South Carolina Birth Certificates....

SlingBlade

Anyone had any problems boarding their cruise with SC birth certificates? SC does NOT have birth certificates with raised seals anymore (since 1999). DS has long form BC , which we used to get a passport & I do believe we used it one time before to cruise. Passport is now expired, will that long form BC be good enough? And I already know that a passport is really the BEST way to go BUT I didnt realize his expired in August since rest of the family's are good thru 2017. we cruise Jan9th, 2013. Give me Mother of the Year award :o

Anyone had any problems boarding their cruise with SC birth certificates? SC does NOT have birth certificates with raised seals anymore (since 1999). DS has long form BC , which we used to get a passport & I do believe we used it one time before to cruise. Passport is now expired, will that long form BC be good enough? And I already know that a passport is really the BEST way to go BUT I didnt realize his expired in August since rest of the family's are good thru 2017. we cruise Jan9th, 2013. Give me Mother of the Year award :o

As long as it is issued by the state you will be fine, it doesn't need a raised seal.

It been a while but before I got my passport I used the small index card style birth certificate.. I had to order from the state as my parents were never given a birth certificate after my birth...however it was of no use when getting passport...I had to order long form for to use when getting passport. Call CC and see what they have to say. Enjoy your cruise on the FANTASY.

Hi

I believe I boarded with a recently expired passport in Tampa, but I also had my SC drivers license with me. To be safe bring both the birth certificate you used for the passport application and the expired passport.

Enjoy your cruise

pat

murrells inlet, sc

There are many states that no longer use raised seals. Watermarks, holograms etc are now being used.

In fact you do not even need to have a certified copy a simple photo copy is acceptable.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/United_States_Citizens.htm

Birth Certificate Information

The following are acceptable:

An original Birth Certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics

A copy of a birth certificate issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics)

A clear, legible, quality Xerox copy of a birth certificate that was originally issued by a Government Agency (State/County/City) or the Department of Health and Vital Statistics). The Xerox copy does not need to be notarized or certified.

Birth Certificate Card

A Consular report of Birth Abroad

The index card birth certificate can not be used anymore for travel but the long form is fine.

As long as it is a valid birth certificate you may use it for travel. However, the State Department has different requirements when applying for a passport and now requires the long form with parents' names listed.

There are many states that no longer use raised seals. Watermarks, holograms etc are now being used.

In fact you do not even need to have a certified copy a simple photo copy is acceptable.

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/shipboard_knowledge/United_States_Citizens.htm

I just used a copy of my birth certificate in October to board and disembark in Baltimore.

I do not think it will be an issue. We just cruised on Nov 28 and while my wife and I have passports, my father's was expired and he used his NC BC while had no raised seal and looked like it had been laundered in his pants a few times. They didn't say a word and didn't look twice. They did require a look at his Driver's license so make sure whoever is NOT using Passport has a good photo ID.

I just returned on Saturday on Fantasy and used the short form small birth certificate that doesnt have my parents listed on it and got on no problem. Its the one that is just slightly larger than my drivers license.

So how was it? This was a 7 day, right? Your reviews are always great.

I have a passport now, but before that - I had no problem boarding either with my South Carolina paper birth certificate or the wallet-sized birth certificate card.

Archived