013. Is there any truth in this? It has been reported that Thomson need an extra ship due to new destinations. If it is to return, where will it be sailing, and will it receive any sort of refurbishment before it starts to sail?

Also, Thomson Destiny was initially swapped with the then Louis Majesty because it was deemed too old. If it is to return, do you think that there may be problems by reintroducing it after previous comments regarding the reason for the initial swap?

A: I have to say, this one is news to us. We've got no plans to reintroduce Thomson Destiny to the fleet - now or later. As you rightly point out, it would be foolish to try to reintegrate the ship after replacing her with Thomson Majesty earlier this year.

4. An International Brand

Sailaway487

Q: At the ACE Cruise Convention, it was reported that you said you were looking at, in the future, to change the Thomson Cruises brand to an international brand to attract customers worldwide, and this may result in a new name for the cruise line. A worry on here is that the 'traditional' aspects of Thomson Cruises might be lost if the brand was to go international. It is a general feeling on this forum that the Britishness of the atmosphere on board is what makes people return. For example, afternoon tea, the style of entertainment, and the friendly ambience on board is something that many of us don't want to see disappear. Can you make any reassurances that, if the brand did go international, that these aspects would stay?

A: Hopefully I can set your mind at rest here. What we're hoping to do is draw a bit more on our European and Canadian TUI connections and encourage the areas of the business that don't have their own cruise programmes to sell ours. We already do this to a degree but in very small numbers. Like you, though, we're keen to preserve our core product. We realise that there are certain things we're very good at and that's what keeps you all coming back for more. So rest-assured, afternoon tea, our entertainment and friendly atmosphere are here to stay.

5. The Future

GOCRUISE99

Q: My parents always cruise with Thomson Cruises and they do sound really nice, the only thing that puts me and my husband off trying Thomson is the fact that the ships are older and do not have balconies.

Are there any plans in the pipeline to update the fleet and add newer/bigger ships that have balconies?

A: We're constantly looking at ways to improve and modernise our fleet. The imminent Platinum Cruises launch being a case in point. And, as we continue to modernise, balconies will be a key feature. We're already assessing the potential of our current fleet to have balconies added and, of course, Thomson Dream already has some balcony cabins. Ultimately, a new build ship would definitely be a nirvana for us. And, if we were to build our own ship, a higher percentage of balcony cabins would be near the top of the agenda. That said, I'm positive you'd have a great time on any of our ships regardless.

6. Dream Refurbishment

CRUISIN LINDA

Q: Will the re-fit of the Dream include a self-service laundry? I believe there was one originally when it was the Costa Europa/Westerdam.

Also, are there plans to change the buffet in the Lido to avoid the long queues? On some ships we have been on, they have islands for different foods.

A: Sadly, Thomson Dream won't be gaining a self-service laundry - and it didn't have one as Costa Europa either. We did do a thorough investigation of the ship to assess whether or not a laundry was a viable option but there wasn't an obvious home for a laundry, or a location with enough space.

The Lido buffet is getting a big update. We're adding a whole new buffet line out on deck and making more space inside for certain foods - much like the islands you mention.

7. Loyalty Scheme?

kruzseeka

Q: What proposals may be in the pipe-line regarding some kind of loyalty programme? (I was hearing with envy from friends who have done very few cruises how they have already accrued benefits from other cruise-lines!).

And with any such benefits would there be any retrospective recognition of previous customers?

A: Obviously, I'm still quite new to the cruise world but one of the first things I noticed was that we're one of very few cruise companies not to have our own loyalty scheme. So it's definitely something we're looking into. Some of you may be aware - especially if you were one of lucky few - that we've been conducting trials on different loyalty perks over the summer. It's very much a work in progress at the moment. With that in mind, let me put the question back to you. If Thomson Cruises had a loyalty scheme, what benefits would you really like to see as part of it?

8. Entertainment - Future Direction?

kruzseeka

Q: Is there a commitment to maintaining the number of shows per week and no softly, softly approach to diluting these with alternative (cheaper) offerings e.g. plays, more Concerto style shows etc.?

A: The quality of our entertainment is something we're very proud of. I realise there was some speculation when we introduced Thomson Majesty that the different style of entertainment was the beginning of a programme of changes. Let me reassure you that that is not the case. In fact, we've made some changes on Thomson Majesty - based on your feedback - that allow us to get the entertainment closer to the shows you know and love. If we were to change our entertainment, it would only be to offer more choice.

9. Dreamliner - Opening Up New Cruise Areas?

kruzseeka

Q: When the Dreamliner’s come into operation do you see this as an opportunity to extend the range of Thomson Cruises destinations e.g. into the Far East?

A: In the short term, we'll be using the Dreamliner to take you to the Caribbean. We've introduced weekly Dreamliner flights from Gatwick and Manchester for winter 2013. Longer term, we're still looking at our options. We're hoping to add a new home port for winter 2014 which will allow us to expand our Cruise & Stay portfolio. It's too early to say where this will be but you may have seen some of the new destinations we're looking at in our Facebook poll, they include Pacific Mexico, the Far East and the Indian Ocean.

10. The Future Post 2014

Malch_uk

Q: It has been reported on here that the leases for Spirit and Majesty finish at the end of 2014. Are you able to give any information about your plans for the subsequent years? Will the refurbished Dream and Celebration have new companions on the high seas? If so, can you give any clues as to the types of vessels these may be?

On another subject, please do not change the style of entertainment or the characteristics of the staff/crew. They are just great!

A: Thanks for the warm welcome. You're absolutely right, the leases for Thomson Majesty and Thomson Spirit are due to expire at the end of 2014. This is no different to last 10 years or so where the leases have expired from time to time - I think this was last reviewed in 2011. We're currently looking at all our options as part of our modernisation plans. Which will obviously include renewing their leases or even replacing them. Thomson Dream and Thomson Celebration are part of our long term plans and will be part of the fleet for a good many years to come. And as for our onboard experience, we've got no plans to change our focus on entertainment, staff and service. We know this is what keeps you coming back to us year after year. In fact our retention levels are at a record high of 54% this year which proves we're doing somthing right. The crew are key to this, they're fantastic. In fact, it's crew service that regularly tops our customer satisfaction score charts.

11. All-Encompassing Online Booking System

Len Baker

Q: Could each lead passenger have the facility within their own secure Thomson account to book all aspects of a cruise or cruise & stay online i.e. book a cabin number, do cabin upgrades, flights, excursions, order currency and on board extras etc.?

This would be regardless of where the cruise was booked, as while we like to support our local travel agent it is tedious having to call in to pay and deal with phone calls all of which we feel are designed to sell us more.

A: As I’m sure you’re aware, we currently don’t have the capability to carry out these actions online. However, as a business, we’re currently modernising all of our systems. This means that in the future you’ll be able to have more control of your booking and tailor it to suit your needs. We’re still in the early stages of this process, so we can’t guarantee if all those aspects you’ve listed will be covered and when.

12. Using Bodrum Instead of Marmaris?

Sailaway487

Q: When cruising from Marmaris on Thomson Celebration, the main problem I experience is the long transfer from Dalaman Airport, especially if you are placed on an older coach that has poor air conditioning. Would it be possible to use Bodrum as a home port instead? I know there are issues regarding the need of a range of flights from UK airports, Cruise & Stay options and port facilities. Would it then be possible, or do some of these factors mean that Bodrum can't be used as a home port?

A: Unfortunately, Bodrum isn't really an option as a turnaround port for us for a couple of reasons. There's a much smaller hotel selection than the Dalaman region, which would reduce the range of our Cruise & Stay portfolio. In addition to that, the flying programme is limited. Bodrum flight times tend to be at very antisocial hours of the day.

13. Thomson Celebration Refurbishment

Sailaway487 & wkdsal

Q: With Thomson Celebration having its Platinum refurbishment this winter season, I was wondering when this is going to occur? It seems that it doesn't have a break this season; instead it is doing the Red Sea Magic itinerary all season. Will the refurbishment happen when the ship is sailing then? If so, what sort of impact is expected on people cruising on her? Will public areas have to be closed off regularly so that work can be carried out?

