Adagio Strings, adieu

TraelorMex

It sounds to me that HAL is trying to improve things...the Adagio Strings are sometimes good/sometimes not so good. I'm looking forward to hearing "Adagio" if they are on the Ryndam in January.

It sounds more like HAL is being Carnivalized.

It sounds more like HAL is being Carnivalized.

Not at all from our one experience with Adagio - it was a quality improvement and not a down grade by any measure. Nice to see the ever-growing crowds on our recent Oosterdam trip who also enjoyed this new improved classical listening alternative We did have a particularly spectacular duo and I am sorry i did not get their names - obviously classically trained and could play just about anything on sight alone. They typically played sets starting with a familiar "pops" piece, and then moved on to classical choices with greater complexities, showing off their very considerable talents. Bravo to Adagio. I think you will like them.

Not at all from our one experience with Adagio - it was a quality improvement and not a down grade by any measure. Nice to see the ever-growing crowds on our recent Oosterdam trip who also enjoyed this new improved classical listening alternative We did have a particularly spectacular duo and I am sorry i did not get their names - obviously classically trained and could play just about anything on sight alone. They typically played sets starting with a familiar "pops" piece, and then moved on to classical choices with greater complexities, showing off their very considerable talents. Bravo to Adagio. I think you will like them.

Their names are David Kovacs and Attila Balogh. I posted a link a few messages above where you can see and hear them play three songs. Typhoon, only someone who hasn't had the experience of listening to this duo can say it "sounds" like Carnivalization. Listen to them and then give an opinion.

One a past cruise we were told by a member of the "Strings" that they were students who had auditioned for the job on board and that they formed their quartet for that purpose. The were not very good and we only went to see them once. This pair is an established duo and they clearly communicate while playing.

I hope Hal is paying these musicians as much as they were paying the earlier four - having now booked quality over quantity.

If anyone is interested, this will take you to three song performed by the duo we had the privilege of listening to on the Oosterdam up until Wednesday. The first three on this site are David and Atilla. I have no idea where these were recorded.

http://www.veengle.com/s/david%20kovacs.html

Bravo! It would be nice if HAL advertised ahead of time which performers will be on a cruise with links to their videos. I wouldn't hesititate booking a specific cruise to see this duo or the 'Piano Man' David Anthony again: http://davidanthonymusic.com.

Returned from a Ryndam cruise on 11/10. The quartet in the Explorers Lounge was exceptional. I think that HAL finds these wonderful people in Eastern Europe and I am glad that I have never been disappointed with any one of the many classical quartets that I have enjoyed on the past 26 cruises.:):)

I just arrived home today from the Oosterdam. There was an Adiago duo in the explorer's lounge. They played on and off from 6:30 to 10:30 every evening, with breaks. The lounge was standing room only every night. During breaks when some people would get up and leave, the standers would scramble for seats and wait out the break. Yes they were THAT good.

They were good enough that they were given the Vista Lounge one evening for the two big shows, both packed.

They finished their contract but hope to be back. This was two young men from Hungary, David on the violin and Atilla on the piano.

More on my wonderful cruise later, but had to share this now,

That was our experience on the Oosterdam, on the Eclipse trip and the following 14 day around New Zealand....... we spent a lot of time in the Explorations Lounge listening, and often had to get there very early to get a seat.

I had never connected well with the Adagio quartets.... they never seemed to engage with the audience at all, more like they were doing a private practice session and couldn't be bothered to notice us. Attila and David were much more expressive and responsive.... you could tell that they really enjoyed performing, not just playing.

I should note that neither of us are musicians, but we certainly found this a step up, not a step down.

That was our experience on the Oosterdam' date=' on the Eclipse trip and the following 14 day around New Zealand....... we spent a lot of time in the Explorations Lounge listening, and often had to get there very early to get a seat..[/quote']

Hmmm, I wonder if we chatted while there. We were there every evening!

I love the fact that HAL is bringing changes to the entertainment offerings. One common thread of recent times bemoans the "same old same old". This year, HAL is answering our concerns with a lot of variety: "Dancing with the Stars" stars, "new and improved" Adaggio Strings, and the very new and love them or not "Recycled Percussion" (the hottest entertainment group in Las Vegas). It's important that HAL cater to various demographics. I, for one, love seeing diversity in their entertainment offerings, not only on a particular cruise, but also between the ships and destinations. If everything is always the same from ship to ship and from year to year, HAL will be hard pressed to build and maintain their customer loyalty. I'm glad HAL is listening to "everyone".

Interesting about the Adagio Strings. As previously posted in other threads, HAL had a new production show called ENCORE that incorporated the Adagio Strings into the HAL band. It is the best production show I had ever seen and the two shows I saw both received standing ovations !

We just got off the Maasdam and they did the show "Encore" and it was the best entertainment of the whole cruise. The production show including the Adagio Strings was Great. Don't miss it.

We just got off the Maasdam and they did the show "Encore" and it was the best entertainment of the whole cruise. The production show including the Adagio Strings was Great. Don't miss it.

Yeah, I just scanned through this thread and I'm not sure what y'all are talking about. On the 11/30-12/10 Maasdam trip we had an "Adagio Strings" quartet of four lovely Hungarian ladies who always played to a packed house. Of course, in the Maasdam's dramatically-reduced Explorer's Nook, this wasn't hard, but I'm sure they would have filled the space even before they made half of it into the Pinnacle Grill and a third into a jewelry store. They also played for about half an hour from the balcony in the MDR at the late seating, and at the Encore show, and they had their own recital concert in the main lounge on the last day. They were very popular.

Archived