Freedom class JS hump or aft?

FrannyK

I had reserved cabin 9648 (JS hump) on Liberty of the Seas. Our first JS! We had our first aft cabin on the Jewel last year and fell in love with aft cabins. Now I see that aft JS cabin 7412 is available. Would you switch? We do not mind the walk but we've never had a superstructure either so not sure what that would be like. Is it dark? Is the balcony of 7412 much bigger than 9648? Is it less private?

FrannyK: We had 7712 for the fall Liberty TA this year (we had friends in 7412). A Freedom Class ship aft cabin is a different experience than being in a Radiance Class aft cabin. The Freedom Class cabins are NOT on the actual aft of the ship. This doesn't mean that these are a bad cabin (as we enjoy them), simply stating facts. ;)

To specifically answer your questions: "Is it dark?"....depends on your definition, while it is a "partially covered" balcony, the amount of sun you will have will depend upon your direction of travel AND the time of day. We had portions of the day w/ direct sun as well as 'shade'.

"Is the balcony of 7412 much bigger than 9648?" Absolutely!!!

"Is it less private?" No!!! Have not been on the balcony of 9648, so will leave it at that.

Bruce

We just got off the Liberty having spent 9 nights in 7414. I don't have much to add from bbrad8's information, except that you are right above the massive Presidential Family Suite- and right off the back of it's balcony (level with it, as a matter of fact) is a large open area that is painted blue. So when you look down, you see mostly it- not a big deal, but just know that you are not in the true aft of the ship just as Bruce pointed out above.

Also, if you are sensitive to vibration, don't take the cabin. For some reason, we were way more than ok with it- I slept more soundly than I ever expected or remember on a ship. But there's a small, constant, vibration and low level noise there.

Relative to the aft Radience Class, these are smaller balconies. But I have no reference to the buldge JS.

All in all, I would not hesiate a second to be back there again. As it turns out, most of the aft, deck 7 cabins on the Nov 29 sailing were CC people as well as Diamond members. So experienced cruisers who like it at CC chose to be back there, too.

Not sure if that helps at all.

FrannyK: Try the below link, while I would not classify these as 'great' photos, these are actually from 7412!!!

Privacy is NOT a concern IMHO.

Bruce

PS: Sorry, did not realize that site was "on the list". Google "Liberty of the Seas cabin 7412". Check out "your source for stateroom photographs". HTH!!!

FrannyK: We had 7712 for the fall Liberty TA this year (we had friends in 7412). A Freedom Class ship aft cabin is a different experience than being in a Radiance Class aft cabin. The Freedom Class cabins are NOT on the actual aft of the ship. This doesn't mean that these are a bad cabin (as we enjoy them), simply stating facts. ;)

To specifically answer your questions: "Is it dark?"....depends on your definition, while it is a "partially covered" balcony, the amount of sun you will have will depend upon your direction of travel AND the time of day. We had portions of the day w/ direct sun as well as 'shade'.

"Is the balcony of 7412 much bigger than 9648?" Absolutely!!!

"Is it less private?" No!!! Have not been on the balcony of 9648, so will leave it at that.

Bruce

What exactly does that mean? I'm a little confused.

Thanks

What exactly does that mean? I'm a little confused.

Thanks

On Voyager Class and Freedom Class ships (this class of ships are identical on the aft as far as this 'issue/situation' is concerned) there is a section of the ship (from Deck 5 down) that 'exists' to the aft of these ships. The Deck 5 area is actually a "crew area" which does actually possess an "outdoor" area (most of which is covered from view). Starting w/ the cabins on Deck 6 and all Decks above, the cabins/structure is 'inset or indented' from the lower decks. Best guess is this area is 'inset or indented' approx 50-60 ft from the true aft of the ship. This area does 'encompass' the "superstructure" starting on Deck 6 up to Deck 10 that you may find complaints of from others. Hope this makes sense.

Bruce

I just had my first hump JS on the Indy last week. I was in 9644 - nextdoor to the cabin the OP has booked. I have always thought of myself as an aft kind of girl and wondered what I would think. I loved it so much that I changed to one on the Liberty next year giving up the deck 7 corner aft I had previously booked. I had had several aft cabins on Freedom Class/Voyager class ships and several on Radiance/Vision class ships. I don't think I'd ever give up an aft on the latter, but I think I've switched to the hump on the former. I don't mind the structure or the extra deck area when I am back there, but it sure isn't as nice as looking directly down to the ocean. It is also just not as private as it is on the R/V class ships.

On Voyager Class and Freedom Class ships (this class of ships are identical on the aft as far as this 'issue/situation' is concerned) there is a section of the ship (from Deck 5 down) that 'exists' to the aft of these ships. The Deck 5 area is actually a "crew area" which does actually possess an "outdoor" area (most of which is covered from view). Starting w/ the cabins on Deck 6 and all Decks above, the cabins/structure is 'inset or indented' from the lower decks. Best guess is this area is 'inset or indented' approx 50-60 ft from the true aft of the ship. This area does 'encompass' the "superstructure" starting on Deck 6 up to Deck 10 that you may find complaints of from others. Hope this makes sense.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I didn't realize you were referring to the superstructure and after 3 sailings on Freedom Class ships, I never realized they had the same superstructure as the Voyager Class. I guess I need to pay more attention. The only aft cabin I ever had was on Brilliance.

I just had my first hump JS on the Indy last week. I was in 9644 - nextdoor to the cabin the OP has booked. I have always thought of myself as an aft kind of girl and wondered what I would think. I loved it so much that I changed to one on the Liberty next year giving up the deck 7 corner aft I had previously booked. I had had several aft cabins on Freedom Class/Voyager class ships and several on Radiance/Vision class ships. I don't think I'd ever give up an aft on the latter, but I think I've switched to the hump on the former. I don't mind the structure or the extra deck area when I am back there, but it sure isn't as nice as looking directly down to the ocean. It is also just not as private as it is on the R/V class ships.

I think I agree Vicki. The pictures just don't do it for me and if crew is roaming around below I don't feel it's as private as on the hump. I think I will probably keep my hump now. It's such a big ship, the largest we've been on, and the hump is just so darned convenient. On Radiance class I would book an aft for sure though!

Archived