We are on this cruise on 29 Nov in an outside cabin on deck 2, have heard that some of the lower decks have been refurbished. Is this true?

Also concerned about any work that may be going on whilst on the cruise, can you put our minds at rest that it won’t impact on our enjoyment.

I realise now after I previously posted this question that Celebration's refit has now been complete. Is all the work now done? If so, how come it isn't officially classed as a Platinum ship until May?

A: Thomson Celebration's transformation is already underway. In fact, we started work in March this year, making over a few cabins at a time. So far, there haven't been any reports of the work disturbing our guests' holidays. The work on the public areas was completed before she moved to the Red Sea, so she's well on her way to being Platinum already. And, the rest of the cabins will be done on a rolling basis throughout the winter season, one small block at a time. This is similar to the routine maintenance that all ships will complete during their life at sea, so it's nothing to worry about. I don't mind sharing with you that I'm holidaying onboard Thomson Celebration, with my family, this winter and I'm not expecting the work to have any sort of impact on our break.

And, of course, she can't be fully classed as Platinum until all the work is finished. Some of the cabins on deck 3 have been completed but not all of them - I'll try and find out approximate percentages on each deck for you.

14. Excess Baggage When Booking Online

Sailaway487

Q: When booking online, the excess baggage of 25 kg is automatically added to the booking, and you have to deselect it, or a charge of £19.50 each is added to your cruise. Please can this be altered to how it was before, where you have to select that you want excess baggage instead of it being already chosen. It is very easy to miss, and I think unfair that people may be booking excess baggage because it is already selected, not realising.

A: We pre-select options where we feel customers may benefit from them, but also allow the flexibility to remove these if you'd prefer to travel without them and save a little money. We used to provide 23kg of luggage allowance for cruise passengers but changed this to 20kg to make sure we were consistent with Thomson's other premium products. And, because we get such high levels of repeat passengers, we wanted to make sure that our customers didn't accidently travel with too much luggage and pick up excess baggage charges at the airport. With that in mind, we pre-select the extra 5kg for all cruise customers. That said, we also provide a phone number and email address on our booking confirmation emails so that customers can make amendments to their holidays, and would always encourage you to check your documents as soon as they come through. We're happy to remove baggage upgrades if you feel you've missed this during the booking process. Just give us a call or drop us an email.

15. Revamping Quizzes and Game Shows

robanddiane

Q: We have found the quizzes and game shows excellent on our Thomson cruises, but would like to know if there any plans to update these. On our recent cruise we met people who had kept all the answers from their previous cruises, and this did spoil the quizzes for other people. I know it is only a bit of fun but let's give everyone a fair chance.

A: Great point. To be honest, we hadn't really thought about people holding on to answers for future cruises being an issue. It's definitely something we'll look into.

16. Itineraries from Harwich

kruzseeka

Q: Thomson used to do a North Cape itinerary from Harwich (we went from there) but this year and next year Spirit doesn't do either the North Cape or Iceland itineraries from Harwich. I realise it's further to travel compared with a Newcastle sailing although many cruise lines include Iceland and the North Cape sailing from Southampton. I find the choice of itineraries from Harwich (mainly one week Fjords and Baltic cruises) a bit restricted although you have included a new round Britain itinerary from this port.

Is the balance of sailings between Newcastle and Harwich optimal? (Clearly profitability is an issue here and one which I understand will drive your planning) but I wonder whether coming to Harwich a week or two earlier and throwing in a bit more variety would be worth considering?

Can we perhaps look forward to a 14-night North Cape or Iceland cruise from Harwich in the future?

A: We're working on plans for summer 2014 as we speak so now's the perfect time for this question. As you've probably noticed, we try and vary things a little every season - even when we don't have new regions to play with - and 2014 will be no exception. Although we have no plans to extend the Harwich season, we're currently exploring the idea of a UK and Ireland cruise, an additional Iceland sailing and, maybe, an Arctic itinerary of some sort. We're also looking at more ports in the UK for turnaround but Newcastle will still be on the menu for summer 2014. If you've got any other ideas for new destinations to spice up our itineraries, we're always looking at ways to invigorate our customer experience.

17. Newcastle in 2014?

Sailaway487

Q: It was reported on the forum a few months back that Thomson were not going to be doing ex-UK cruises in summer 2014. However, we have since found the cruise schedule for Norwegian ports, and it seems that Thomson Spirit will be docking in 2014. However, it seems that reports suggest that Newcastle will not be used as a home port from 2014. Is this true? Also, are other ports, such as Liverpool or Southampton being considered from 2014, or will it continue to be Newcastle and Harwich?

A: I'm pleased to say that we're committed to sailing out of the UK in 2014 and we're looking at introducing a little more variety. Newcastle is definitely here to stay but we're looking extra ports we might be able to introduce for turnaround. Keep your eyes peeled for the April edition brochures to find out which ports made the grade for summer 2014.

18. Dream Dry Dock

geomagot

Q: There is some debate as to where the Dream will be going into dry dock this November?

I presume it will be Hamburg again? If so, are there plans to protect the ship from possible freezing weather in Hamburg and to conduct adequate sea trials before embarking passengers this time.

I am sure neither of us would want a repeat performance of the problems that became manifest during the Transatlantic and Christmas/New Year 2010/11 cruise, where the A/C and numerous other structures were damaged during this dry dock.

We were aboard one of these cruises and there were many problems but we still enjoyed the cruise most notably for the fabulous (Cuba/Jamaica) itinerary

A: We will indeed be in Hamburg - as this is the only place that Thomson Dream can have the routine maintenance to her props done - and, yes, there are plans in place. As you may recall, that was a particularly cold winter for most of us in northern Europe. It was before I joined the cruise team but I'm told we experienced temperatures as low -18 deg C while docked in Hamburg. And, sadly, before this ship joined our fleet, her air-conditioning system had been rather neglected. Those two factors, combined with a tiny amount of water remaining in the air-handling units after they were drained, was enough to freeze and fracture the fragile metal. We've since replaced the worn pipes and, therefore, shouldn't have the same problems again. But, to be on the safe side, we're also providing extra heating and insulation for these areas in dry dock. Of course, all the Platinum works will be completed at the same time. We'll then reposition to Lisbon ready for the transatlantic sailing, which gives us chance to do a sea trial without any passengers onboard. We'll have a full crew onboard, along with the workmen finishing off their project, so this will give us chance to identify any issues.

19. Our Security

kalos

Q: Thomson rightly boasts "Unlike many of our competitors, our prices include all tips and service charges.”

Well done, as lots of other cruise companies are now following in your footsteps, right down to drinks packages.

I would say this is a good thing Thomson do. Now if only you could add to it the cabin safes, free of charge.

Do you intend to look at this in the near future?

A: I'm afraid this is a short answer. We don't have any plans to change our policy at the moment.

20. Disability Dilemma

dun123das

Q: We are long-standing customers of Thomson, mostly as cruisers but also as clients who love the Thomson Gold hotels. However, we have recently had to defect to other cruise lines because our highly independent, professional son uses a wheelchair. Despite the fact that he has his own flat, has a professional position at our local Council, and drives his own car all over the country - it appears that he is deemed incapable of occupying a Thomson cruise cabin on his own, even when his dad and I want book a cabin within easy reach of his. Not only does this appear to be in contravention of Equal Opportunities, it does not reflect Thomson's usual attitude of caring. He has travelled on P&O’s Ventura and MSC Opera (occupying a non-adapted inside cabin) and if Thomson's ethos in this respect does not change, we will have to look at alternatives again In the future. Can you please give your response to the question "Will Thomson be considering assessing individual circumstances in respect of disabled passengers in the future?"

A: Absolutely. In fact, we've recently reviewed our policy, changing it from a strict set of rules to a more risk assessment-based approach. Once we've been able to assess your son's individual needs and our safety requirements, I'm confident we should be able to accommodate him. That said, we do recommend you give our Special Assistance Team a call if you have any concerns.

