Ellacott Q&A: Answers Discussion

Thanks for putting this on Sailaway. I'm a bit busy this week (it's nearly Christmas), and last night I was just reading through them in order, but they've become more jumbled up today so this is a great help.

I'm VERY impressed so far.

Sailing from Newcastle, the Artic wow, Far East, Indian Ocean, Yalta. Thomsons have definitely got me for a few more years.

He also seems to be a very nice chap.

OK that's it for now off to do more shopping.

Thanks Sailaway for all the effort you have put into this for all our benefit.:)

Nice to see that on the whole (IE question accepted and again can understand commercial reasons why they can not be more specific) a considered response has been given rather than 'commercial-speak' blabberings, a real effort has been made by Thomsons and they should be commended for it.:)

Thomson have a peculier way of handling single supplement anyway.

Everyone elase either charges a price for the single cabin or a %age supplement for single occupancy of a double.

with Thomson as the price of the cruise goes up the single supplement %age drops as it is a fixed price :confused::confused::confused:

As the price online price drops the single supplement %age increases so as they drop prices to get bookings the price for a solo actually increases %age wise, crazy.

I know that Thomson are sailing from the UK now but What about concidering places in the south/southwest areas. Eg Plymouth, Southampton and Falmouth. Hull and Newcastle are a long way to travel for some people.

Im looking forward to my up and comming holiday on Majesty. Its a shame Celebration is not doing Canaries as I so loved that ship.

If you start a Loyalty scheme will you count peoples previous Cruises ?

I know that Thomson are sailing from the UK now but What about concidering places in the south/southwest areas. Eg Plymouth, Southampton and Falmouth. Hull and Newcastle are a long way to travel for some people.

Im looking forward to my up and comming holiday on Majesty. Its a shame Celebration is not doing Canaries as I so loved that ship.

If you start a Loyalty scheme will you count peoples previous Cruises ?

And Harwich, Plymouth, Southampton and Falmouth are a long way for to travel for some people.....how about Edinburgh or Greenock. It's bad enough that we have very few flights available from Scotland as it is, without us having to travel even further to join a Uk cruise.

C15, as I have already booked for 2 weeks next July, it's a waiting game to see what ship we, If any we actually sail on? like Stevio over the past 2 years I have personally have had 2 cruises scrapped at the last minute. I don't actually trust Thomson anymore :mad:, but what can you do. I'm not old enough to sail with FO or Saga :D. The Island Escape fitted my Holidays plans perfectly, it's not just the ship it's the people and staff that are the main attractions but saying that the Island Escape does have a certain Aura about it and when it was converted into a cruise ship they must have broken the mould because there will be no other ship that will replace her.

RIP Island Escape :(

20120627_104029.jpg

it looks lovely rr thats y i wanted 2 book her sounds like a fun ship and no formal nite hope i get the chance 2 try her i did ask as he says its rumours about her being sold if i book l now for next sept will i defo b sailing on IE but he did'nt answer so i think that says it all

carolynne

73. Transfers to Port

infoqueen

Q: Would it be possible for us cruise only bookers to purchase transfers from resort to port on the coaches that are transferring passengers that are on stay and cruise and then also get transferred back to resort at the end of the cruise with the cruise and stay passengers.

A: Our transfers are directly linked to our flights so it's difficult to guarantee availability for non-package customers prior to departure. But you can always ask the Thomson Cruises Advisor when you get to the airport.

74. Entertainment

carolynne15

Q: I think it would be a good idea to have more entertainment and music on the open decks, even if it was only taped music. A lot of people would like to sit outside when the weather is nice. You can see how popular this is on the sailaway party on the first night.

A: Getting the balance right is always tricky as there are some customers that love the entertainment on deck and others that prefer a bit more peace and quiet. We're always looking for ways to improve your experience onboard so thank you for your feedback.

75. Celebration Balconies

lilys gran

Q: When on the Celebration in September officers came into our suite to take pictures of the window and immediate areas outside the window. Are you planning on adding balconies to the Celebration?

A: We’re reviewing all our ships for opportunities to add balconies at the moment. It's not something we'll be doing as part of the Platinum refurbishment but it's something we'd very much like to do in the future.

76. Online Webcams

Sailaway487

Q: This is only a small thing, but I wonder if there is any chance of adding the webcams that are on board onto the Thomson website with a map that shows where all the ships are and what itinerary they are currently operating. This is something that the majority of other cruise lines seem to do. Also, perhaps you could add the weather in port, and where the ship is sailing to next etc. Something similar that TUI Cruises do on their website:

http://tuicruises.com/mein-schiff-1/position/

Just think it would be good for those interested to see the bridge cam and where the ships are currently docked.

A: This is something we'd love to be able to do but we don't have the technology to support at the moment. It's definitely something we'll look into doing in the future.

