New Cruise Terminal in Hong Kong

Its going to be great. It has been on the drawing board ever since the airport moved out.

Wont be as handy as the present Ocean Terminal, but you will still get fabulous views of the City and the Harbour.

I see the future of cruising in OUR region as cruises originating/terminating from either Hong Kong or Singapore.

It would be nice if Sydney was included as that would be the icing on the cake , but the big ships just dont have the facilities needed to operate efficiently from there....and hence in the big overall picture Australia will lose out...in one way...but at least its not too far us to fly up there and join them.

Its going to be great. It has been on the drawing board ever since the airport moved out.

Wont be as handy as the present Ocean Terminal, but you will still get fabulous views of the City and the Harbour.

I see the future of cruising in OUR region as cruises originating/terminating from either Hong Kong or Singapore.

It would be nice if Sydney was included as that would be the icing on the cake , but the big ships just dont have the facilities needed to operate efficiently from there....and hence in the big overall picture Australia will lose out...in one way...but at least its not too far us to fly up there and join them.

I dunno.....it appears yet another terminal out in the boon docks. I saw a proposal to build a cruise terminal in Sydney out in Botany Bay which is also the boon docks.

Liners are different from planes. Planes are travel from A to B therefore an airport can be anywhere in a metro area and still serve its function as its not the destination.

Cruises are different....ships are generally in port for a day. You do a ships tour or on your own. You can return to the ship and get back off again. Basically time is more precious.

Therefore it is a worrying trend that although all these governments want money from these activities, they are starting to pack off the ships (or looking) to some remote crappy industrial area which then takes the passengers upwards of 30 minutes to get anywhere close to a central area. Of course leaving passengers at the mercy of that other revenue spinner - over priced shuttle buses.

I have been to both Sydney and Hong Kong.....you cannot tell me they cannot find the land in either thats a damn site closer to the action than both places they are proposing. The same goes for Brisbane.... The same old philosophy...spend 15 cents and whinge when you don't get $2.50 back.

I think Hong Kong needed a second terminal years ago. Star cruises have a steak in the current terminal and if the terminal is full then other ships have had to dock at the container port. P&O had this happen to them on a few world cruises I believe. It just keeps Hong Kong up there in the world able to cater to ships in peak season. They are certainly not going to close down the existing terminal just for this one.

I dunno.....it appears yet another terminal out in the boon docks. I saw a proposal to build a cruise terminal in Sydney out in Botany Bay which is also the boon docks

I think we are talking of 2 distinct "terminals" here.

1. An embarkation/disembarkation facility that also acts as a servicing centre for the provisioning of the ship.

2. A dock where passengers can get ashore for the day and return to the ship easily.

The Caribbean is a good example.

Fort Lauderdale cruise boarding facilities are "out in the boon docks" surrounded by huge commercial buildings, oil tanks and container wharves , yet the calls to ports in the Caribbean are often to just an open wharf jutting out into the sea.

The only facility that is going to service and provision the big cruise ships in Sydney , would have to be a purpose built one in Botany Bay, next to the airport. Properly planned it would be amazing and world class.

Diamond Princess call at Hong Kong on 21st & 22nd March 2013 is on the Princess itinerary as TENDER both days.

Too early in the year for the new terminal.

Has anyone used tenders in Hong Kong.

Thats unusual for Hong Kong.

Diamond Princess is too big for the Ocean terminal so she has always docked at a container wharf and shuttles have taken guests into the City.

Having an overnight there you would want to be able to come and go.

I love the Diamond Princess and I am sure that equally I would love Voyager and Soltice but container terminals just don't have the same feeling....no one to wave you off etc.just not the same buzz as leaving from a real terminal.

Good thing my next cruise is on a little 'un. Really looking forward to getting into all the small ports and not dropped off in the middle of stack of logs, cars or shipping containers.

Sue

Archived