Ellacott Q&A: Answers Discussion

Cheers everyone! :)

I have to say, that when I first posted about doing a Q&A never did I ever think we would get one. And then, when we did, I was worried that perhaps about only ten questions would be asked! Got that estimate slightly wrong! :D

I think that it was definitely a success. I know some questions weren't answered, especially the single cabin ones and the slightly uncertain answers with Island Escape, but I actually thought that a lot more would be ignored, as this seemed to be the case with the other Q&A's on here from other cruise lines.

Here's to the next one! ;)

So, to sum up:

The 1st lot:

1 Powered wheelchairs to be accepted onboard

2 They want a new build ship but can't afford one right now

3 Destiny is History (Sob....Luved Destiny)

4 They are trying to sell a small number of British style cruising to the international market through TUI connections but the British product won’t be tinkered with

5 They are looking at ways to add more balconies to the existing fleet but don’t want to lose to many of their core (good value & high selling) basic cabins

6 No Laundries on the Dream (Booo!)

But

They are adding island food counters in the Lido (Yeay) much needed IMO

7 They are trialling loyalty perks but are stuck for ideas? (let me put the question back to you. If Thomson Cruises had a loyalty scheme, what benefits would you really like to see as part of it?) I feel a poll coming on here

8 They tried to tinker with the entertainment but have decided the backlash would be too great so they've reinstated it (best they can in the case of the Majesty)

9 Dreamliner flights to Caribbean from Gatwick & Manchester from winter 2013 (Fantastic!!) and a (secret) new home port ....could be Pacific Mexico, Far East and Indian Ocean....the world is our oyster

10 Majesty & Spirit may or may not be history after 2014 Dream and Celebration will be with us long term

11 In the future....sometime? the online booking system will be upgraded to include more (but unspecified) options during the booking process

12 No Bodrum as a home port for various operational reasons

13 Platinum refurb work during this winters sailings not expected to impact passengers adversely at all (Including the CEO who is sailing on Celebration shortly) Actually this reflects what I was told personally last week by cruise passengers that I spoke to in Sharm last week.....no-one (that I spoke to) noticed any work going on at all In fact most thought the work had been finished as it all looked so good (Thumbup)

14 Excess baggage option is preselected (apparently) because Thoms are so thoughtful of our well being that they wouldn’t want us to be charged for excess baggage on arrival at the airport!? so I'd better ditch that Lilo & sunbed I was going to try and get thru in my hand luggage

15 The games hosts hadn’t noticed that most of the winners had been on-board the previous week????

16 Doesn’t look like North Cape from Harwich is being considered although new destinations are, and maybe new UK turnaround ports but Newcastle will stay........I propose Southampton or Poole (is Poole big enough?) or Falmouth (But only because Cornwall could really do with the money it would generate)

17 Ditto the above re Newcastle

18 Dream is currently in Hamburg....temp in Hamburg a positively balmy 2 degrees (not bad for Hamburg in November) ship will undergo adequate sea trials this time, before embarking for the caribbean: Sewage wont be a feature, the crew wont have to dole out desktop fans, steam pipes wont explode, the thrusters will work, and the crew wont have to endure inhumane temperatures in the galleys, Hurrah

19 No free safes....Grrrr

20 Disability Dilemma's are being reviewed

21 They ARE looking at sub-brands....they are really, really pushing cruise and stay (to the resort based sub-brands) if there is a demand and it proves profitable.....floating 2wenties anyone?

22 New seasons launches are generally aligned to the land based launches, they are also considering mixing up the ships/itineraries a little

23 Spirit and Majesty's fate is, as yet undecided....could be modernised, could be replaced (No mention of Mein Shiff/Bliss)

24 No change to the double/twin bed ratio

25 Destiny is definitely History, Gone forever, it is In The past, an Ex Destiny, Deceased, It is no more....Oh Why do you have to rub it in!?....So Luved Destiny, My life will never be the same without you

26 No more stops at Margarita Island......Sorted!

27 No refit for the Island escape....its currently resting....but they have added glasses of bottled water to the AI.......we are so grateful, we really are, really

28 Please ban ms magot from the salon! the spa girls can work wonders but ms magot needs a gang of scaffolders and a cement mixer