77. Ships Clean Fuel

kalos

Q: Hi I was reading a post made regarding ships clean fuel. I have posted them below for you to read (2 posts)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kruzseeka

There's an article on our local news just now regarding Brittany Ferries and some new legislation which will come in by 2015(?) which will mean fuel for ships will have to reduce the Sulphur content by 90%. Both Brittany Ferries and Wight-Link are saying that the price for 'going green' (changing from heavy fuel to something more like diesel) is likely to cost them 60% more in fuel costs! Already job cuts and fare rises are being talked about.

As I was writing this the reporter also said this is likely to affect the cruise industry too (I was there already!!!! ). Apparently new ships have the necessary technology to comply - but as we know Thomson ships aren't likely to fall into that category. Will make selling old ships more difficult too! Could have far reaching implications for future pricing!

So folks, better get another one booked before prices go up!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by davecttr

This applies to the Baltic, north Sea, english channel and the coasts of the USA. Nothing for the med as yet.

apparently ships can use the low sulphur fuel within territorial waters and shift to the goo afterward.

this has been proposed for years so the cruise companies must have taken it into account in their planning.

Would you like to tell us, if any, what or how this legislation could have an effect on the future of Thomson’s fleet of ships.

A: To be honest, I think Brittany Ferries' estimate of the cost increase is quite conservative. This legislation will effect all ships sailing in the Baltic and the North Sea, regardless of their age - and there aren't any territorial limits either, it covers all sea areas in those regions no matter how far from land. The good news is that this affects cruise less than other areas of the shipping industry. We can easily move ships around but long-distance ferries and shipping costs are, potentially, going to take a much bigger hit. The industry is also concerned about supplies of ultra low sulphur fuel. All ships - even those brand new ones still on order - will have to burn ultra low sulphur fuel, or gas oil, to solve the problem. It's not something that can be achieved with technology.

Thomson Cruises, meanwhile, are an incredibly fuel efficient cruise line. So we'll probably be affected less than most. We obviously already comply with all fuel regulations - and will continue to do so - burning low sulphur fuel in Northern Europe and ultra low sulphur fuel in European ports.

78. Child Prices

Choirman PJ

Q: Your company defines a child as aged from 3 to 12 years of age for the "Kids Club" and that child prices apply up to the age of 16.

However, children of two years of age pay the child cruise price not 3 years.

Children of 2 years of age also have to pay the child's all-inclusive drinks package. Why do you have two definitions of child prices?

We have two, just 2 year olds, on the Dream in January and have had to pay the children's price for the cruise and the drinks package even though, at that age, will not be able to take advantage of these children drinks prices.

2 x £199 for these 2 year olds is unreasonable.

A: Thomson Kids' Club onboard is exactly the same as the Thomson Kids' Club in our resort hotels and, as such, the age limitations are the same. The reason the club is open to children aged 3 to 12 years old is largely down to customer need. The vast majority of parents tell us they wouldn't be comfortable sending under 3s to a kids' club and prefer to use a creche or babysitting service that is more one-on-one. We do offer a creche in our Thomson Family Resorts but we just don't get enough families travelling on our ships to justify having a creche onboard. In terms of the children's prices for All Inclusive, we charge half the adult price - which would work out at £99 per week per child.

79. Dream Refurb

Ginjoli

Q: My husband and I experienced our first Thomson cruise in June 2012 on the Dream and absolutely loved it. So much so we have booked again for June 2013, this time bringing 3 friends with us.

We were most impressed with our Outside Plus cabin on Deck 9, only thing missing was tea and coffee making facility, which I understand will be implemented during refurb.

We especially liked the seating area with sofa, chair and occasional tables, and would like an assurance that Thomson will not remove this facility when refurbishing cabins, as we'd hate to have to sit on bed to enjoy a drink etc.

A: Thank you for the praise, I'm really happy you enjoyed your holiday enough to share the experience. We're not going to be changing the overall spec of the cabins, so you can expect our 'Plus' category cabins to still have a seating area. We'll be giving extra benefits rather than taking any away.

80. Greek Islands

Paulaud

Q: We would love Thomson to offer a cruise of the Greek islands. Instead of Athens and say Kusadasi, why not include say Santorini, Rhodes and Skiathos and make it a true Greek Islands cruise. This would be fabulous.

A: We try to feature a mix of big city ports and smaller villages or islands on our itineraries to make sure there's enough variety to suit every passenger's tastes.

81. Problems in the Middle East

Sailaway487 & CRUISIN LINDA

Q: How do you think that the issues currently in the Middle East will affect Thomson Cruises? A lot of cruise lines are changing their itineraries so that they don't call at certain ports at the moment, but Thomson doesn’t seem to be doing. Will itineraries have to change?

Also, I noticed that for next year, Egypt & the Holy Land itinerary isn't going to just be operating in May/June and September/October, but now for the whole summer season. Do you think that this change might have been a bad one with the current problems in some of these areas? Also, will the Red Sea and the Middle East still be an area that Thomson Cruises will operate to in the near future, or could these destinations be taken off if current problems continue?

