Carnival Spirit "Virtual Cruise to Alaska"

LauraS

• Administrators

Climb onboard Carnival Spirit for a virtual cruise to Alaskawith regular Cruise Critic contributor Fran Golden (a veteran visitor to our 49th state) and Erin Golden (her 21-year-old daughter, and a newbie to the region). The free-spirited "Golden girls" plan to investigate all the active fare this cruise has to offer -- we'll run daily reports (save for weekends and holidays) Tuesday, May 31 through Thursday, June 9.

Carnival Spirit Virtual Cruise To Alaska

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused. The virtual trip has the Spirit ending in Vancouver June 9. I just finished a cruise on RSS Mariner where I began and ended the trip with people from the Spirit. To the best of my knowledge, they left Whittier on June 8 when we left Seward. Both ships ended up at Canada Place June 15th. This doesn't seem to fit the timeline.

The reason I'm visiting the Carnival board is to see if there is any conversation on the Spirit cruise. In talking to fellow tour members in Vancouver, the Spirit hit some ice northbound and damaged a prop. The people who got on for the southbound cruise found the ship skipping ports due to "mechanical difficulties" They didn't get to see the glaciers and bypassed Sitka. People who had excursions booked through the cruise got a refund. Those who had booked on their own were out some fairly substantial money. The cruise line did not seem very apologetic about it. The funniest conversation on the bus came when one passenger said,"But they gave us each fifty dollars for missing Sitka.", to which a more experienced cruiser replied,"Those were port fees they didn't have to pay. They didn't give you any of their own money".

I know, their gesture of $50.00 per person is a insult to my intelligence. At embarkation we were not informed of the propulsion problem. It was at 6 AM the next morning the Captain waking everyone on board told us that we will be missing the glacier viewing and Sitka. This is a trip I will not be able to take again. We saved for 2 years and to miss the the best part of the cruise is unacceptable. I hope all the passengers write letters of complaint to Carnival to try to get back some kind of compensation.

jojo269 - we do have something of a conversation going under Spirit engine troubles? posted by Bribrittmom. Not much really, however your post was alluded to under that topic. I am writing to Carnival with no expectation of compensation. I'm sure they already know many of their June 8th Spirit customers are disappointed, and if they planned any compensation they would have already offered. A waste of time and stamp, but at least I'll feel better.

• 2 weeks later...

mrs. meziggy, our dear son, and I are going on the carnival spirit 07-13-2005 and the review was very informative. this time next week we'll be boarding. i pray there's no engine trouble(or any other, for that matter) and pray for warmish temperatures. we live in south florida and have cruised the caribbean 11 times and LOVE IT! Can't stand the cold...

take care,

meziggy

"Cruising Life is Grand,

or more than a grand if you have a lousy travel agent;-)"

Song of America 11/88

Song of America 11/89

Azure Seas 02/92

Imagination 08/00

Paradise 08/01

Monarch of the Seas 07/02

The S/S Norway 02/03

Imagination 07/03