29 A Slicker booking process has been considered and a memo sent to the IT dept......so far they have only received a standard automated response

30 They are now offering free glasses of bottled water from the bars on demand, drink as much as you like all day, every day....wash with it, make water bombs with it, do whatever you like with it, even take it home with you, shower your grateful neighbours with it.....where are my pills

31 Drinks packages will need to be purchased by all members of a party (for obvious reasons)

32 Havana is back....yeay!

33 Naples will be sometimes swapped for Sorento but La spezia has been ditched forever?

34 PRINCESSTHE BEST Just give it a go....you might like it.....convinced yet?

35 they are working on longer one off cruises in the med for 2014

36 Adriatic Explorer and Corfu to stay but doesn’t look to be expanded....shame

37 No more embarking in Funchal.....but why??

38 No short ex UK Christmas markets/tasters either......but why?? Honestly! Tasters are the way to go, the market is expanding here in UK....P&O has cottoned on?

39 UK and Ireland is their first port of call but they don’t rule out selling abroad more but only if they like the 'Salisbury Steak'

40 The crew do have relatively comfortable working conditions and decent salaries....heartening to know this

41 Dream refurb.....a few menu updates, a new spa, makeover of Orion, Lido & Medusa lounge, new pool deck furniture (hope its like what I heard they have got on the Celebration) and a canopy,

new line in the Lido (that should stop the elbows at dawn)

cabin facelifts, new carpets in the lobbies

and a few surprises (oh, do tell, do tell? Please)

42 Some development for a new website....they have sent a memo to the IT dept (probably in Mumbai)

43 Spirits fate is still undecided

44 its 20K free baggage....and no negotiation

45 No price promise, prices will continue to follow a completely random pattern

46 Yalta and Odessa is coming whoo hoo!

47 what sort of drinks packages would you like to see onboard? I feel another poll coming on here

48 They would like a new ship but can’t afford one yet......the mein Shiff just happens to be on the market, maybe they could haggle?

49 looks like only Glasgow flights available to Scots cruisesrs.....bit like saying only Manchester available for English cruisers?

50 Agadir's card is marked but the Azores are looking likely

51 Ah the tipping....why is it that we Brits are so uncomfortable with tipping.....It doesn’t occur to us that a waiter might be actually be enjoying his job and taking pride in it, that it may have been a career choice, no, we see them as only being civil and charming because of their insatiable desire for a tip, its not true....but if we then give them a tip we feel rotten about it and worry that the waiter will feel humiliated...its a conundrum that Thoms are trying to sort out by including tips in the price, what they mean is the crew are given a proper living wage and do not rely on tips as is the case on some other lines

52 They’ve sent another memo to the IT Dept re paying balances online but they haven’t received a reply yet............probably sitting around on beanbags discussing Black Ops 2

53 They’ve asked Louis to buy some better ships so Louis are busy selling thier old fleet as we speak

54 We are all fed up with losing the quizzes....how come, somebody always gets 200 points even when there are only 15 questions?

55 No world Cruise plans as yet.....but maybe if we can come up with a decent itinerary they may consider it

56 whoo hoo! an Ipod docking station in the suites.....I hope its an Isucksi

57 They've got their own team of social media/cruise ambassadors/bloggers probably working under a strict social media policy

58 They like the Majesty......must be making a good margin

59 the ticket booklet went off to save the trees......and the planet.....and us all....from oblivion

Hope I've covered it all as accurately as I can....feel free to correct/comment (some of its tongue in cheek.....sorry......just cant stay serious for more than 6 seconds......and this took......ages)

Fantastic sailaway for posting all the Q&A and also geomagot - as usual a brilliant summary!

Much appreciated both of you! ;)

(My friends asked me what's been discussed :eek::eek::eek: fortunately I've sent her the links of your Q&A compilation sailaway and your summary geomagot - I wasn't even going to start! :D )

The 2nd lot

60 The Dolphins have been Investigated, Tried and Convicted to life behind bars on trumped up charges of being too friendly and smiling a lot:(

61 The Cruise sales staff are doing a sterling job but just in case they are all being sent on free cruises so they won’t be at their desks at all

62 Gluten free meals currently consist of a Muesli Bar but Cider is now on the AI...I'm from the West Country so this is fantastic news....music to my ears (not the muesli bar bit)

63 10 day cruises already exist, they are a 7 day cruise coupled with a 3 day stay?