21. Thomson Branding Rumours?

geomagot

Q: So far we like the sound of the forthcoming upgrade to Thomson Platinum onboard Dream & Celebration. We like the AI as standard onboard the Island Escape (Island Majesty/Destiny has nice ring BTW). I have been reading elsewhere on the web that one of your main focuses is to bring the cruise message to a new audience and that Thomson holidays with their large network of shops is ideally placed for this purpose. Along with expanding cruise and stay options.

If so, will there be newer/bigger ships to accommodate the new audience? And new destinations to accommodate the new cruise and stay options? (Far East please). There have been many rumours that we may be seeing further Thomson branding on the fleet in the future, such as, cruise products that would be similar to a land based product/offering from Thomson, a transparent product that clients would be acquainted with and trust. If this is one your considerations, would these be bolt on brands/offerings or will whole ships be turned over? And lastly, value for money is probably the top consideration for me when booking a cruise. So I have to ask, will all these multi-million pound refits significantly affect the fares that we all pay?

A: I've made no secret of our plans to modernise and, of course, Platinum was part of this. It was the key to aligning our strategy to the tour operation, giving you products you can recognise with standards you can rely on. The holy grail for us would be a new build but that's a big leap from what we have now. Product developments go hand-in-hand with any upgrades so, as we continue to modernise, we will look at the suitability of other Thomson sub-brands.

Of course, future planning also means looking at our range of destinations. We know that this, along with our port intensive itineraries, keep customers coming back for more so we try to get some variety in even when we're not venturing into new regions. For example, the Azores, Bermuda, Cuba, Grand Turk and the Grenadines are all on the agenda for winter 2013. We're busy planning summer 2014, and the following winter, now and I promise there will be more new destinations for you to choose from. We hope to have a new home port for the winter, too, which will allow us to expand our Cruise & Stay portfolio. You may have seen some of the destinations we're looking into on our Facebook poll, they include Pacific Mexico, the Far East and the Indian Ocean.

On the subject of Cruise & Stay, we review our accommodation choices constantly - acting on customer feedback, looking at new options and making sure there's something to suit every pocket and need. Cruise & Stay is such a big part of our market and really gives us an edge over the competition - no other cruise company can match us on choice, especially when it comes to unique products you can only get through Thomson. Next winter - and this is a bit of breaking news, as the brochure isn't out yet - we'll be adding hotels in the north of Tenerife to our collection, as well as more Platinum properties in Sharm, Turkey and Barbados.

There are a number of different factors that drive pricing and underlying cost is just one of them. Obviously there are profit targets to consider, as well as the economic climate, exchange rates and competitor activity - to name just a few. But the biggest single factor - regardless of the level of investment - will always be demand. The most popular itineraries will generally be more expensive as they're more sought-after.

That said, we understand that value is one of many reasons passengers choose to sail with us which is why we strive to offer great value incentives for early bookers and include tips and service charges in our prices. Our customer satisfaction and retention rates show this works for us - 90% of our customers rate us either good or excellent fo holiday overall, and 54% have come back for more this year.

22. Summer 2014 Itineraries

Sailaway487 & lilys gran

Q: Is there going to be anything new for summer 2014 itinerary wise? Any new ports of call to be added or reintroduced? Are the ships going to be sailing from the same ports as currently, or are they going to be swapped around?

Also, Thomson is usually one of the last cruise lines to bring out their itineraries for the following summer season. Could this date be brought forward at all for next year’s summer launch? I know that it usually has to depend on the main Thomson package holiday launch, because of accommodation and flight details. But is there any chance that this could be changed, and the brochure is launched in February time instead, more in line with other cruise lines?

To add to my question, I have noticed on the Palma, Gibraltar and French Riviera port authority websites that there seems to be an odd pattern of ships for summer 2014. Thomson Dream is down to sail from Palma in May and June, and then in September and October, with Thomson Majesty taking over sailings in July and August. What is the reason for this decision? Also, where will Thomson Dream and Thomson Majesty be when they are not sailing from Palma?

What ships and what itineraries are planned for 2014? Plus any additional swaps planned as with the Destiny/Majesty swap?

I for one who have enjoyed the Thomson ships (before this year) am nervous to book again as I don’t think I would get what I had booked or equally similar i.e. ports of call, quality of ship etc.

A: The reason we launch our new seasons when we do is because we're part of a larger tour operation and it makes sense to align ourselves with their launch. This means you get the best out of our Cruise & Stay portfolio as we can update in tandem with our beach products. We do occasionally launch a season early, as we have for the Caribbean. And, we're considering doing this for UK sailings in summer 2014, too. As for itineraries, we're considering more repositional cruises that will give you the chance to visit two different regions on one cruise - combining eastern and western Mediterranean, for example. This does, of course, mean that there'll be an element of ships swapping around - location-wise. It's important that anyone who follows a particular ship has some choice each year. We'd also like to extend our Black Sea programme and introduce more small ports. New places we're assessing include Zadar in Croatia, Bastia in Corsica and Sorrento on Italy's Amalfi Coast.

23. Thomson Majesty’s and Thomson Spirit’s Contract

Sailaway487

Q: When Thomson Majesty swapped with Thomson Destiny, there wasn't any information given concerning how long the contract was for. I know that Thomson Destiny's was initially going to finish at the end of 2014. As Thomson Majesty was a direct swap, is this the case with its contract too?

Also, I know that Thomson Spirit's contract is also coming to an end at the end of 2014. Will it be renewed? I know that at that point it would have been in the fleet for over 11 years, and so far, it hasn't been announced that any major refurbishment works will be done to it. Will it then leave the fleet when its contract is up?

A: You're spot on here. Both Thomson Spirit and Thomson Majesty come to the end of their leases in 2014. This means, as we do every three years or so, we're currently looking at all the different options that are open to us - including renewing contracts or even replacing them entirely. Whatever we decide, modernisation will be the key driving factor.

24. Double Beds on the Dream

newone1960

Q: Will Thomson be providing any proper double beds on the Dream after the refurb. I understand single beds provide greater flexibility for Thomson, but 2 singles pushed together are not as comfortable as a proper double bed.

A: We have three fixed double beds in the forward cabins on deck 4. We won't be changing any of our twin-to-double convertibles into fixed double beds as we get as many passengers who prefer twin beds as we do customers requesting doubles.

25. Destiny

newone1960

Q: Is there any truth in the rumour that Thomson is bringing the Destiny back into service?

A: We have no plans to bring back Thomson Destiny, so this is news to us.

26. Margarita Islands

newone1960

Q: Have Thomson any plans to drop Margarita Island from their Caribbean cruises. There were a large number of complaints about this stop from the passengers on the cruise I was on in March. There are so many lovely islands in that area; I am not sure why Thomson insists on stopping at Margarita Island.

A: Thanks for your feedback. We've already introduced three new itineraries for winter 2013 and Margarita doesn't feature in any of them.

27. Island Escape All Inclusive from 2013

Stevio

Q: To encourage booking for those that do not drink that much alcohol, could not the coffee in Cafe Brazil be included together with all soft drinks including bottled water on the now compulsory “All Inclusive”?… Have always thought it strange that you could have as much whisky as you like but would be charged for a bottle of water.

A: This is something we did quite a bit of research into when we made the decision to move Island Cruises to being completely All Inclusive. Our All Inclusive package is seen as great value - especially now we've introduced glasses of bottled water - so we didn't want to upset the apple cart by changing too much too soon. As it stands, our All Inclusive package is more generous than the majority of land-based hotels, and indeed, many other cruise lines.

Island Escape is resting up for the winter at the moment but we're not planning to do a major refit.

28. Salon Sales

newone1960

Q: Would it be possible to ask salon staff not to push product sales on clients in the salon. The salon staff are usually nice but they are very persistent when trying to sell products, and it puts me off having treatments because I don't want to find myself in this kind of awkward situation.

A: The spa teams offer their products so that you can enjoy the benefits of an 'at home' spa. Many customers like to take the experience home with them. But this shouldn't be something that puts you off booking a treatment. Just let them know, when you first get there, that you won't be buying any products and you can enjoy your visit minus the sales patter.

