Norway Midnight Sun in Late July?

rgtkkb

We are very interested in the HAL 14-night Midnight Sun cruise leaving on July 20. But it looks like we will be at ports a day or two later than the dates for the Midnight Sun. For example, we would be in Hammerfest on July 28, when the Midnight Sun dates are May 16-July27. Tromso would be July 26, while the Midnight Sun dates are May 20-July 22.

I am wondering if it is still worthwhile to go after the announced dates. Is it almost as good a few days after the official Midnight Sun dates? We can't go earlier, so I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Worthwhile for what?

If you're counting on 24 hours of sun, and 15 minutes without sun would ruin it for you (if that's what happens one day after midnight sun ends), then I guess it's not worthwhile. If that's not a problem, then what is your definition of worthwhile?

I'd like to think that HAL wouldn't call the cruise a "midnight sun" cruise, if you really were going to be that far off of getting midnight sun.

We are very interested in the HAL 14-night Midnight Sun cruise leaving on July 20. But it looks like we will be at ports a day or two later than the dates for the Midnight Sun. For example, we would be in Hammerfest on July 28, when the Midnight Sun dates are May 16-July27. Tromso would be July 26, while the Midnight Sun dates are May 20-July 22.

I am wondering if it is still worthwhile to go after the announced dates. Is it almost as good a few days after the official Midnight Sun dates? We can't go earlier, so I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

According to timeanddate.com, the sun will set for the first time after summer solstice in Hammerfest on July 30th at 11:57pm and rise again at 1:08am. On the 28th it will be up all night.

Tromso shows the sun will set at 12:41 am on the 26th and rise again 20 minutes later. Actually, I think that would be cool to see.

• 2 months later...

The Midnight sun is spectacular.

Below is a schedule for when the Midnight sun occurs:

Polarcricle: 12. june - 1. july

Bodø: 4. june - 8. july

Svolvær: 28. may - 14. july

Harstad: 25. may - 18. july

Bardufoss: 23. may - 19. july

Andenes: 22. may- 21. july

Tromsø: 20. may - 22. july

Bossekop: 19. may- 24. july

Vardø: 17. may - 26. july