I'm quite interested in this too as we have booked the Suez Canal transit for next April and although that seems a long way off, these things have a way of escalating and dragging on. We are trying to decide whether to change to another cruise or hang on and see how the situation develops. Obviously the political situation is out of your hands, but is it possible that the whole cruise could be cancelled or would the destinations such as Ashdod and Beirut be changed and it would basically be a Greek islands cruise.

A: As you can imagine, this is a subject very much at the front of our minds at the moment. This isn't the first time we've seen unrest in the Middle East. In fact, between the Gaza Strip struggles, the Arab Spring and other political issues, it feels like the Middle East has rarely been out of the news over the past few years. At the moment, FCO advice maintains that the resort areas of the Red Sea are safe and, as yet, we haven't been affected. Thomson Celebration is sailing as normal in the Red Sea, and our trips and tours are also unaffected. Our local agents are monitoring the situation carefully and we'll respond to any changes very quickly. As you know, your health and safety - as well as that of our crew - is our number one priority. We won't take unnecessary risks.

82. Thomson Cruises App

Sailaway487

Q: I know that Thomson has introduced an Excursions app recently, but are there any plans to add a Thomson Cruises app? One that has information about ships, itineraries, the most recent brochure and the ability to book etc.?

A: We've been looking into this since before the tour ops side of the business introduced their app. It's very much a work in progress at the moment. We're working behind the scenes on the system developments we need to offer the app and what it could potentially look and feel like.

83. Thomson Celebration Bathrooms

Sailaway487

Q: Will the cabins on Thomson Celebration be upgraded when it has its Platinum refurbishment? The bathrooms are in quite a bad state and do need some money spending on them, particularly the mosaic tiles that aren't in the best condition? Will all the tiles be taken off and replaced?

Also, has it ever been considered to put shower screens in the bathrooms instead of shower curtains? The curtain never stops water from getting out and can often stick to you. A shower door would be much better.

A: All the cabins on Thomson Celebration are having their bath or shower rooms rebuilt and, I have to say, the first few look fantastic.

84. Thomson & the US Market

CruisekidMD

Q: I'm a US citizen and am intrigued by the itineraries offered by Thomson Cruises. Does Thomson plan to market its cruises to the US either directly or via a big on-line travel agency? One such agency based here in the US already sells Fred Olsen and P&O cruises however I am unable to find a US based travel agent that can sell me a Thomson cruise.

Are there plans to make your product more accessible to US citizens?

A: Nice to hear from you, and that you're interested in Thomson Cruises. Unfortunately, we're not looking to market our cruises in the US at the moment.

85. Excursions - Thinking Outside the Box

Huddersfieldtourist

Q: Should shore excursions only do what passengers really want them to do. Does Thomson Cruises consider why people choose to go independently instead of using the organised tour ? I know you listen to feedback but many just do not give enough detail and some just do not bother.

Is it the cost or is it the content? I agree it could be a mix of both.

When on a Red Sea Magic excursion to Cairo - do all the men (and ladies for that matter) on that excursion really want to go to the Papyrus Institute shop and often throws in a neighbouring Perfume shop which from memory every excursion to Cairo seems to include ?

Why is there not an excursion alternative that has longer at the Museum and Pyramids and no time shopping?

Why not offer the Solar Boat at Giza instead of the shopping?

Why not offer a Cairo trip without the shopping but clearly stating in the excursion guide on the ship that more time is spent at the sites and see which sells the best - the ones with or without shopping? After all most people book the cruise for the Pyramids etc and not the shops I have to presume!!

Some excursions almost appear to some passengers to be now being run for the benefit of the guide's commission at the shops and hard sell on the coach. If so, this is very altruistic of Thomson but in the end it may be both a disservice to your passengers and may possibly be to the detriment of on board revenue in future.

Travco may organise the tours but the passengers are your customers.

Some repeat passengers may be thinking "I would go to the pyramids again but don't want to go to the Papyrus and Perfume shops again" so they stay onboard at Sokhna. Lost revenue for Destination Services.

I accept that you will say that the excursions on Red Sea Magic are very popular but this may be because it is not straightforward to "do your own thing".

How many passengers are doing their own thing in the Med or Caribbean etc because of the content of some of the excursions? Just food for thought!!

A: Our Shore Excursions team regularly review the content of our tours - and the team onboard feedback to us whenever things aren't 'working' as well as expected.

As you probably know, Thomson are all about designing holiday experiences that suit our customers needs. And, as part of this, we're actually looking into other approaches we can take with Shore Excursions - including things like more individual tours for smaller groups. But, like with anything we research, it's a work in progress and may not come into fruition. It depends on all kinds of different factors - including customer research.

86. Single Cabins on Celebration

glittergal1

Q: I have been looking to book a cruise on the Celebration as a solo cruiser but have changed my mind due to the poor position of the cabins, why are all the single cabins in the worst place for noise disturbance and how do I get another cabin option without paying a ridiculous price?

