Lost at Sea ...

CuzMomSays

You are also not far from Tampa or even Miami. Don't limit yourself to just one place. Also, as you realize even though hurricane season starts June 1 when was the last time you remember seeing a hurricane in June?

Have fun and make wonderful memories.

Early December often has low prices, good Caribbean weather, and the ship is decorated for Christmas. April and early May prices aren't too bad. Prices go up in late May and in June -- supply and demand. If you can wait and go in early December, that's what I'd do. Also, it gives you more time to save up. Cruises cost more than just the initial payment. Add on: Tips (gratuities), some drinks (alcohol, carbonated, specialty coffees), shore excursions, shop purchases, parking. Still, you are in a great situation since you can drive to the ship the day of sailing -- no hotel the night before. (Do allow plenty of time for any problems, such as flat tires or road closures.)

I've been on the Carnival Ecstasy a few times when it sailed from Galveston. It is a nice ship. Looks like a very good price for the December 2 or 7 sailing -- 5 day cruise to the Bahamas. Inside (interior) cabins are the cheapest. I actually prefer them. We don't smoke and often we have a smoker next to us with a balcony. And when we've have window cabins, often have the windows clouded up making it hard to see out.

I would use a Travel Agent.

Ask friends for recommendations.

Just be sure there are no fees if you cancel.

They can help you avoid mistakes.

I would go with RCI or another line such as Princess or Celebrity.

Get the passports.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Keith

I totally agree.

In addition to checking out the differences between cruise lines, it is also important to check out the differences between ships because there can be major differences from one ship to another, even on the same cruise line.

Some people love the big, monster-sized ships with all the bells and whistles, while others can't stand them and prefer the smaller or medium sized ships.

Some like ships with big movie screens by the pool, and others hate them.

There are different vibes on different ships, some more high energy, others more laid back and relaxed.

If you smoke, or if smoke bothers you, the smoking policy is another thing to consider.

Many people have booked a balcony cabin only to complain that they were unable to use their balcony because their neighbors were heavy smokers, unaware that they had booked a cruise where smoking on the balcony is allowed.

Also, the condition of the ship itself can vary (spotlessly clean and well maintained, or shabby with mold or sewer smells), as you are probably aware if you have been reading these forums.

Do check out the recent reviews of any ship you are considering, and read a number of them to get balanced viewpoints as there is almost always a cheerleader who says everything was wonderful and a complainer who finds fault with everything. ;)

Once you have narrowed down your options to only a couple of cruise lines, ask your questions about the specific ships you are considering on the appropriate forum for that cruise line.

In case you have any trouble locating the forum for the cruise line you want, just come back here to let us know and someone here will give you a direct link to it.

Cus Mom

Just a thought you might want to consider, if the four of you are close.

Four of us... all friends in our 60's went on some "girls cruises". We went on RCCL and on Carnival. We all were in the same cabin together (beds--two uppers and two lowers). This made for a lot of fun talking about the things we did that day and the things we planned to do the following day etc. Also the first and second person is regular price and the third and fourth person is discounted. (We always totaled the fares and split them four ways):o;) We found the Carnival ships cabins to have more room (larger) than the RCCL ones. We had plenty of room and would alternate shower times. lol

I would also recommend an outside cabin (window) as opposed to inside.

I would recommend you get pass ports, also travel insurance.

Whatever you do you will be hooked once you cruise! Have fun and be sure to come back to this thread and let us know what you did. :D

We've never had a warning or watch for anytime other than June-November so I think yes. ;)

In 2005 Hurricane Epsilon formed as a tropical storm on November 29 in the middle of the Atlantic. It reached hurricane strength on December 2 and defied forecasting by persisting for over a week before dissipating.

Four of us... all friends in our 60's went on some "girls cruises". We went on RCCL and on Carnival. We all were in the same cabin together (beds--two uppers and two lowers). This made for a lot of fun talking about the things we did that day and the things we planned to do the following day etc. Also the first and second person is regular price and the third and fourth person is discounted. (We always totaled the fares and split them four ways):o;) We found the Carnival ships cabins to have more room (larger) than the RCCL ones. We had plenty of room and would alternate shower times.

Another option is to get two connecting cabins. Connecting cabins have an inside door so you can go from one to the other without going into the hall. Connecting cabins usually have an arrow or diamond symbol between them on the deck plans. This would give you double the space -- including 2 bathrooms and twice as much closet and storage space -- but not double the price. If you get balcony cabins, on some ships the divider between the balconies can be opened. I'm not sure which ships can do this.

If you do get only one cabin, there are plenty of public restrooms, and also showers in the gym area. I think storage space would be a problem. Question for LUVCRUSIN: How did you find space in one cabin to store all of the clothes for four women?

Having cruised with Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and Princess, we are confident your group would enjoy either Royal Caribbean or Princess. Would not suggest Carnival. Check the itineraries and prices for both and pick the one that suits you best. We have a good travel agent that spends the time to look for the best deals.

We checked into the passport age & were told 16 was the cutoff for needing fathers signature. We have all those documents already because of custody issues.

We live on the coast near Daytona Beach, not worried too much about hurricanes, they are part of our lifestyle, but also don't want to be complacent either.

Something about this kept bothering me..... The assumption that because OP daughter is over 16 she has no problem. I went to the State Dept web site for passports and there is a special set of info for 16 & 17 yrs olds and YES it involves parental permission.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_4313.html

I hope the OP comes back and reads this and makes sure her daughter is not disappointed because Mom assumed something she should not have or believed a Customer Service Rep on the phone.

I may be crazy but if you are traveling with any child under 18 then it's best to check and double check...

IMHO

[quote name='nana541']Something about this kept bothering me..... The assumption that because OP daughter is over 16 she has no problem. I went to the State Dept web site for passports and there is a special set of info for 16 & 17 yrs olds and YES it involves parental permission.
[URL]http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_4313.html[/URL]

I hope the OP comes back and reads this and makes sure her daughter is not disappointed because Mom assumed something she should not have or believed a Customer Service Rep on the phone.

I may be crazy but if you are traveling with any child under 18 then it's best to check and double check...

IMHO[/quote]

A customer service rep was wrong about something. :eek: Wow, there is a surprise. :rolleyes:

Archived