64 Bit vague on leasing one of the Statendam fleet.....would be nice tho eh;)

65 Island Escape is staying as far as we know.....it will probably stay until it turns to a pile of dust and even then they will still continue to sell cruises on it....instead of a sea day they could have a bucket day.....bring your own bucket:)

66 They are offering adults only sailings but only at times when the children have said it will be OK for the adults to go

67 Another 'secret' homeport for winter, but anyone from Scotland will have to walk there:(

68 By all accounts the AI package is being standardised and isn’t at all bad....bottled water, cider and a few branded spirits (Bacardi) is now included....so no complaints here

69 4 day cruise and 3 day stay, sounds like a plan (thumbup)

70 Sharm flights debacle has been forwarded to the airline guys for filing in the bin

71 Thoms really do read this forum....so......Hi there Guys, thanks for coming, so sorry I missed you, but, we like you, we really do, we want you back, we want you back to stay (is that an Adele song?)

72 I didn’t speak to anyone who didn’t have a refurbished cabin on the Celebration last week....perhaps the ones that didn’t are still trying to untangle themselves from the shower curtain?:)

And what is Mrs Geomagot doing after your week in Sharm? Washing and ironing I expect :D:D:D

Funny you should mention that....the kids and I threw our shorts and flip flops in a pile on the floor when we got back on Thursday night.....and for some strange reason? they are still there???:D:D:D

Hi Sailaway. Just want to say a big "thank you" for all your work, it has been exceptionally helpful and really appreciated. We were totally satisfied with our question about the current policy about wheelchair users being allowed to occupy a cabin on their own. Thank you again for all your facilitation. :)

So, to sum up:

The 1st lot:

1 Powered wheelchairs to be accepted onboard

and the area for charghing them up will be ....

2 They want a new build ship but can't afford one right now

Should have gone to Wongacoin.com

3 Destiny is History (Sob....Luved Destiny)

Most of us did ... Maybe its all a dream or is that the other ship .

Look at the TV show Dallas that kept coming back ,why not the Destiny.

4 They are trying to sell a small number of British style cruising to the international market through TUI connections but the British product won’t be tinkered with

We will all be given an interpreter each

5 They are looking at ways to add more balconies to the existing fleet but don’t want to lose to many of their core (good value & high selling) basic cabins

This master plan will look good when finished

6 No Laundries on the Dream (Booo!)

But

They are adding island food counters in the Lido (Yeay) much needed IMO

Anyone found washing their clothes around the island food counter will be asked to leave the ship.

7 They are trialling loyalty perks but are stuck for ideas? (let me put the question back to you. If Thomson Cruises had a loyalty scheme, what benefits would you really like to see as part of it?) I feel a poll coming on here

Ermm ? Things that are free or save us all money

8 They tried to tinker with the entertainment but have decided the backlash would be too great so they've reinstated it (best they can in the case of the Majesty)

The Maj is doing great ! JakAnne reported that they had bouncers on the doors turning the crowds away!

9 Dreamliner flights to Caribbean from Gatwick & Manchester from winter 2013 (Fantastic!!) and a (secret) new home port ....could be Pacific Mexico, Far East and Indian Ocean....the world is our oyster

Oysters... secrets ... Could be Goole docks

10 Majesty & Spirit may or may not be history after 2014 Dream and Celebration will be with us long term

They like to keep us guessing don't they

11 In the future....sometime? the online booking system will be upgraded to include more (but unspecified) options during the booking process

Ah but which future ...the far or near ???

12 No Bodrum as a home port for various operational reasons

Also a spokesperson for the Turkish Visa Office was gutted by this outcome.

13 Platinum refurb work during this winters sailings not expected to impact passengers adversely at all (Including the CEO who is sailing on Celebration shortly) Actually this reflects what I was told personally last week by cruise passengers that I spoke to in Sharm last week.....no-one (that I spoke to) noticed any work going on at all In fact most thought the work had been finished as it all looked so good (Thumbup)

So they are telling us that the CEO's Cabin is ready !