29. Online Cabin Selection

Sailaway487

Q: With most other cruise lines, when you book your cruise online, you can book your exact cabin number then and there, without having to ring up afterwards to choose. Instead, a deck plan appears and you can select your exact cabin that you want, similar to the service Thomson Airways use to Select Your Seat. Although, this time, you select your cabin when you are actually booking. Is there any chance Thomson could do something like this instead?

A: TUI as a whole are in the process of modernising our selling systems. We hope, that as part of this, we will be able to offer a slicker online booking process - but it's still early days so we can't make guarantees at the moment.

30. Water Dispensers

Q: I am due to go on the Celebration on 29th November. I read on this forum that chilled water dispensers have been removed and you have to go to the bar to get a glass or two poured for you. I see this as a blatant attempt to get customers to buy bottled water, at inflated prices. If this is not the case can you explain why the dispensers have been removed and will they be re-installed by the time I go aboard please?

A: Good question. We did some customer feedback recently that told us most people prefer to drink bottled water as the water onboard can sometimes taste a bit chlorinated. In light of this, we made the decision to offer bottled water by the glass for free in the bars. So there's no need to buy a bottle of water, unless of course you want to.

31. Soft Drinks Package

mrsbucket1

Q: Why do we have to pay for 2 Alcoholic Drinks Packages at £198 per person per cabin when sailing on Thomson Dream on 2nd Nov 2012?

Thomson policy states both parties in the cabin have to pay for the package.

My husband will do justice to this, but I don't drink alcohol that much and would be willing to pay as and when I had one!!!!! I consume mainly soft drinks and tea!!!

I feel aggrieved about this and think Thomson should be looking at their policy. I know this comes about due to people abusing it in the past, but I really do feel I am being forced to pay (wrongly!!!!) for something I don't really want!!!!!!

We challenged this earlier this year on a Royal Caribbean ship and were allowed to have 1 Alcoholic Package and 1 Soft Drink Package charged to our cabin, common sense prevailed (YEAH)!!

Come on Thomson, be fair!!

A: You might not like this answer and I do appreciate it's difficult when we penalise the many for the sins of the few. That said, it's the simplest way to prevent people taking advantage of the All Inclusive package. There are small proportion of people who would find a way to pay for one passenger and use their cards to buy drinks for two. But thank you for taking the time to comment. We’ll definitely look in to having a wider range of drinks packages in the future.

32. Havana Again?

kruzseeka

Q: Any possibility that you can ring the changes a bit on the Caribbean itineraries and go to Havana again?

Havana was absolutely fantastic - also thought Roatan was something very different and had real charm providing some contrast to the other Caribbean islands visited. It would be great to have these appear again in future itineraries. (I also agree with comments about Margarita Island - we've been three times now and there really is nothing there with limited excursions and little in the port area - it certainly puts me off itineraries where it's included.)

A: As we've just recently launched our long haul programme, you probably know the answer to this one already but I'll tell you anyway. We often tell you that your feedback is important to us, and we're not just telling you what you want to hear. We genuinely try to act on the things that are in our to change, which isn't always easy as we plan such a long way out. We've known for while now that you'd like to see Cuba back on the agenda. So, with that in mind, we've introduced an overnight in Havana to our transatlantic to the Caribbean next winter. And we're looking at whether we'll re-introduce a weekly visit to Cuba in 2014. Last but not least, you'll also be please to hear that Margarita doesn't feature in our winter 2013 sailings.

33. La Spezia and Sorrento

Sailaway487

Q: A port that many of us on this forum liked very much was La Spezia. Loved the opportunity to go to places like Cinque Terra and Portofino, but also have the option of Florence and Pisa. Livorno seems to be the only port to cover this area now, and is too far to visit stops like Cinque Terra. Is there any chance that La Spezia could make a return in 2014?

Also, this year it was noticed that Thomson Dream sometimes tendered in Sorrento instead of docking in Naples (I'm guessing for congestion reasons). Sorrento would be an excellent port to tender to, and I would love to see it permanently on an itinerary, as Naples isn't the nicest of places to dock.

Any chance of these two Italian ports to make a return for 2014?

A: Funny you should ask Sailaway487, but we've actually just introduced Sorrento as a permanent fixture on Thomson Dream's schedule for summer 2013 onwards. As you've said, we did try tendering a few times this summer and the positive feedback was overwhelming. Naples does have it's plus points, though, and we will still be calling there on some cruises. At the moment, we're not planning to return to La Spezia.

34. Never Cruised with Thomson

PRINCESSTHE BEST

Q: I have cruised numerous times with P&O, Cunard and Princess, but never with Thomson. How would you persuade me to cruise with your company?

A: There's actually a thread on the Thomson Cruises board that sums this up really well...

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com....php?t=1729690

But, if I had to sum it up myself, I'd say it all boils down to the atmosphere, the customers and the crew. We don't have the newest, biggest ships and we're don’t have quite the same level of facilities as bigger, newer ships. What we do have though is a really comfortable, friendly product. Our crew are widely acknowledged as the happiest and friendliest you'll come across. Our customers come from all walks of life, and age groups, so everyone feels at home. Combined, these make the atmosphere virtually unbeatable.

Of course, that's not all we've got to offer. Our entertainment is second to none - we work hard to make sure that it really is of a West End standard. Our range of regional airports is unrivalled in the cruise world - it comes from having our own airline at our fingertips - so you can fly from your doorstep and we look after all the way. And, of course, we have the whole of TUI UK & Ireland's hotel portfolio at our disposal which means you get a handpicked best-of-the bunch selection for our Cruise & Stay holidays.

I could carry on but we'd be here a while. Why not check out the Thomson Cruises board and talk to some of the regulars there. They'll tell you what keeps them coming back for more…..

Hope that helps PrincesstheBest!

35. One off Cruises

happy v

Q: Would it be possible to include more 'one off' cruises in a season? i.e. two weeks or longer.

A: This is one of many things we're working on for summer 2014. We'd like to introduce some longer eastern and western Med cruises that allow us to put together some more varied itineraries.

36. Adriatic Explorer

Sailaway487

Q: This isn't really a question, but instead I'd just like to say never get rid of Corfu as a home port, as then you won't be able to operate Adriatic Explorer.

I think I speak for many on this forum that this itinerary is one of, if not the best that Thomson operates. It's great that not only the main ports of Venice and Dubrovnik are included, but also lesser known stops that most cruise lines don't visit, such as Koper and Kotor are in it too. In fact, two different Adriatic itineraries I think would be a great idea, as there are so many fantastic places to visit around here.

A: I wholeheartedly agree and I'm happy to say that we've got no plans to move away from Corfu in the short term. Two different Adriatic sailings are difficult to pull together due to the number of ports you can visit in the time frame and distances we're working with. That's not to say we aren't trying to get more out of the Adriatic, though. We've cut back on Aegean sailings for summer 2013 and added a new itinerary that takes you from Corfu to places like Malta and Sicily.

37. Embarking in Madeira

kate52

Q: Up to this year, the Canaries cruise had the option of embarking in Madeira. Would it be possible to re-instate this? It would give people the opportunity of a shorter flight, and a full day to explore Tenerife.

A: This won't be what you want to hear I'm afraid but we removed Madeira as an embarkation port in response to customer feedback - lack of demand was a big factor, too. Sorry but we don't have any plans to re-introduce it.

38. No Fly Short Cruises from UK Ports

geomagot

Q: How about a few no fly short cruises from UK ports, less than 7 days, the cruise equivalent of a hotel based city break, German Christmas markets, Amsterdam, Copenhagen.

Could be popular with people marking family occasions, and would also serve as a taster.

A: We've got the Weekend Affair 4-night cruise from the UK and we wouldn't rule out offering more of these short taster cruises in the future. We don't have plans to operate Christmas or winter cruises from the UK in the near future but are looking at introducing new itineraries for summer 2014. Thanks for your feedback though - it's really useful.

39. Will Thomson Continue to Market to the UK?

geomagot

Q: Will Thomson continue to market to the UK or are you looking to attract new international clients to expand the business?

A: We're a UK & Ireland-centric business and, as such, the UK and Ireland will always be our first port of call - excuse the pun - for customers. That said, we're always looking at other source markets within the TUI worldwide group. We already sell a small amount of cruises to the Nordic, Spanish, Indian and Maltese markets and, when we say we're looking to expand our international customer base, we're simply talking about an increase in the number of TUI source markets we promote to. These are largely English-speaking nations like Canada.

