Transatlantic of transpacific cruises

WendyJo

We were on the TA last fall that brought the Magic from Europe to Galveston. Because we had to spend so much time for repairs in Freeport, I feel they "put the pedal to the metal" and we going faster than normal to make it back on time. I was seasick the entire time and spent a good part of the crossing days in my cabin.

We are going across the Pacific in January from LA to Hawaii (I know--I'm a glutton for punishment). My plans are to take meclizine (Bonine) the entire cruise (even before flying to LA), and to take ginger capsules. Unfortunately, our cabin is not mid-ship as recommended but it is down low, lol.

Is there any other thing I can try to avoid being ill this time?

Another question: We did buy the insurance recommended by Carnival. If I were to go to the onboard doctor for meds to help me overcome the nausea, would insurance cover any of the office visit?

Thanks!

I can only really answer the sea sickness part....I have used Mec/Bonine the last 2 cruises we took and find these to work miracles! A bit drowsy yes, but I have taken them at night and never really felt a thing. Rocky sure, but never felt the least bit ill....

I can only really answer the sea sickness part....I have used Mec/Bonine the last 2 cruises we took and find these to work miracles! A bit drowsy yes, but I have taken them at night and never really felt a thing. Rocky sure, but never felt the least bit ill....

I'm going to be more proactive this time. Last fall, I just would take Meclizine when I felt a little queasy but it was probably too late--not enough of it in my system.

Years ago, I had tried the patches behind the ear but I was severely allergic to the adhesive of something because I would have a great big swollen welt under the patch and had to take it off.

Thanks for responding!

I'm going to be more proactive this time. Last fall, I just would take Meclizine when I felt a little queasy but it was probably too late--not enough of it in my system.

Years ago, I had tried the patches behind the ear but I was severely allergic to the adhesive of something because I would have a great big swollen welt under the patch and had to take it off.

Thanks for responding!

Just saw this post-

There are a few brands of those patches- maybe another brand you wouldn't have that reaction?

We were on the TA last fall that brought the Magic from Europe to Galveston. Because we had to spend so much time for repairs in Freeport, I feel they "put the pedal to the metal" and we going faster than normal to make it back on time. I was seasick the entire time and spent a good part of the crossing days in my cabin.

We are going across the Pacific in January from LA to Hawaii (I know--I'm a glutton for punishment). My plans are to take meclizine (Bonine) the entire cruise (even before flying to LA), and to take ginger capsules. Unfortunately, our cabin is not mid-ship as recommended but it is down low, lol.

Is there any other thing I can try to avoid being ill this time?

Another question: We did buy the insurance recommended by Carnival. If I were to go to the onboard doctor for meds to help me overcome the nausea, would insurance cover any of the office visit?

Thanks!

We took the Jubilee across the Pacific. And while the seas were rougher that what we experience in the Atlantic, it really was a smooth ride, by we took 5.5 days to cross.

The air was also cooler than I expected.

The lovely Mrs. Jones takes a Meclizine EVERY DAY, regardless of the forcasted seas, or weather, and she has no problem at all. ;)

Also, on a bright note, she recently sailed "Breeze" on it's trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Miami, and the seas were like a lake. Absolutely beautiful all the way! Maybe you won't need any meds, but as mentioned above, take 'em, even if you don't think you'll need 'em! :cool:

"SKY"

Oh yes,,,you can buy meclizine, over the counter in a bottle of 100 very, very inexpensively! I think at WalMart or Walgreens they're something like $7 for 100!

We did a TA last April, ran into a storm, twenty foot plus waves, fifty plus mph winds. Many of the crew were sea sick, the cruise director almost couldn't finish her presentation. DW kept using ginger Altoids (only place we can find them around here is World Market). She swears by them, just seem to settle the stomach without meds.

Archived