14 Excess baggage option is preselected (apparently) because Thoms are so thoughtful of our well being that they wouldn’t want us to be charged for excess baggage on arrival at the airport!? so I'd better ditch that Lilo & sunbed I was going to try and get thru in my hand luggage

I/we will all think of this thoughtful act as we sling our cases onto the airport scales ,which are now reading 19.99Kg

15 The games hosts hadn’t noticed that most of the winners had been on-board the previous week????

Maybe we all look the same to them ...Drunk

16 Doesn’t look like North Cape from Harwich is being considered although new destinations are, and maybe new UK turnaround ports but Newcastle will stay........I propose Southampton or Poole (is Poole big enough?) or Falmouth (But only because Cornwall could really do with the money it would generate)

We need a bit of balance .. Glasgow Docks !

17 Ditto the above re Newcastle

Sunderland will not be happy

18 Dream is currently in Hamburg....temp in Hamburg a positively balmy 2 degrees (not bad for Hamburg in November) ship will undergo adequate sea trials this time, before embarking for the caribbean: Sewage wont be a feature, the crew wont have to dole out desktop fans, steam pipes wont explode, the thrusters will work, and the crew wont have to endure inhumane temperatures in the galleys, Hurrah

Ship shape and ready to go .. yipee !

19 No free safes....Grrrr

Could it be they offer value for money (toThomsons)

20 Disability Dilemma's are being reviewed

See Q1

21 They ARE looking at sub-brands....they are really, really pushing cruise and stay (to the resort based sub-brands) if there is a demand and it proves profitable.....floating 2wenties anyone?

Will these floating twenty year olds be issued with a life vest and allowed back onboard at night ?

22 New seasons launches are generally aligned to the land based launches, they are also considering mixing up the ships/itineraries a little

So it's a cruise around the UK and a few days in Cleethorpes then ?

23 Spirit and Majesty's fate is, as yet undecided....could be modernised, could be replaced (No mention of Mein Shiff/Bliss)

Not many people speak of these ships all in the same sentence

24 No change to the double/twin bed ratio

Daves not happy about this

25 Destiny is definitely History, Gone forever, it is In The past, an Ex Destiny, Deceased, It is no more....Oh Why do you have to rub it in!?....So Luved Destiny, My life will never be the same without you

Good news they might keep the Sky Bar !

26 No more stops at Margarita Island......Sorted!

Can we wave to them as we sail by ?

27 No refit for the Island escape....its currently resting....but they have added glasses of bottled water to the AI.......we are so grateful, we really are, really

Go on your on holiday , Have another bottle of water .. Luxury

28 Please ban ms magot from the salon! the spa girls can work wonders but ms magot needs a gang of scaffolders and a cement mixer

I'm sure she does not need the Spa and can charm the ducks off the water .. If not try a slice of bread .

29 A Slicker booking process has been considered and a memo sent to the IT dept......so far they have only received a standard automated response

Working flat out then

30 They are now offering free glasses of bottled water from the bars on demand, drink as much as you like all day, every day....wash with it, make water bombs with it, do whatever you like with it, even take it home with you, shower your grateful neighbours with it.....where are my pills

Stevie will be pleased ..He likes things like that:rolleyes:

31 Drinks packages will need to be purchased by all members of a party (for obvious reasons)

don't tell me... Is it we will all get drunk together ?

32 Havana is back....yeay!

Tell her I said hello

33 Naples will be sometimes swapped for Sorento but La spezia has been ditched forever?

Cruises up and down La spezia on the Destiny anyone ?

34 PRINCESSTHE BEST Just give it a go....you might like it.....convinced yet?

Sorry but it's no better than John West to me .

35 they are working on longer one off cruises in the med for 2014

Oh good, I'll give it a miss maybe next time.

36 Adriatic Explorer and Corfu to stay but doesn’t look to be expanded....shame

Yeah Shame on you !

37 No more embarking in Funchal.....but why??

Could it be they save money not doing another lifeboat drill ?

38 No short ex UK Christmas markets/tasters either......but why?? Honestly! Tasters are the way to go, the market is expanding here in UK....P&O has cottoned on?

P&O has cottoned on ...Too true! 2 for £79 and you get to go from the epicentre of cruising (Tides permitting ) Hull

39 UK and Ireland is their first port of call but they don’t rule out selling abroad more but only if they like the 'Salisbury Steak'

Fine dining at its best with gravy & onions .