A: When our ships were built, single travellers were something of a rarity so they didn't have single cabins. As we get more single passengers, we've set aside several of the smaller cabins - and, in many cases, rebuilt them to suit. In most case, the smaller cabins tend to be located in the ends of the ship, where the sides curving creates smaller spaces.

Having said that, you should still be able to find some well-located single cabins - such as the outside single cabins on Thomson Majesty. They're particularly spacious and found higher up the ship.

87. Island Cruises Winter Sailings

Sailaway487

Q: Last year, Island Escape was down to do Eastern Mediterranean itineraries for winter 2011/12, but these were pulled because of lack of demand. Can you see Island Cruises operating anywhere in the winter season in the future, or will it remain a solely summer operation?

A: In the immediate future, Island Escape will continue to sail an extended summer season in the Mediterranean.

88. Kettles

CRUISIN LINDA

Q: Will all the cabins on the Dream and Celebration have tea-making facilities by April? Why does it say in the brochure that you cannot take your own kettle, but at the boat-drill safety announcements you are only told that irons are not allowed and no mention of kettles?

A: This is a question we get asked a lot so it's nice to be able to give a public answer.

Thomson Dream and Thomson Celebration are getting tea and coffee-making facilities in all their cabins as part of their Platinum makeovers. Which means Thomson Dream will have them from December and Thomson Celebration in May.

In terms of your question about bringing your own kettle, this is easily clarified. A number of the cabins on our ships - the suites and deluxe cabins - already have kettles in them, so we don't include them in our safety announcement to avoid confusion. The reason we ask customers not to bring their own kettles is because they consume too much electrical power and could fuse the cabin electrical circuits. The same applies to irons, plus there's also the risk of fire so, under international regulations, they're not allowed to be used in cabins. In short...

• No irons are allowed in the cabins at all

• Only ship's kettles can be used in the cabins, not those bought from home.

We'll work on the wording in the brochure and the announcement to try and make this clearer.

89. Sunbeds

Julessmiles & Jakanne1

Q: We have to travel during peak periods, being tied to school holiday times. Although you appear to have a "sunbed policy" ie your belongings will be removed if the sunbed is empty for more than 45 minutes, I have not really seen this happening - I have seen little notes being placed on sunbeds threatening this but I have seen lots of sunbeds empty with possessions left on them to "hold" them.

What really did frustrate us this year - more than in earlier years - was the distinct lack of sunbeds available on the Celebration - I am up early in the morning & had no problem at all getting a sunbed on sea days or days we wanted to stay onboard however if we had been out for the morning or day, on our return, it really was very difficult to find even one sunbed at times!

One day, I resorted to heading for the sports deck & lay down on the bench there, other times myself - & many others had to lie on our towels on the floor wherever we could!

Is there anything at all you can do about possibly putting in more sunbeds - even closing the sports deck to sports during peak times (which I never saw used in the peak & heat of the day) and placing sunbeds there? Alternatively could you allocate 2 sunbeds per cabin - maybe providing some form of sticker or tag or such like for people to "attach" to their sunbed so there might be a chance of most people getting a sunbed??!!

We are a family of 4 but as our teens use the pool, we would be happy with just 2 sunbeds or we just sit 2 a bed!!

My first cruise was on Majesty in September, outside school holidays. In fact there were very few children/teens on board so therefore the ship was nowhere near full capacity.

Each day we left the ship on a tour and on our return every day it was impossible to find a sun bed to relax. Everyone was taken or "saved" with a towel. One day I found one on the shaded side on the promenade deck and so bundled it myself through two sets of doors to the sunny side. You can imagine how angry/frustrated I was.

My question is...when are you please going to do something about stopping greedy people saving sunbeds with towels first thing on a morning and then not using them, resulting in others frustratingly wandering about searching for one.

There are systems that can be put in place but these only work if they are followed up or "policed". I don't believe it should be up to those on holiday or the waiters to check out or time how long a sun bed has been left saved with a towel. Perhaps there should be a person whose responsibility it is to remove possessions when the sun bed has been unused for a certain amount of time. Like a car park attendant? A warning card could be placed on the sun bed and if it is still there say half an hour later then the towel, etc could be removed to a secure room for the owner to collect.

More sunbeds on some ships could be the answer, but they were pretty close together on the Majesty already!

We enjoyed our first cruise despite a few niggles and have booked again for the Canarian Flavours in March. I hope I too don't have to become a greedy sun bed saver this time!

A: I did notice, especially over the summer, that sunbeds had become a bit of a hot topic.

We've always relied on the goodwill of our passengers to not leave their sunbeds unattended for more than our recommended 45 minutes. But we acknowledge that this isn't working anymore.

We're working on improving this at the moment so, while I can't tell you exactly what the solution will be, I can reassure you that we are going to do something about it.

90. Transatlantic 2013

Huddersfieldtourist

Q: I was wondering why the November 2013 transatlantic cruise is starting in Lisbon as opposed to anywhere else? Is the Dream to be in dry dock again?

I ask this as Thomson UK may not have a big infrastructure in place there and most if not all flights will return from Lisbon to the UK empty. Had you started in Madeira or somewhere else (warm) you could have sold some flight seats also and be able to use existing coaches etc. on that Island.

