Answering Cell phone on the ship

Mijo

I'm just wondering if I receive a call on my cell while on the ship but I don't pick it up, do I get charge for something?? I want to keep it on to be able to receive text messages from my kids that are back home...

Thank you

From Cellular at Sea website:

Voice usage is measured during the time you are connected to your system, which is approximately from the time you press the button that initiates or answers the call until approximately the time the first party terminates the call. Voice usage for each call is billed in full minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute.

It looks like if you do not answer you will not be charged

We were told that if we left our phone on, didn't answer a call and let it go to voicemail, international roaming rates would apply. :confused: We kept ours turned off except if we needed to use it.

That is correct in my experience as well...learned the hard way one time...never again...calls & texts were charged roaming rates...ugh! Use carnival.com's free site to keep in touch...used it on the Dream last month.

I'm just wondering if I receive a call on my cell while on the ship but I don't pick it up, do I get charge for something?? I want to keep it on to be able to receive text messages from my kids that are back home...

Thank you

My phone is with Bell Mobility.

My incoming texts are free (Included in my monthly plan)but my outgoing are not.

On the bell website it lists "cruise ships and flight" voice is $7/min date is $16/mb and texts are 75 cents. I'm not sure who your provider is but it may list it on their site.

I was not charged for voice mail messages that we rcv'd. You usually aren't charged until you dial into your voicemail box. I left a message on my voice mail saying to text if they needed to get ahold of me as i won't be returning calls during my trip! If someone doesn't have a cel phone they can send you a test for free from your Cellular providers website.

Check with your specific carrier as other suggested. Yes, it would be nice to just turn it off and leave it in the safe but as a parent with a child in college in the case of an emergency I want to ensure they can reach me if they have to whatever the cost.

to get to Currently Onboard

carnival.com - community - user groups (currently onboard)

It is a message board much like CC. It is open for everyone to read.

To post all need to be registered. We set it up ahead of time and email the link to our family.

My phone is with Bell Mobility.

My incoming texts are free (Included in my monthly plan)but my outgoing are not.

On the bell website it lists "cruise ships and flight" voice is $7/min date is $16/mb and texts are 75 cents. I'm not sure who your provider is but it may list it on their site.

I was not charged for voice mail messages that we rcv'd. You usually aren't charged until you dial into your voicemail box. I left a message on my voice mail saying to text if they needed to get ahold of me as i won't be returning calls during my trip! If someone doesn't have a cel phone they can send you a test for free from your Cellular providers website.

Thank you all for your help!! I'm also with Bell Mobility and I don't have voice mail on my cell. I had seen on their website that incoming were free (as I also have unlimited texting) and to send was .75$. I wasn't sure about not answering a call.. Thank you so much as you answered my question. When I call Bell they never know the answer....

MJ

Also keep in mind that if it's a smart phone with data your phone, while on, will continually be using data to send/receive info IE email, weather apps, etc. The fees for this could be huge. You should really call your provider.

Thank you Sherry

My data will definetly be off....

Thank you all for your help!! I'm also with Bell Mobility and I don't have voice mail on my cell. I had seen on their website that incoming were free (as I also have unlimited texting) and to send was .75$. I wasn't sure about not answering a call.. Thank you so much as you answered my question. When I call Bell they never know the answer....

MJ

ahhhh, I get it. I had Bell once....enough said.

Thank you Sherry

My data will definetly be off....

You're welcome. You may have alredy realized that but some people don't and get surprised with some awful phone bills. Didn't want that to happen to you.

Enjoy your cruise!!

Thank you

Even if you don't pick it up,if it goes to voicemail you will be charged.

|Our cell gets turned off and battery removed when we board and put in the safe until we debark. When we hit a port we go to an internet café for $1 per hour and beer at $1.50 and catch up - if any thing super important comes up they know how to contact us through the ship other wise we are unavailable for day to day stuff. I know that this does not work for some people but it does for us and happily leave all our gadgets at home. I laugh when I see people on the Lido texting, tweeting, twittering, etc - my idea of a holiday is to get away from it all.

Cell phone is turned off prior to leaving the dock and then put in safe until we are either in a US area (have AT&T) or return to dock at end of cruise. Anyone that must contact us (as in a LIFE/DEATH DECISION WHICH MUST BE MADE RIGHT THEN) has the ship number to call and reach us. If it's important enough for like $9 or $10 a minute then fine. If not, allow us to relax and enjoy our cruise. Yes, we have had a child who did not go but if they are old enough to be in college or out on their own, they are old enough to make most decisions. Not Life/Death, then we'll talk upon arriving home.

Even if you don't pick it up,if it goes to voicemail you will be charged.

I'm not sure this is true for all providers or the OP's but it is something I've heard before and is a concern of mine. I personally leave my phone in airplane mode as our kids go with us. But I think I read on another thread about cell phones where a poster said they had their incoming phone calls redirected to their home number or a different number so to avoid the voice mail thing. Anyone else hear hear this?

You will also be charged for the internet your phone uses...all the background stuff working on your phone (updates, widgets that are working things behind the scenes etc) I was told-even if you are not surfing the internet on your phone.

It would be easier to just call from the ship with their new low rates per minute or wait until you are docked and in port then you can text.

call your carrier however....and be sure. above is what i was told by my carrier.

From Cellular at Sea website:

Voice usage is measured during the time you are connected to your system, which is approximately from the time you press the button that initiates or answers the call until approximately the time the first party terminates the call. Voice usage for each call is billed in full minute increments with partial minutes rounded up to the next full minute.

It looks like if you do not answer you will not be charged

this is not true, as i was told that even if you do not answer, and your phone goes to voice mail, you can be charged for that, as your phone "answers" it.

use an old fashioned basic phone for texting while on the ship..50 cents or something like that and then 5 cents..dont remember which was for incoming and which was for outgoing.

Have your cell calls directed to your landline

and since it is a basic phone you do not need to worry about data

this might sound complicated but for those with a kid at college or an elderly parent or a babysitter etc. situation..it does work..

Use any of the basic phones that you may still have around the house..or in our case..my phone as I hate smartphones...make sure it is active and charged...

and just give the number to those that really matter...the babysitter..the college kid..the neighbor..grandma and grandpa..or their doctor:D

May sound complicated...but it works when you just need to keep in touch with a chosen few..and that is what many posters are concerned about.

of course if you need to stay in touch for work then it doesn't matter really..as it is a business expense and the boss.whoever that may be:D pays the bill

another option is to do a month add-on plan. ATT do global data that's cheap ... about $25 for the plan last time i used it. then, you can check email, etc in ports.

you can also sign up for just a portion of a month. so, if you sign up for 10 days, you get 1/3 the plan's allotted data at 1/3 the price. setting it up via calling 611 or on the internet lets you choose when to start it.

they also have a global calling plan. it's something like $5 to get cheap rates to again call from port.

most of the major carriers have similar options.

Archived