40 The crew do have relatively comfortable working conditions and decent salaries....heartening to know this

Agreed !

41 Dream refurb.....a few menu updates, a new spa, makeover of Orion, Lido & Medusa lounge, new pool deck furniture (hope its like what I heard they have got on the Celebration) and a canopy,

new line in the Lido (that should stop the elbows at dawn)

cabin facelifts, new carpets in the lobbies

and a few surprises (oh, do tell, do tell? Please)

New carpets ... Thats it you will not sail upon this ship anymore !

The Destiny had new carpets and they stopped us from sailing her .

42 Some development for a new website....they have sent a memo to the IT dept (probably in Mumbai)

Be sat in a spam box somewhere

43 Spirits fate is still undecided

Yes it is you don't get much ,it's free on demand water now .

Or did you mean the Ship .;)

44 its 20K free baggage....and no negotiation

Open and shut case then

45 No price promise, prices will continue to follow a completely random pattern

Will they at least promise to keep it all random then ?

46 Yalta and Odessa is coming whoo hoo!

Havana will be pleased a nice bit of company

47 what sort of drinks packages would you like to see onboard? I feel another poll coming on here

I vote buy one beer get 9 free !

48 They would like a new ship but can’t afford one yet......the mein Shiff just happens to be on the market, maybe they could haggle?

They did haggle years ago .. we can now park our ships next to theirs

49 looks like only Glasgow flights available to Scots cruisesrs.....bit like saying only Manchester available for English cruisers?

We can land the Welsh in Doncaster then

50 Agadir's card is marked but the Azores are looking likely

Agadir should be shown the red card

51 Ah the tipping....why is it that we Brits are so uncomfortable with tipping.....It doesn’t occur to us that a waiter might be actually be enjoying his job and taking pride in it, that it may have been a career choice, no, we see them as only being civil and charming because of their insatiable desire for a tip, its not true....but if we then give them a tip we feel rotten about it and worry that the waiter will feel humiliated...its a conundrum that Thoms are trying to sort out by including tips in the price, what they mean is the crew are given a proper living wage and do not rely on tips as is the case on some other lines

Thats why the Thomson crew have real smiles upon their faces

52 They’ve sent another memo to the IT Dept re paying balances online but they haven’t received a reply yet............probably sitting around on beanbags discussing Black Ops 2

Have they got to level two yet .. Memo tell them to delete that .

53 They’ve asked Louis to buy some better ships so Louis are busy selling thier old fleet as we speak

Yes and the lucky buyer is ...TUI (UK)

54 We are all fed up with losing the quizzes....how come, somebody always gets 200 points even when there are only 15 questions?

Did you buy your quizmasters drinks each day ???

55 No world Cruise plans as yet.....but maybe if we can come up with a decent itinerary they may consider it

Planet Earth looks good for Cruising

56 whoo hoo! an Ipod docking station in the suites.....I hope its an Isucksi

How did we ever manage before we had ..

57 They've got their own team of social media/cruise ambassadors/bloggers probably working under a strict social media policy

Nice work if you can get it ... Make cuppa ..read this lot ...report back to the boss.

58 They like the Majesty......must be making a good margin

Yes Louis did tell Thomson to LIKE the majesty or lump it .

59 the ticket booklet went off to save the trees......and the planet.....and us all....from oblivion

Fear not it is back ..the size of a beer mat but it is back

Hope I've covered it all as accurately as I can....feel free to correct/comment (some of its tongue in cheek.....sorry......just cant stay serious for more than 6 seconds......and this took......ages)

Fantastic job .I fail to see why the CEO did not let you do the responses for him in the first place ..Well done .

These summaries have certainly cheered me up :D

I wonder if a loyalty perk for an 11 cruise solo cruiser might be a guranteed good nights sleep - without the use of a mallet ;)

this P&O thing must be getting to me. I booked my Premier Inn hotel for the Majesty flight, day before check in is great :)

just before i pressed the 'pay' button i realised I was booking Premier Inn West Quay Southampton :eek:

I need a holiday.

This P&O thing must be getting to me. I booked my Premier Inn hotel for the Majesty flight, day before check in is great

just before i pressed the 'pay' button i realised I was booking Premier Inn West Quay Southampton

I need a holiday.