40. Crew Focus

geomagot

Q: Since the recent expose 'Cruises Undercover' on Channel 4, there have been some concerns mentioned regarding conditions for the crew. Would you give us an insight on what conditions are like for the crew onboard Thomson ships?

A: Well, we think our crew rentention rates - typically around 85% - speak for themselves. Our crew enjoy working for us. As we include tips and service charges in our prices, our crew get a fair wage and don't need to rely on tips to supplement this. Our crew live in comfortable cabins, have all their meals provided in a dedicated messroom - or restaurant if you like - and have access to a range of facilities including a crew bar, sundeck and gym. They also have subsidised internet and phone rates so they can keep in touch with their families. Plus, each ship has a crew club to make sure they have plenty of chances to enjoy their time with us - making sure they have access to perks ranging from free tours to party nights. Last but not least, it's worth mentioning that we always comply with the latest regulations concerning crew safety and working hours. We're proud of our crew and they're very important to the holiday experience we provide, if they were unhappy it would reflect badly on us.

41. Dream Refurb

Dreamgirl1957

Q: After the Platinum upgrade, will there be any change to the general standard of the food both in MDR and self-service please?

Apart from the changes to the cabins such as TV's will the tea making facilities be in all cabins or just some as I’ve read, and if so which ones?

Will bathrooms be upgraded?

What are the plans for the rest of the ship?

A: Interesting question, and as it happens I've just got back from Hamburg where work is well underway so it's very topical. Food-wise, we're not planning on making any major changes in the main dining room or the buffet, although there may be a few menu updates. The Orion Restaurant, Lido Restaurant and Medusa Lounge are all having full makeovers, we're building a completely new spa - right next to the salon, and we're completely renovating the pool area on Deck 9. There'll be new deck furniture, a new buffet line, stylish new decor and a canopy to make sure there's plenty of shaded seating. The cabins, meanwhile, are also getting a facelift - including the addition of flatscreen TVs and tea and coffee-making facilities in all cabins. That said, the bathrooms are already in pretty good shape so we're just giving them some routine TLC and replacing the last of the pink bathtubs. Last but not least, the whole ship is getting some well-deserved care and attention. As part of this, we'll be replacing the stairway and corridor carpeting. Regarding your last post on mattresses, we change these on an ongoing basis across all our ships although we're paying particular attention to this area during the Platinum refurb. In terms of surprises up our sleeve I really hope all the changes will delight you enough when you see them...

42. New Website in 2013

Sailaway487

Q: I read in the recent Thomson Airways Inflight magazine that Thomson is looking to update its website next year. Will this also include the Cruise section of the site? If it does, what can we expect from the new site? Some things that we'd like to see added are:

- 360 degree views of areas of the ship.

- A more streamlined booking process.

- An FAQs section that is separate from the main Thomson site, as often information on here, such as that regarding baggage allowances, is not applicable to cruise bookings and can confuse you.

- The ability to put a number of days either side of your search when booking instead of an exact date.

- A separate website to the main Thomson one.

Any information regarding what could be included in the overhaul would be much appreciated.

A: There is some development work - as part of our overall modernisation - going on behind the scenes at the moment. But it's still very early days for cruise and none of our plans are concrete enough to share with you. So, if you've got any other ideas for things you'd like to see included on our website now is an excellent time to share your thoughts.

43. Thomson Spirit

johnoe

Q: Could you please tell me if the Spirit is the next ship to be replaced? If so, when?

A: We don't have any plans to replace Thomson Spirit before 2014 when her contract comes to an end - which is no different to the other times over the past 10 years when her contract has come up for renewal. We're currently working with Louis Cruise Lines to review all the options open to us, including renewing our contract. Whatever we do, modernisation will be at the heart of our decision.

44. 20 kg Weight Limit

newone1960

Q: Thomson used to allow 23 kg free but it is now only allowing 20 kg free. This is not enough for a cruise when you take into consideration DJ's, dresses etc. Any plans to increase this for cruise passengers?

A: Every now and again, Thomson or TUI review their policies across all products. In the case of luggage allowances, there were big differences between which products had what as standard and it was confusing for customers. We now have a standard luggage allowance of 15kg but our premium products - cruise included - we add an extra 5kg for free to make this up to 20kg. It makes the whole question of luggage allowances much clearer, meaning you can make an informed decision on whether or not you want to upgrade. We kept our slightly bigger hand luggage allowance for cruise passengers though and hope that goes a little way towards making up for the change.

45. Price Promise

Sailaway487

Q: Many other cruise lines have adopted a Price Promise scheme, where if the price goes down after you book; you can get the extra amount that you paid back with on board credit or a cabin upgrade. Would Thomson ever consider doing something like this, as currently the price of a cruise, once it goes on sale and the price a couple of weeks before fluctuates a lot.

A: I'm afraid we're not looking at a price promise guarantee at the moment.

46. Black Sea Odyssey Itinerary

Sailaway487

Q: Thomson used to do a 14 night Black Sea itinerary from Corfu Town on The Emerald, and then later on Thomson Celebration. I am very pleased to see that the Black Sea is once again appearing on the itineraries for next year from Marmaris, but the only problem with a 7 night itinerary is that you can't get to some places in the Black Sea, especially Yalta and Odessa. Is there any chance that this or a similar itinerary could return in the future from either Corfu or Marmaris?

A: We're looking at ways to work in a 14-night cruise in the Black Sea into our summer 2014 schedule as it's something we'd really like to re-introduce. If we do, rest assured Yalta and Odessa would feature on the itinerary.

47. Wine, Beer and Soft Drink Packages

kruzseeka

Q: Would it be possible to offer separate wine/beer/soft drinks/hot drinks packages on board to cater for all passenger preferences? This would be a welcome addition to the AI offer for those who didn't get it as a freebie or feel the cost too great in consideration of their personal drinking habits. Packages allow passengers to select what suits them best.

(I know both Majesty and Spirit had packages on offer this year when we were on board but they were rather different - perhaps this could be standardised and rolled out across the fleet as with the AI when Dream and Celebration are brought into line with Spirit and Majesty).

A: We're always looking into new products. When we've done research in the past, there hasn’t been a lot of enthusiasm for new drinks packages as customers think our existing package is great value - especially when they get it free for early booking. That said, we're always open to ideas and you're in the best position to tell us what you want. So... what sort of packages would you like to see onboard?

48. New Build Ships

newone1960

Q: Does Thomson have any plans to build a new ship, rather than continue to buy previously owned ships.

A: A new ship is being considered as part of our modernisation plans. We're looking at all our options and big decisions like this take time to make. We'll have a clearer idea of where the future will take us in a year's time.

49. Flights from Scotland

tart6000

Q: I am booked on the Dream for the sail back from the Caribbean to Tenerife in April. For this cruise there are no flights from anywhere in Scotland to pick the ship up. I am quite sure that there will be a number of fellow Scots onboard, so can you tell me why there are no flights from our regional airports.

A: Being Scottish myself, this is a question that's close to my heart. We try to have a good range of regional flights for all cruises, covering all the far reaches of the UK. And where we have a hotel programme, this is relatively easy as we'll then share their flying schedule. For the Caribbean, it's more difficult. The flights and hotel packages in Barbados are created specifically to support cruise. As there are, by nature, less customers, we simply can't support the same range of regional airports. We try and keep it as fair as possible by offering flights from either Glasgow or Newcastle - usually offering one on the outbound transatlantic and the other on the inbound.

50. Agadir

Sailaway487

Q: In terms of the Colourful Coasts itinerary, it is often said by many that they are disappointed with the stop in Morocco in Agadir. I have noticed that you are now introducing a new Canary Islands itinerary that doesn't stop at Agadir; however it is only down to do four sailings. Could the number of sailing dates for this, or a similar itinerary without Agadir increase?

A: We've been listening to your feedback, we actually read the forum regularly as well as monitoring our usual customer channels, such as our satisfaction questionnaires, and have increased the number of non-Morocco Canaries itineraries. We'll also be introducing a new Azores cruise - keep an eye out for the new brochure next month.