Whilst writing -some of those new Caribbean itineraries are excellent - the only downside for some people is that they may be too long for them to be able to get that much time off work in one go. The new ports sound super!

A: This is a simple case of timings for our flight planning team. Our departure point needs to be within 2 hours of the UK so that we don't impact on the tour ops/ski programme too much. Lisbon is perfect for this. Not only does it suit the airline needs but it also allows us to have a full west to east itinerary.

91. Liverpool as a Base

philhar

Q: I've read your comments about keep your eyes peeled for 2014 but I just wondered if you could say whether Liverpool is under consideration? Thomson used Liverpool briefly before but facilities weren't up to scratch and berthing was difficult. However the new facility is excellent and both Cruise & Maritime and Fred Olsen seem well pleased with the new arrangement and bookings are strong. I would love to do a Round Britain or Spain & Portugal from Liverpool.

A: Without getting your hopes up too much, I can confirm that Liverpool is just one of many options we're looking into.

92. Hull

Dreamgirl1957

Q: Are there any plans to use Hull as a start point in the future? It is so central i think it would be very popular.

I see you say you have no plans for winter ex UK cruises eg: Xmas markets etc. This is such a shame as i think they would sell very well. There are so many people who cannot afford more than one cruise a year but would love to add a short break like a Christmas Market 2 or 3 night cruise and if from Hull would attract many customers. If not Hull is Amsterdam viable as a starting point as people could fly in or ferry from Hull cheaply?

Also, thank you for saying my idea about the 4 day cruise/3 day stay and visa versa is a good idea too. I really think this is a great idea for Thomson. When i worked as a TA a fair amount of our enquiries were for short breaks.

If someone had the option to do a 3 or 4 night cruise from a local airport i think it would fly off the shelves so to speak.

City breaks are lovely on their own but what a brilliant selling point when a customer could see 2 or 3 cities for around the same cost and of course many would add the 3 or 4 night hotel stay too.

Perhaps they could also be marketed as a taster cruise with an option to book a full cruise with a small discount while on board?

A: The answer to this one is quite simple really, Hull can't support a cruise ship turnaround for a ship of our size at the moment - so they're not a port we can consider.

In terms Christmas markets, it just wouldn't make good sense - commercially speaking - for us to move one of our ships back to the UK for the Christmas market season, or to extend our UK season. We do have some shorter cruises in the summer from Harwich and Newcastle which are good taster options.

93. Cabin Windows on Majesty

Jakanne1

Q: Will you be replacing the cabin windows on Majesty which have broken seals? We were in 431 outside plus and it was difficult to see out due to the inside bit of the double glazing being "steamed up" and full of a white crystallised powder.

A: Thomson Majesty has replaced around 50 windows over the summer and has roughly another 50 portholes on order.

94. Food

Dark Defender

Q: I read in one of your posts that entertainment feedback rates highly in feedback terms. I was wondering if feedback on food is high on the agenda too?

I travelled on the Dream for a week in August 2011 and for a fortnight in June 2012. We found the food quality had dropped a fair bit - in terms of quantity served, and quality. For example, various soups tasted identical.

Is this something Thomson are scrutinising?

A: Good question. We actually monitor about 80 different scores each week, as well as reading our customer comments and watching social media channels for feedback. And we're not just paying lip service when we say that our customers' opinions are important to us. We genuinely take onboard your comments and thoughts.

Of all the different feedback though, the ones that are scrutinised most closely are - your overall cruise experience, service, food, entertainment and whether you'd recommend us. For us, those are the measures that tell us if you're really enjoying our product. But that's not say we're not paying attention to things like ports of call, shore excursions, photo galleries, All Inclusive offering - all these things are looked at every week.

95. Thomson Destiny & Vessel Strategy

fletchdirect

Q: Personally, I was gutted to see Thomson Destiny exit the fleet. I believe that this was a unique ship - layout, atmosphere and size were perfect.

From all that you have said, it seems that better facilities and modernisation is your key strategy for the future. I understand how that can be important, particularly to stay competitive for the future - and of course, a change is as good as a rest and all that....

However, I am sure that there are as many cruisers out there, like myself, who appreciate a smaller more traditional ship. Moreover, I think that if Thomson Destiny was still in your fleet you would not have any trouble filling it. Yes, it did have small cabins and was in need of a general refurb in many areas - but nothing probably given the extent that you have invested in the Island Escape. There has to be something in the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" - how broke was the Destiny in your view?

The Destiny (now Louis Olympia) is currently laid up in Greece doing nothing for the whole winter I believe - I can quite easily imagine it flanking the Dream in the Caribbean. What would stop that scenario from happening? It just seems like a lost opportunity for you and cruisers like myself, who are loyal to the ship as well as the brand.