You sound a bit happier today Dave :) Thinking we might stay overnight at Gatwick too if DH agrees :rolleyes:

How does overnight check in work then? Surely you can't put your suitcases in until the day of the flight. Where would I put my jim-jams and all the beauty aids that I need the night before and in the morning? :D:D

We did stay at Gatwick once when we went to the Caribbean, but it cost over £70 :eek: Now I see that if you book in advance, it only costs about £35 but no refund if you don't turn up. Is that right? DH not keen on going the day before, but I think, due to dodgy weather in February, it might be a good idea. :)

You sound a bit happier today Dave :) Thinking we might stay overnight at Gatwick too if DH agrees :rolleyes:

How does overnight check in work then? Surely you can't put your suitcases in until the day of the flight. Where would I put my jim-jams and all the beauty aids that I need the night before and in the morning? :D

We did stay at Gatwick once when we went to the Caribbean, but it cost over £70 :eek: Now I see that if you book in advance, it only costs about £35 but no refund if you don't turn up. Is that right? DH not keen on going the day before, but I think, due to dodgy weather in February, it might be a good idea. :)

By overnight check-in do you mean taking your suitcases to the airport the night before you travel? I did this from Manchester a few years ago.

When we arrived at the airport we checked in our cases at a special check-in desk (no queues) and had our cases weighed and checked in. We were even given our seat numbers so we knew we did not have to get to the airport early in the morning to get seats together. We were on long haul so wanted to sit together but not pay to prebook!

We then got the courtesy bus to the hotel. The next morning after a relaxing evening and a good night sleep we got the courtesy bus to the airport carrying only our hand luggage (yes included nightwear, make-up, straighteners, valuables, etc). Would definitely do it again.

What we generally do though is travel from Newcastle where they do not have day before check-in. If the flight is early morning we stay at Pr..... Inn (£29 last time) and get car park courtesy bus to hotel with suitcases. But then we usually have a long wait to check in cases. The benefit is we don't have to worry about getting to the airport late and all my last minute panicking was done the day before.

This next holiday our flight is in the afternoon so does not warrant an overnight stay, but if the weather is bad when the time comes we will be considering it. Don't want to miss our cruise!:eek:

Day-before check-in is available at Gatwick but not for Caribbean flights! :oDon't know why that is but has been the situation for the last two years. We were able to check-in the day before for a Sharm flight and as Jakanne says it's briliiant if you can do it and makes an early morning flight time much more civilised!

The 3rd lot

73 If you want a lift to the ship, just get on the bus....you can sit in the Thoms reps seat and they will have to stand

74 Its a real problem getting the on deck music balance right....they are always playing Sultans of Swing!?

75 They want to bolt some balconies to the side of the Celebration but have run out of nails

76 They have called the Tech department re ship-cams but are currently on hold listening to Milli Vanilli (on a loop)

77 Thomson’s ships are (quote) 'incredibly fuel efficient' probably because the ships are so old that they probably run on coal or dung

78 There is no creche because clients don’t trust the hosts to not serve the kids alcohol

79 They are going to leave the sofas in the cabins on the dream and they may even add natty cushions too....hurrah

80 They do try very hard to feature a delightful mix of industrial ports and uninhabited swamps to suit all tastes

81 They are keeping an eye on the unrest in the Middle East & ....they've had plenty of practice of unrest from dealing with the chaos of Sharm airport

82 They've finally had a reply from the IT dept......it’s an app that lets you fire ships at angry birds

83 they've replaced 2 bathrooms with some fantastic mosaic tiles

84 You cant book from the US because you fed our food to the dog and you demanded too much sugar on your celery....what will you want next?...Lobster Tails!

85 They are doing surveys as to why people book their own tours but no-one has responded yet because they are all on tours

86 They didn’t build any single cabins...they didn’t like the fact that singles have more fun

87 The IE will continue to sail only in the summer it needs so many welding jobs that it takes all winter to complete them

88 They are going to change the wording in the brochure to make the No Irons & No kettles wording clearer?

89 There is a secret solution to the sunbed wars....but its a secret....maybe bunk sunbeds? or top and tailing us on the sunbeds!

90 The Dream transatlantic is leaving from Lisbon because they want to fly some skiers out too?? That’ll be jet skiers I guess??