51. Crew Tips

newone1960

Q: I understand that tips are included in the price passengers pay, but what proportion / % of the price we pay is set aside for the crew tips.

A: I'm sure you'll understand that we can't discuss commercial terms with anyone other than the crew themselves. What I can say is that we have very high crew retention rates, with 80 to 90% of our crew returning to work with us each year. They're paid wages based on a 'no-tipping' scale rather than by assigning them a percentage of the price you pay - prices and passenger numbers fluctuate from cruise to cruise, so it's fairer on the crew this way. We believe that our policy works best for both our crew and our customers, and the fact that our crew are so happy and highly rated in our customer satisfaction questionnaires is testament to that.

52. Paying My Balance Online

newone1960

Q: I can book my cruise online and pay a deposit online, but when it comes to paying my balance I have to do it over the phone. There is no facility to pay a cruise balance online. If you book a cruise you are not able to go into "Manage Your Booking Online" and pay your balance. Why can't you do that for Thomson Cruises when you can for Thomson holidays?

A: At the moment, our systems don't allow us to do this - I won't go into the details but, basically, our website is on a different platform to the rest of the tour operation. TUI as whole is going through a period of modernisation and we hope to enjoy some system improvements as part of this.

53. Future with Louis

Grez

Q: Louis have obviously played a big part in getting the Thomson Cruise brand to where it is today, but how will they fit into future Thomson strategy? It seems that after the debacle with the Norwegian Dream, Thomson have realised that they don't need Louis. Is this the case, or will Thomson continue to charter ships from Louis? Will Louis just be used as an agency for crew in the future?

A: We have a long and happy history of working with Louis Cruise Lines. They remain a key partner for us and, as we look to modernise our fleet, we'll be exploring our options with them.

54. Quizzes/Game shows

Grez

Q: Can we please ensure that the questions in game shows and quizzes are changed on a fairly regular basis. It does spoil it when you see a game show from the previous year that has the same questions - it’s fine to keep the same format. Same with quizzes, it’s not worth taking part if you already know the answers.

I know they are only for fun, but they aren't fun with repeated questions. There is no real excuse either - every pub quiz in the country can come up with 50 new questions each week. You could even have someone sat in front of Challenge TV for an hour if you really can't come up with new quizzes!

Quizzes should have a shelf life of 3-4 months max, and then should be binned. Not many people take more than 1 cruise in that time frame, so should avoid repeated questions.

A: We do update them from time-to-time, but before this Q & A session I wasn't aware that this was an issue. We'll definitely look into this further.

55. World Cruise

Grez

Q: Similar to the question on one-off cruises, are there any plans for World Cruises? The re-positional cruises are usually popular, so could Thomson introduce a World Cruise, which can obviously be broken down into smaller portions - e.g. 10, 20 days or whatever?

I know it is a logistical issue at the moment as Thomson doesn’t fly to all parts of the world, however that may change with the Dreamliner - I don't know? If a newer ship came into the fleet, that would free up the Dream to do this sort of itinerary. Certainly it could start by cruising to the parts of the world that can be realistically reached by using current air destinations.

One of the few complaints you do hear about Thomson Cruises is that people have done all the itineraries on offer, and that is why they move to try other cruise lines. This would help alleviate this problem.

A: We're not looking at world cruises specifically at the moment but nothing is off the table. There's definitely more scope to travel further afield now we have the Dreamliner. If we did decide to give world cruises a shot, what would your wish list destinations be?

56. Suites

lilys gran

Q: What Suite perks will there be on the Platinum ships?

A: You'll get all the perks of the other cabin grades, plus i-pod docking stations and premier service.

57. Cruise Ambassadors

Grez

Q: Once people have taken a cruise, usually they are hooked. However, getting people to actually take that first cruise is the hard part. This is for a number of reasons - the main ones being that they are daunted by the prospect and are too nervous to make the booking, or they have an out-dated concept of what cruising is e.g. stuck on a boat in the middle of the ocean with OAP's.

Some of these people find their way to Cruise Critic, where a number of members offer tips, advice etc. and help people make that first booking. If you have a look at some of the topics on the forum you will see just how friendly and knowledgeable these members are. They are an excellent advert for Thomson Cruises. Not everyone is going to find their way to Cruise Critic however, and may never make that first cruise booking.

Therefore, would there be scope to have some 'official' Thomson Cruise ambassadors - real people, real experiences - who could spend a few minutes each day helping those who need advice about cruising via some form of forum? Bear in mind that this is what many people are already doing on this forum. It could be advertised in brochures, in store, on the website. I'm sure that many current members would be happy to be involved.

Going forward, although it’s absolutely brilliant that we are having this Q+A session, what happens when it’s over? By having Cruise Ambassadors they can collate feedback/questions, and have quarterly updates with you so that you know what real customers are thinking and saying.

A: Social media is fairly new to us as a business but we've come on leaps and bounds in the past year. We've got a Thomson Facebook page, blogs and a social media customer service team who respond to queries on Twitter, Facebook and our blogs. Not only that but we have a team in the cruise division who regularly visit the different cruise forums and blogs, and feedback your comments to the relevant teams. You certainly keep us on our toes. In terms of brand ambassadors, it's not out of the realms of possibility. We're really interested in new ways to engage with our customers and hope to do more social media in the future that's dedicated to cruise.

58. Majesty a Mistake?

Sailaway487

Q: I understand this question might be a difficult one to answer, but now that it has been sailing since May, I would appreciate your thoughts regarding Thomson Majesty.

I know that reviews have improved considerably since the start of the summer season, but it does still seem that the general consensus from repeat Thomson cruisers is that Thomson Majesty doesn't really fit in with the rest of the fleet, some saying that it is there least favourite ship. It does seem that this ship does have issues regarding its entertainment programme (which I understand is being sorted for the winter), very small Standard Inside/Outside cabins, small buffet area, a crowded pool deck and limited space in the main dining rooms. Do you believe that the swap from Thomson Destiny to Thomson Majesty was a good one? I do understand that one of the main benefits of the Majesty is that it is much younger than the Destiny, but it does seem to come with some problems.

Also, the introduction of the Majesty seemed to be very quick, with only two months notice for customers. It had previously been mentioned on this forum that it was going to be introduced in November. Why was it such a quick swap? I think this is what annoyed many who had already booked on Thomson Destiny. They knew their ship, their exact cabin (some booked with balconies!) and also the entertainment programme. To go from West End style shows to Cabaret performances wasn't going to be a good move. Did you know at the time this was going to annoy people who had already booked?

There has also been speculation on here regarding the speed of the swap, and the reasons why it was so quick. Why wasn't it introduced in November or summer 2013, where people hadn't yet booked or had a long notice before they sailed? Was this then yours and Thomson's decision, or was it mainly Louis' decision as they wished to have the now Louis Olympia back, thus you had no choice? Also, it had been announced in January by yourself that there was going to be modernisation plans to the fleet. Why did it take so long to announce the Destiny and Majesty swap? If Thomson and Louis knew it was going to happen, why wasn't it announced sooner, thus giving those that had booked more notice about quite a major change to their cruise?

I do have to add though that I have seen and heard reviews from people that have enjoyed their cruise on Thomson Majesty, and I understand that some people regard different aspects of the ship as being of more importance than others. Also, the apparent change in entertainment for the winter season I think is a very good decision, and that this most certainly was the main issue for me regarding this ship. My main concern though is the time duration between the swap being announced and the ship actually sailing. Especially when there had already been previous problems when Thomson Dream had been launched when a quick transfer between Costa and Thomson was done.