If we don't cruise with Thomson, and don't want an older fashioned truly traditional ship experience (Marco Polo, Saga, Olsen etc), then today you have little choice than to sail on a glorified block of apartments that takes a 20 minute walk from restaurant to showlounge (Royal Caribbean, P&O etc). Sometimes, you just don't want that. I appreciate that there are also commercial challenges in keeping older ships going, but this is also about differentiation as well as being in line with the rest of the market.

I expect that you will encourage me to try out the Majesty or the Dream - which at some point I would look to do, also the Spirit or Celebration if a smaller ship is required. However, please do realise that for every positive review I hear about, there are also very specific annecdotes to back up that the fact that these ships are still a risk, vs what one would come to expect if you have been loyal to the Destiny.

I am truly intrigued as to why the Destiny is not part of your fleet, and your point of view on this and some of the other points I've raised. Look forward to your response.

A: This is really difficult to answer because you are clearly very passionate about everything the Destiny has to offer. So I’m not sure anything I say will change your mind. But I’ll try and add a few comments.

Both Thomson & Island Cruises have a very loyal and supportive group of followers, and we never take that for granted - honestly. My aim is to try and ensure that we can be a fantastic cruise line that remains relevant to both existing customers and new customers for the long term.

Modernising our fleet is crucial to our long term relevance and survival in this business. The decision to replace the Destiny with Majesty was not about how poor the Destiny was performing overall last year but more one about how much life she had left in her and where is it relevant to invest for the future. We had noticed her Customer Satisfaction scores starting to fall behind our other ships and we felt this was due to both the size of the cabins and the condition of the hardware – not the crew, service, entertainment, food or general soft product at all – I can assure you.

We believe it was a better customer decision to introduce the Majesty for all those reasons I've mentioned in previous posts and we firmly believe from the customer feedback over the last few months that this was and is the right decision.

Trying to balance the needs of existing customers and potential new customers to our business is the long term lifeblood and sometimes it can prove difficult to satisfy all.

I would love you to try any of our other ships as I’m sure you would grow to love them as well – the same great crew, food, entertainment, friendliness, service exists on all of them and, in most customers’ views, better hardware.

I really hope you remain a customer of ours for years to come and give us a try again on another ship.

96. Gym Classes/Draught Lager

Jim The Scot

Q: On OV2 they had group gym classes. Will you be introducing similar on the Dream? Any plans to change the draught lager from the present Heineken?

A: To answer Mrs Jim, we currently offer yoga, pilates and several different zumba and stretching classes. That said, our gyms are quite small so due to space and equipment restrictions we wouldn't be able to offer as extensive a programme as Ocean Village.

As for the lager. We actually only offer Heineken on Thomson Dream and Thomson Celebration, and we'll review the brand we offer with the contract with Heineken runs out.

97. All Inclusive - Caribbean

whistlerbc

Q: Can you tell me why AI is often included free or for a minimal price on all cruises except the Caribbean itineraries? I'm going to the Caribbean in March for 2 weeks cruise on Dream, booked early but once again no deals on AI only an option of a £995 fee! Doesn't seem fair.

A: We try to vary our booking incentives to create some differentiation between cruises. For the Caribbean and UK sailings we tend to opt for free onboard spending money rather than All Inclusive as we find it's more popular with customers booking those itineraries.

98. Majesty

boatboy2000

Q: We were given no choice but to sail on the Majesty after initially booking for the Destiny 18th May this year, we were told that it would be a good boat and that concerns were unfounded, after experiencing the cruise we were totally dissatisfied and have written two letters of complaint both of which we felt were fobbed off, we will never go on this vessel ever again, it would have been a nice gesture for something complimentary on a following cruise but so far we have been offered nothing!

A: Firstly my genuine thanks to you for sticking with us even though you didn't enjoy your experience earlier this year.

I explained in my answer to Sailaway487, in a previous thread titled ‘Majesty a Mistake’, about why we changed from the Destiny to the Majesty. Based on the vast majority of customer feedback and customer satisfaction scores, I remain confident that we made the right decision for our customers overall. I know this may not satisfy all, but I hope you respect my open and honest response.

We genuinely think that she's a better ship overall, and will serve us well for the future. The crew are in my opinion fantastic and have worked hard all summer to please customers and ensure on the whole they have a great cruise holiday. Furthermore we are encouraged to see a significant number of customers who the love ship, have already been back twice in her first year of operation.

Hopefully we can meet or exceed your expectations in the future. I want to build a strong and successful future for our business building on the successes to date and continue to modernise our product whilst ensuring we continue to provide those key attributes that our loyal customers know and have come to love.

Boatboy2000, I hope you and your friends have a great holiday on Dream and I look forward to reading your feedback here online.

99. Rovinj Instead of Koper

FIFE1

Q: On the Emerald several years ago it visited Rovinj instead of Koper, it was absolutely great. I appreciate that more trips can be carried out from Koper, but having now used this for a number of years & given it is a Sunday when the ship visits (many placed closed), can Rovinj be re considered for a port of call.

A: Funny you should mention this. Rovinj was on the agenda for summer 2014 but our current preferred ship for the Adriatic can't berth there due to her size.