91 Liverpool as a homeport is being considered but Newcastle is up in arms about it

92 Hull can’t support a cruise ship at the moment and anyway Grimsby will never forgive them

93 Majesty has had 50 windows replaced....with portholes

94 The soup will continue to taste identical....Readybrek soup anyone?

95 Oh Destiny, Destiny why did you go?....Why have you left me? ...How can I go on without you? You said it was only a trial separation......I gave you the space you said you needed.....but you haven’t come back yet?....I blame your Mother!

96 There’s no room for Pilates, Stretching, Yoga & Zumba...they must be really big cocktails?

97 Free onboard spend in the Caribbean is more popular because the alternative is Credit card spend with a 2% surcharge!

98 Oh Majesty Majesty are you all that’s left to me after Destiny Deserted me for someone called Olympia

99 They did berth at Rovinj onetime but Koper never forgave them

100 Scottish ports have not been ruled for the future, sometime, who knows

101 Platinum benefits for suites consist of the same benefits of a standard cabin plus an Isucksi and premier service (otherwise known as standard service)

102 Some Deluxe cabin already have kettles but no tea, coffee or cups yet

103 They are planning new home-ports using the Dreamliner....Far East has been mentioned again (amongst others that are not important right now)....hope its Port Klang for Kuala Lumpur (Thumbup)

104 How to get on the captains table is still a mystery....somebody fetch Hercule Poirot

105 Stand by your Beds......They are still lurking on the boards

By overnight check-in do you mean taking your suitcases to the airport the night before you travel? I did this from Manchester a few years ago.

When we arrived at the airport we checked in our cases at a special check-in desk (no queues) and had our cases weighed and checked in. We were even given our seat numbers so we knew we did not have to get to the airport early in the morning to get seats together. We were on long haul so wanted to sit together but not pay to prebook!

We then got the courtesy bus to the hotel. The next morning after a relaxing evening and a good night sleep we got the courtesy bus to the airport carrying only our hand luggage (yes included nightwear, make-up, straighteners, valuables, etc). Would definitely do it again.

What we generally do though is travel from Newcastle where they do not have day before check-in. If the flight is early morning we stay at Pr..... Inn (£29 last time) and get car park courtesy bus to hotel with suitcases. But then we usually have a long wait to check in cases. The benefit is we don't have to worry about getting to the airport late and all my last minute panicking was done the day before.

This next holiday our flight is in the afternoon so does not warrant an overnight stay, but if the weather is bad when the time comes we will be considering it. Don't want to miss our cruise!:eek:

Hi Jakanne,

Well our flight is 11am, which sounds good, but we have to be at Gatwick, which is 85 miles from Oxford, about 9am. We have an hourly bus service which leaves at 20 past the hour so would have to leave at 6.20am :eek: If DH thinks I'm standing around for a bus at that time of the morning in February, he can think again:D Who knows what weather we might have in February? My thinking is the cost of booking seats is £58 so if we can get a room for £30ish that would be great :) Got to convince him I'm saving him money :D

Our nearest airport is Luton, but that flight is really early and involves driving there in the dark and possibly snow :eek: and because of our wonderful coach service we usually chose Gatwick.

Just want to check Gatwick has day before check in. Dave????

Day-before check-in is available at Gatwick but not for Caribbean flights! :oDon't know why that is but has been the situation for the last two years. We were able to check-in the day before for a Sharm flight and as Jakanne says it's briliiant if you can do it and makes an early morning flight time much more civilised!
Thanks Kruzseeka, just seen your post after I posted mine :rolleyes: Off to persuade DH I am saving money:D:D

Thanks Kruzseeka, just seen your post after I posted mine :rolleyes: Off to persuade DH I am saving money:D:D

Just checked P......inn (£29) and you have loads of choice of hotels so just need to make sure you get one nearest the airport or there is a courtesy bus service/taxi. It is really worth it just for peace of mind and your holiday starts one day earlier. :D

Just checked P......inn (£29) and you have loads of choice of hotels so just need to make sure you get one nearest the airport or there is a courtesy bus service/taxi. It is really worth it just for peace of mind and your holiday starts one day earlier. :D
I will check the prices out. DH has gone off to bed. Just watching the Secret of Crickley Hall - scarey :eek:

Archived