Again, I understand that this might be a difficult question to answer, especially when it regards Louis Cruises also, but your opinion on the swap would be much appreciated

A: I’ll be really honest when I say that we appreciate the swap of the ships was done at very short notice although we did communicate the change to every customer as far as I am aware – really sorry if you heard about it from here first. I know it was an unpopular move with some people but we've, and especially the crew, worked really hard to turn things around. Her customer satisfaction scores are on a par with the other ships in the fleet and the majority of passengers love her. I have been on the ship 3 times now and spoken to many customers. I’ve also tracked the reviews on this forum (and others) over the summer months and they’ve really improved in line with our other ships. The demand for this ship is now very strong and we’re very pleased with both the winter demand in the Canaries and Corfu for next summer. She’s also just out of dry dock and we’ve made some additional improvements to the layout of the Jubilee Lounge along with a great new entertainment team.

glittergal, I’d love you to give it another chance in the future as I’m sure we could change your mind but your response seems pretty definite to me….sorry.

59. Ticket Booklet

happy v

Q: This is just a small thing but could we please have our ticket booklets back?

I know it will cut costs but a lot of us agree it was an excellent start to the holiday when your booklet arrived.

A: Unfortunately, this is one of those things you'll have to put down to progress. As businesses modernise and strive to be greener, you'll find a lot of the old paper processes will be mothballed. E-ticketing is a much more environmentally friendly way to give you your travel information, as you're given access to all the information you were given in our old tickets but you can choose exactly which bits you print to take with you.

60. It’s Time to Stop Dolphin Tours

greensparrow

Q: Please, it’s time to stop offering shore excursions that involve swimming with dolphins or trips involving any captive dolphins. These operators are just a money making scandal, especially Dolphin Discovery in Tortola where the dolphins are kept in very small cages with dirty water. Silversea have stopped selling swimming with the dolphin excursions. And all dolphin captivity is banned in the UK. It’s time to stop exploiting dolphins for our entertainment. It’s time to start respecting these intelligent playful creatures.

A: I can see that the welfare and protection of animals, both in captivity and in the wild, is really important to all of you. I can assure you that it’s also really important to me and our business. That's why we're committed to working with all our suppliers to ensure they comply with all relevant national and international legislation. We even have our own Animal Welfare policy that all suppliers must satisfy and we make sure all the excursions we offer are regularly audited, in addition we work closely with ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents), other industry partners and animal welfare NGOs worldwide (one being the Born Free Foundation), to make sure they all meet best practice. I know this is an emotive one, but hopefully I have provided some reassurance to you.

61. More Training for Cruise Sales Staff

Dreamgirl1957

Q: After reading another post and also the comments regarding both Thomson shop staff and other agency's staff's level of training and overall Thomson cruise knowledge, I would like to ask Mr Ellacott if this will be addressed in the future.

I worked as a TA until last year; I worked in a First Choice / Thomson franchise shop and although we did receive training on Thomson Cruises, I feel it was nowhere as thorough as the other cruise brands training. This is such a shame as i really feel Thomson have really got a good product in its cruises.

As pointed out in the post “Thompson Celebration 3rd September Great Cruise Shame about the Booking Staff” by cruisenewbie82 there are so many areas where staff defiantly need more training as in some cases customers are either being misled on some points or just not being given the service that should be expected especially on a Thomson product when sold in a Thomson shop.

Cruises are so different to land based holidays that extra training on this subject is very much needed. In fact although I was very keen indeed to learn all about cruises and soak up any training offered, I only really understood the product after I went on my first cruise (Thomson Spirit) even then I feel that people here on the forum know far more on the subject than I or in fact most TA’s .

A: We're very proud of our retail staff and their level of knowledge, they're really proactive when it comes to learning about all the different products on offer. Going forwards, we'll be investing in more training and educational ship visits - working with them to fill to gaps in their experience.

62. Gluten Free Meals

Julessmiles & Scarey Mary

Q1: Great to see that the Celebration this year have improved their understanding of gluten free meals; we had menus pre-printed with gluten free food choices and food in the Lido was marked gluten free too, this was great. We have always been well catered for with our gluten free diets but this was a welcome addition.

Not sure if it is but please can this be standardised on all ships? Spirit seems to have the "edge" on gluten free food choices - even down to making gluten free Baked Alaska, Bread Pudding, Creme Brulee and lots of other desserts every evening which were amazing; Celebration were very "hit & miss" with desserts; there was rice pudding if we were lucky. I know we're the minority but it could be a selling point if you can cater really well across all ships and offer a good choice of gluten free meals including desserts. To give you an example, Pizzahut in the UK have just introduced gluten free pizza bases in all their restaurants and the response has been amazing; a lot of branches have run out of the bases, as have the suppliers due to such huge demand - all down to successful marketing.

On this note, it would be helpful if cider could please be included in the All Inclusive option - Coeliacs can't drink beer or lager and therefore Cider is usually the closest "long" drink option available.

Finally - shame you are no longer offering the gluten free meal option - or indeed any gluten free food on your Thomson Flights. Again, lost revenue there; with 3 Coeliacs in our family, we always booked gluten free meal choices for the flights as I am sure a lot of other coeliacs did!

I was going to put on a question referring to people requiring gluten free meals but Jules beat me to it. I have to say my husband requires these and the service and choice he gets with Thomson is fantastic. BUT as Jules says unless the AI is reasonable or free we cannot take advantage of this because of the cider issue. Therefore PLEASE could the cider be included in the AI package across the fleet, as it is on the Celebration on draught in certain bars, or if not some sort of cider package.

A: We try to cater for all dietary requirements onboard the ships - be it vegetarian, lactose intolerance or Coeliac disease, to name a few. We don't advertise this overtly as, with the exception of vegetarian meals, it's something we like to know in advance of you travelling wherever possible. This just makes it easier for us to find you and cater for you once you're onboard. We do have plans to standardise our product across the fleet and, while we haven't got down to the nitty-gritty detail of things like menus, I would hope that dietary requirements would be covered as part of this.

In terms of cider, we do include it in the package onboard Thomson Dream and Thomson Celebration. We continue to work with our other onboard suppliers towards getting the best value for you.

Last but not least, the airline. I've had to go and ask some questions around this as it's not my specialist subject so hopefully I'll have managed to cover everything for you. On our long haul flights, where we still have a full in-flight meal service, the gluten free meal is still available as normal. For short haul we currently offer a gluten free Eat Natural bar, and we're testing other items at moment with a view to introducing them further down the line.

63. 10 Day Cruises

carolynne15

Q: Do you think Thomson will start doing 10 day cruises, as I find 7 days is not enough and 14 days too long so would be good to have a 10 day cruise.

A: There are a few options out there already. For example, you could do a 10-night Cruise & Stay holiday - coupling your 7-night cruise with a 3-night break in a hotel. A lot of our repositional cruises, like Thomson Dream's Springtime Splendours or Thomson Celebration's Portraits of the Past are part way between the 7 and 14-night durations. Plus, our cruises out of the UK include 9-night and 12-night options. We'll take you feedback onboard though and see what else we can do in the future.

64. Holland America Ships

Sailaway487

Q: I've read that Holland America Line are to be getting a brand new ship for delivery in 2015, and that they are considering in getting rid of some of their older ships. As Thomson currently has three ships that are ex-HAL, what are the chances regarding leasing one of the Statendam fleet? Being of similar size to Thomson Dream, I'd guess they'd fit in the fleet well.

A: I've spoken a lot both publically and on this forum about our plans to modernise. Looking at new - to us - ships is obviously part and parcel of this. We're exploring all our options which range from refurbishments right through to the Holy Grail of a new build. Clearly, this is a big decision and it will take time to reach a conclusion. We should have a much clearer vision of what our future business looks like a year or so down the line.

65. Island Cruises Future?

Sailaway487 & Stevio

Q: Since the TUI and First Choice merger, the Island Cruises brand seems to have been neglected slightly, which was noticed firstly by getting rid of Island Star and only retaining Island Escape. As Ocean Village are no longer operating, can you see the Island Cruises brand becoming of more importance and perhaps a possible expansion in the fleet for the future, and new destinations instead of just the standard 7 night itineraries from Palma?

To add to my question, I know some information might have been released by the time you answer, but it has been reported that Island Escape has now been sold to Korea, and that the crew on board have been made redundant. Is this true? When will the sale occur? What happens to existing Island Escape bookings? Will a ship be replacing, and if so which?