100. Edinburgh or Greenock

3globetrotter3

Q: Have you ever considered Edinburgh for cruises to Scandinavia, The Baltic and the UK. Or Greenock for UK, Ireland, Iceland and Scandinavia?

A: We review the ports we use for turnaround regularly. Many UK ports can't cope with a turnaround for a cruise ship of our size so that can restrict our choices. We also try to choose somewhere quite central to make the ports accessible to a wide range of customers. I certainly wouldn't rule Scottish ports out of our future but, certainly for the moment, we're more likely to remain in Newcastle.

101. Celebration - Suite

Wddeni

Q: Can you please confirm what the Platinum benefits will be if booking a Suite, as opposed to a standard Cabin

Kettles will be standard as Flat screen TV in all cabins, So apart from the extra space what if anything will change in Suites or Deluxe Cabins.

A: You'll get all the perks you currently have when you book a suite - such as premier service, all the same extras as the standard cabins and our suites will also have iPod docking stations.

102. Kettle in Deluxe Cabins

Altonia

Q: In your reply you mentioned that each cabin in Celebration will have a kettle when the refurb is complete. However, you also mentioned that deluxe cabins already have a kettle I haven't seen mention of this before. I am going on my first cruise in January on the Celebration and have booked a deluxe cabin will it have a kettle and if it will is tea and coffee provided. Don't mind if I need to bring my own.

A: Sorry for the confusion around this. In May, after Celebration has had her Platinum makeover, all cabins will have a kettle. At the moment a few already do have them, but we can’t guarantee that. I’m afraid only the ship’s kettles can be used in the cabin as there is a risk of fire and they can fuse the cabin electrical circuits.

103. Possibility of Asia Cruises

Shipshape99

Q: Is there any possibility that Thomson Cruises might establish some S.E. Asia itineraries as an alternative to the Caribbean and Canaries for the winter? They'd also create some great new re-positioning options.

A: We’re always looking for new exciting destinations and looking to the future, we’re seeking a new homeport for winter 2014. We’re not sure yet, but some of the possibilities we’re exploring are the Indian Ocean, Far East and Pacific Mexico. As we’ll be the first airline to have the Dreamliner next year, this will enable us to fly to destinations further afield and you’re right, this would give us some great re-positioning itineraries.

104. Captain’s Table

Shipshape99

Q: Two years ago, during a Transatlantic on the Destiny, we received a very last minute invitation to the Captain's table for the formal dinner.

We were asked by several people how we had "managed it" but we ourselves had no idea - could you enlighten us?

A: Customers can be invited for a whole number of reasons, so it is hard to comment on this occasion. However, some of the possible reasons the Social Host may invite guests is because they have bought a celebration package such as a blessing at sea, or the ship has been made aware of a special occasion. Unlike some other cruise lines, it is nothing to do with what deck you’re on or how much you paid for your cruise - It’s purely a gesture of good will. Obviously space is very limited, but we try to open it up to as many people as possible.

105. Will You Look Back on These Posts to See the Future Comments?

Dreamgirl1957

Q: Really enjoying reading all of your replies.

Just a thought, will you look back on these posts in a day or two and look at the comments made after yours?

If so will you comment further if you feel it appropriate?

A: Providing CruiseCritic are happy for us to comment from time to time, you could well see us on the message boards occasionally. It's more likely to be one of my team than me - day-to-day at least - but we'll definitely be tuning in to read all your posts, as always. You might have noticed we've been watching the main Thomson Cruise board even while we've been busy with the Q&A.

106. Thomson Dream Refit

Choirman PJ

Q: I have been advised that the November re-fit of Dream will not include the addition of launderettes. This is a bad move as this ship spends the winter in the Caribbean. Therefore most passengers go for two weeks but the hold luggage has been reduced from 23 to 20 kgs.

Yes we can get the washing done for us.....but at a price!

Yes I know that we can take up to 7kgs of hand luggage, but why should we lug this around when it could go in the hold?

A: UNANSWERED

107. Adding Flexibility to Single Cabin Occupancy

davecttr

Q: What are your thoughts on the possibilty of adding more flexibility to the occupancy of single cabins? This is mainly about the Celebration and Spirit where the single cabins are grouped together rather then distributed throughout the ship as applies on Dream and Majesty.

As an example a party of 3 adults including an elderly friend or a teenage daughter might wish to have their 2 cabins co-located or nearby. This is not always possible especially if they want a cabin higher than the basic grades. I believe this situation leads to potential customers rejecting a Thomson cruise because of nervousness in the solo occupant who may have a cabin several decks away from their family/friends.

Apparently double cabins are available for single occupancy but I have not heard about anyone being able to book one at less than 100% single fare supplement. Destiny was good in this respect as it had no single cabins giving some choice of where in the ship you could reserve a cabin and you only paid the normal single supplement..

Do you think it would be possible to have a small number of double cabins available for single occupancy at a supplement of less than 100%. Even a 70% supplement would be welcome.

