New Fee?

Classiccruiser777

Within the last decade here in the UK the so-called experts were rattling on about the warmer weather we were to expect - temperatures like those in Spain. This was after a couple of decent summers. In 2010 and 2011 we had more snow in the south east than for many years. Yes it is definitely getting warmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a great book on our local weather over the last century which shows that "freak" weather conditions happen but that does not automatically mean they will continue. What was the question - oh yes, detergent.........

Nothing like a nice healthy debate as long as it remains healthy but I did apologise for taking the bait and drifting off topic.

I am in the corner that goes with using the recommended detergent :o

I think there should be a small charge for the laundary facilites as too many people take the mick. I've been on voyages where guests do washing every single day!! No one else gets a look in. I would rather pay something like £5-£10 and know I will be able to do a machine load of washing. At the moment I take enough clothes for the whole holiday as I have better things to do than run up and down to the laundary in the hope the harpies are doing someone other than blocking up the laundry.

I think there should be a small charge for the laundary facilites as too many people take the mick. I've been on voyages where guests do washing every single day!! No one else gets a look in. I would rather pay something like £5-£10 and know I will be able to do a machine load of washing. At the moment I take enough clothes for the whole holiday as I have better things to do than run up and down to the laundary in the hope the harpies are doing someone other than blocking up the laundry.

I'm a little confused! If you take enough clothes for the trip, why do you care who is using the washing machines?

I'm a little confused! If you take enough clothes for the trip, why do you care who is using the washing machines?

I guess some of us (for fear of rolling pin to the side of the head)don't want to come home with a load of dirty laundry & say to the spouse.."Oh, what a fantastic journey we had, here could you take care of this?"

What is a harpie and dare I ask why they would be 'doing someone' :o

Are you suggesting that some folks merely go to the laundrette to 'hang out'?

We will definitely be taking advantage of these facilities so I guess I might have to learn to play the harp.

Too late to edit my post and I have looked up what harpies are and those horrible things actually steal the food from the hands of a blind man!!

I dread to think what they will do if left alone in a laundrette full of the washing belonging to other passengers :):)

Too late to edit my post and I have looked up what harpies are and those horrible things actually steal the food from the hands of a blind man!!

I dread to think what they will do if left alone in a laundrette full of the washing belonging to other passengers :):)

I'd like to know just what he's doing in there eating anyway!

I guess some of us (for fear of rolling pin to the side of the head)don't want to come home with a load of dirty laundry & say to the spouse.."Oh, what a fantastic journey we had, here could you take care of this?"

I want to know if the spouse enjoyed the trip or was left at home (LOL)!

Try reading my post properly. I take enough clothes for the trip because some other passengers take the Mick by washing their smalls etc every single day. This means that all the washing machines are in constant use. A charge (e.g.$10) for using the laundry will stop this and give everyone else a chance to use the facilities.

I have seen a woman take a pair of knickers and two socks out of a washing machine. It's that bad.

What is a harpie and dare I ask why they would be 'doing someone' :o

Are you suggesting that some folks merely go to the laundrette to 'hang out'?

We will definitely be taking advantage of these facilities so I guess I might have to learn to play the harp.

A harpie is also slang for a nasty woman and yes, they do go to the laundry to "hang out."!!

Of course I meant "somthing"!

A question about laundry soap evolves into a discussion about global warming, the environmental impact of cruising, "harpies" in the laundry and the amount of clothing one packs on a cruise! Where else can one get this sort of entertainment for free?

[laughing] Yes, it has all the makings of a soap opera :D

Suprisingly, there has been no discussion yet of how to dress when doing ones laundry, or if anyone detected a wiff of tobacco in the laundry room, or if anyone tips the steward responsible for the laundry room...:eek::D

[laughing] Yes, it has all the makings of a soap opera

Suprisingly, there has been no discussion yet of how to dress when doing ones laundry, or if anyone detected a wiff of tobacco in the laundry room, or if anyone tips the steward responsible for the laundry room...

Soap opera... Very good :D:D

This thread highlights how we can have discussions that might drift to port or starboard but it is done in a friendly manner without the need for insults :)

I look forward to seeing these folks who gather in the laundrette area just so I can see what a 'harpie' looks like :)

It looks like Cunard may have finally removed that puzzling statement "Washing tablets can be purchased on board" from the Voyage Personaliser. At least this is what I am now seeing in the Voyage Personaliser within the "Ship Facilities" section of "Life On Board" for our upcoming voyage on the QM2.

Laundry and Dry Cleaning

Take advantage of our on board laundry service for a nominal fee. All laundry is returned within 48 hours, or on the same day with our express service. We also offer dry cleaning and a complimentary self-service launderette. Irons are also available within the laundrette.

Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place or perhaps the wording is different for other voyages, but I haven't been able to find a reference to washing tablets in our Voyage Personaliser.

Regards,

John.

Archived