By the 8th of November 2012 the word on the web (& on this site) was that the Island Escape cruise ship has been sold off to Korea & the whole crew already made redundant... So (if true) how is it possible that as of the 11th Nov 2012, Thomson are still selling cruises on the said Island Escape & taking the money for confirmed cabins for 2013? It cannot be that it takes time to update the Thomson website as I have just witnessed the April booking I was looking at go up by £43.

I only ask as I know that Thomson have previous form for this type of fraudulent behaviour. When my Nov 2010 Island Escape booking ending up being “upgraded” on to the far inferior Thomson Destiny in September, while the company were still selling tickets for the Escape in October, I was prepared to accept that it was an unfortunate one off incident. Until they pulled the same stroke for the following winter of 2011, once again still selling last minute winter I.E. itinerary tickets even after crew members had blogged & tweeted that they were laid off again for the winter.

Mr Ellacott, should I book the Island Escape next year, which ship will I actually sail on?

A: Just to set the record straight before I get stuck into this question, we didn't get rid of Island Star. In fact, Island Cruises was a joint venture between First Choice and Royal Caribbean, and the Island Cruises fleet was broken up us part of the merger deal. We got Island Escape, while Island Star went back to Royal Caribbean. We've spent tens of millions of pound on Island Escape since we took her on in 2009, albeit mostly on the technical side. And we've had some great feedback about the work we did on her last winter - replacing the carpets and some of the soft furnishings.

At the moment, we're not thinking about expanding the Island fleet but the Island product is very popular so it's something we might look at in the future.

As for the sale rumours. They are just that, rumours. We get enquiries from time to time and, as you know, this isn't the first it's been a hot topic on the internet. Obviously, we can't discuss commercial information like this but rest assured we'll let our customers know if our circumstances change. The crew have certainly not been laid off. Island Escape isn't in service for the winter so their contracts have naturally come to an end. The agency they work for will be working with them to find them roles for the winter season.

66. Adult Only on Thomson Majesty

FIFE1

Q: I see the Majesty is now adults only in June and September. Can you explain the reasoning behind this? I am sure you are aware that schools in Scotland commence holidays from the third week of June and also some English schools are still off in the first week of September. We have cruised on the Adriatic Explorer/Pearls of the Aegean in June for a number of years with our little girl. Will this policy be reviewed for the 2014 season? Many thanks for your consideration and feedback on this question. Well done to all the team on the Thomson Majesty, we had a fabulous time.

A: Firstly, thank you for the praise. It really gives emphasis to what I was sailing to Sailaway487 in another thread, Thomson Majesty is performing really well and passengers love her.

To answer your question about adults-only sailings, though, it's important to us that we offer a variety of different cruise experiences for all our passengers. As part of this, we acknowledge that there are travellers who prefer not to holiday with children, for whatever reason. With that in mind, we try to offer adults-only sailings as close to peak season - which as you rightly point out is school holidays - as possible. And we try to vary both the ship and region we offer. For example, it was Thomson Celebration for summer 2012.

67. Request for New Winter Destinations

Eglesbrech

Q: I have done a number of Thomson cruises in the winter time as it is great to be able to fly direct from Scotland. You have been offering the same areas for some time now and there are only so many things to do from each port. Are there any plans to offer different winter destinations (with flights from Scotland)?

A: We try and vary the ports on offer even when we're not changing the regions we sail in. But we are looking at possibilities for a new winter homeport in 2014. Some of the areas we're considering include the Far East, Pacific Mexico and the Indian Ocean. And, of course, we'll endeavour to have flights available from Scotland.

68. AI Drinks Package

glittergal1

Q: Having booked the AI drinks package for a cruise with an understanding that AI I thought stood for All Inclusive how wrong can we be? it was soooo not all inclusive

Do you think you should change the name and just call it a drinks package because that is all it is AI is very misleading.

A: I really think we provide a pretty decent AI package overall - I’ve upgraded it myself on holiday a couple of times - and although I understand the point you’re making, we did make a few changes in our last brochure to highlight up front what was included. I’ve checked the content right now, as I’ve got one in front of me, and on page 9 it mentions the AI package and to find details of what’s included go to the A to Z index. If you then look at the A to Z it’s on the first page and explains it all clearly.

69. 7 Day Cruise & Stay 4 Day Cruise/3 Day Stay

Dreamgirl1957

Q: Have Thomson ever thought of doing a one week cruise and stay?

You could do a 4 day cruise with a 3 day stay then swap it around to finish the week for a second group of people or pop in a 10 or 11 day cruise to fit in with this.

Sure would be very popular and would give new cruisers a taste so they would then re-book I’m sure.

A: Good idea Dreamgirl1957, keep them coming. I'll pass this one on to our planning team.

70. Sharm El Sheikh Flights

ekco

Q: I'm not sure if anyone has already asked this question, apologies if they have. A lot of us on the forum would like to know when you are going to change the awful sardine can flight to Sharm el Sheik to a long haul type flight with more leg room? Both my husband and myself were so stiff after our return we could barely move for days. It doesn't help that people are allowed to recline their seats making the space even less, it has definitely put me off visiting there again which is a shame as we enjoyed our holiday.

A: We're always looking at ways to improve our holiday experience, so I'll pass your feedback on to airline team.

71. Do Thomson Read the Forum?

Dreamgirl1957

Q: Can i just ask if anyone from Thomson ever looks on here to see what we think in general and if they do does it influence any of your future decisions at all?

A: Sorry but I was replying to some of the older threads first. That’s a fair question but I can assure you that it’s a daily occurrence for me and my team to check the forums! Some good examples of feedback leading to changes are i) Margarita last year got a number of adverse comments so we’ve removed this from the winter 2013 programme and ii) the entertainment on the Majesty during the summer was modified from mostly singers - as we tried a new format - to a greater dance element and this has continued into the winter season in Tenerife where West End-style shows are back on the agenda that complement the Majesty’s layout. This forum is really important to us since customer feedback is the Holy Grail…

72. Thomson Celebration Cabins

gymfreak

Q: We sail in 2 days time, first time on a Thomson ship. Is it true that all cabins have now been refurbished? We are booked into an outside cabin on deck three.

A: 36 inside cabins and 29 outside cabins are complete already on deck 3 - with the bathrooms scheduled to be finished by Christmas.

So there's a small chance you may have a refurbished cabin.

Crikey Sailaway , well done, thats brilliant.

Took some time that did! :D

Thought it would be easier just to read one thread full of questions instead of having to keep coming in and out of the Q&A thread. Good for reference too.

BTW, like your idea of the 3/4 day cruise with a Cruise & Stay. Would be a good break away that.

Took some time that did! :D

Thought it would be easier just to read one thread full of questions instead of having to keep coming in and out of the Q&A thread. Good for reference too.

BTW, like your idea of the 3/4 day cruise with a Cruise & Stay. Would be a good break away that.

Ah thanks Sailaway, think it would be very popular. Girls few days away etc.. couples who just want a break and at the min do a city break etc...you could just do the 3 or 4 day cruise or add a few hotel days to make a week or more, very flexable and a whole new market to appeal to. ( very chuffed FE liked it too !)

Love your round up, its fantastic , will be good to look back on.

Have to say he was very cagey about IE, especially compared to how definite he was over Destiny.

Agree Grez. He put a definite answer to most of the questions answered, but the Island Escape answer didn't seem completely certain. The fact he said we can't discuss these sort of commercial agreements and that if anything did happen, customers would be notified. Made me think that perhaps their are plans in motion, but nothing is certain yet so can't be said. Perhaps it's just me reading too much into it though! :rolleyes:

In terms of the ships, I thought it was very interesting that he said that Thomson Dream and Thomson Celebration were part of their long term plans and will be in the fleet for many more years, but didn't really give any clues regarding if Spirit or Majesty's contracts would be renewed. He kept on mentioning that modernisation was the key, which makes me think that Spirit's probably won't be.

Also, I'm glad he answered the new build questions. If I had to guess, I would say something was in the pipeline. It seems quite obvious that he wants them, but no decision would be made until next year. I'm thinking that this time next year, I wouldn't be surprised if a large fleet shake-up is announced. Spirit confirmed to be going October 2014, a new build ship for possibly summer 2016. If I had to guess anyway...

Archived