108. Single Supplements for Single Cabins?

Cruisin Tracy

Q: Please can you explain to me why as a single passenger travelling in an allocated single cabin I am still charged a single supplement? I feel this is very unfair, you do not charge a couple travelling in a twin cabin a supplement just for using the cabin so why penalise us single travellers? It is not fair.

109. Majesty’s Drinks Package

yorkshire lass 59

Q: I have sailed on many ships but never with Thomson. However have just booked for a Majesty cruise and was dismayed that the only drinks package costs £199 for 7 nights. This is almost twice what Costa charge for an extremely generous package, including branded spirits, Baileys etc.

It would be advantageous to offer a wine package or other specific package aimed at people with different tastes.

I would be worried that people paying £199 would feel obliged to get their money's worth and this could result in unpleasant behaviour on board!

Having made these comments, I am still looking forward to sailing on the Majesty, particularly as I read there will be West End style shows in the refurbished Jubilee Lounge - I hope this is true!

110. Platinum Ships

Sailaway487

Q: Can you see the whole Thomson cruise operation eventually becoming Platinum? Do Thomson Dream and Celebration currently have the Platinum tag mainly to differentiate them from Spirit and Majesty, so that customers know if they're getting a refurbed ship to one that hasn't? Will all the fleet eventually (either new or existing ships) be worthy as being Platinum?

111. Jubilee Lounge - Majesty

Jakanne1

Q: I am returning to the Majesty in March (Canarian Flavours) after my first ever cruise on Majesty in September which speaks volumes in itself.

One of my big niggles was that as my husband and I prefer to eat late (8.00pm) we found that on 2 occasions out of 6 that we were unable to enter the Jubilee Lounge for the 2nd performance. Someone was at the door preventing entry as there were no more seats left. This was not during school holidays and so the ship was not near maximum capacity.

It appears that a big problem was due to the configuration of chairs with tables and the recent alterations may have sorted this out. Hope so!

But another reason was that a number of people were watching both performances as they could comfortably sit there all evening with drinks served and tables to hold their glasses. In fact people were saying how much they had enjoyed the first performance and were looking forward to watching it again.

Would it be possible to ensure that people have a fair chance of seeing one performance a night to empty the Jubilee Lounge for say 20 minutes then if people who had seen the first performance wanted to watch again they would have to take their turn with the others.

It would also prevent friends saving/rotating the best seats, another ploy I have just read about on the Cruise.co.ltd site which upset people.

After all, in land based theatres the seats are emptied between performances.

112. Canakkale

Isis2

Q: I would like to take this opportunity of thanking your staff on the Celebration on behalf of myself and the Gallipoli Association, for the respect that is shown when passing through the Dardenelles and the minute silence that is held.

On that note, bearing in mind that in 2015 it will 100 years since the landing at Gallipoli on 25th April, do Thomson Cruises plan to run a cruise round to Canakkale. I did bring this up this year with Bram the C.D. on the Celebration.

I've copied all the answers over so will try and upload them all on a new thread in a bit so that everyone doesn't have to keep going in and out of different threads in the Q&A.

Great work with the Q&A list here Sailaway487 very helpful, many thanks for doing all this work for us:cool: much appreciated

Thanks very much, Sailaway, for a tremendous effort.

It pretty much went as I expected.

Some full answers, some he couldn't give, lots of positive answers and some disappointing ones.

I was impressed with how Mr Ellacott conducted the whole thing.

There is a lot to look forward to, I think.

I posted this on the Q&A board, but I'm not sure whether that is still 'live' in terms of people accessing it much now - so just to make sure sailaway and everyone who has contributed to the success of this Q&A session, i'll post it again - just want to make sure my thanks are included!

Yes - I would like to add my gratitude to Mr Ellacott too. I appreciate all the time you have given to answer questions individually and in detail (within the constraints of business and confidentiality issues). Your forthright and approachable manner has been most refreshing. Another feather in Thomson's cap! :)

Thanks too to sailaway whose idea this was originally and for all the background work you put into making it happen. :)

Also, to all the posters on here - I have found the thought-provoking and wide-ranging questions you have posed and all the answers and ideas which have flowed from them absolutely fascinating. Thanks to everyone for your contributions. I have really enjoyed reading the questions and answers. :)

It has been a very informative, interesting and absorbing week! (Not to say exciting with the teasers of those new itineraries and ports of call! :D )

Pat on the back all round I reckon! ;)

P.S. Sorry you didn't get more joy with the single cabins though, dave.

Extremely well put Kruzseeka.

And I would like to add my thanks to Sailaway. He has put in hours of voluntary effort for the benefit of us all. :)

As a result of Sailaway's initial idea and from Fraser's replies we have learned lots, been reassured on some points and been disappointed on others but on the whole it has been entertaining and positive. It even lead to a lively evening on another site, FB, when quite a few of us played detective matching up our FB and CC names!! The decorating and ironing are days behind schedule but who cares! :eek:

Archived