Have Cunard ever refused to lift a 'heavy' suitcase?

Tobysmum

Hi all

Getting excited now about our upcoming QM2 trip in May this year (Northern Highlights round UK), and we are trying to sort out luggage. We're flying from Sydney to UK, then land based for 5 days before boarding QM2, and finishing with Euro rail to Paris before flying home to Australia. We're confident that with our frequent flyer status, our suitcases can weigh around 23-25kg (max), but I have read that although Cunard will allow us any number of pieces of luggage, they must not exceed 21kg (I think).

How strict are they, and does anyone know if this has ever been enforced, and if so how? I'm envisaging decanting luggage into supermarket bags on the dockside!

I'm not sure how to approach the situation given that I've got to allow for a month away from home, with formal and semi-formal wear on the ship, as well as catering for just plain 'touring'.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Hi all

Getting excited now about our upcoming QM2 trip in May this year (Northern Highlights round UK), and we are trying to sort out luggage. We're flying from Sydney to UK, then land based for 5 days before boarding QM2, and finishing with Euro rail to Paris before flying home to Australia. We're confident that with our frequent flyer status, our suitcases can weigh around 23-25kg (max), but I have read that although Cunard will allow us any number of pieces of luggage, they must not exceed 21kg (I think).

How strict are they, and does anyone know if this has ever been enforced, and if so how? I'm envisaging decanting luggage into supermarket bags on the dockside!

I'm not sure how to approach the situation given that I've got to allow for a month away from home, with formal and semi-formal wear on the ship, as well as catering for just plain 'touring'.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

If your bags are acceptable to the Airline, you will have no problem at Southampton. Leave the plastic bags at home :)

If you can carry the luggage then hopefully the stewards might be able to cope. I have images of some poor steward trying to struggle with a 30kg case and the flimsy handles breaking!!

Just me thinking aloud but if one case is excessively heavy, might it be a consideration to have two lighter cases?

...Then again, only one or two other lines still exist that have a history of passengers coming aboard with Steamer Trunks that weighed 30# empty.

I'd venture a guess that the rule is in place to dissuade someone from the wonderfully clever idea of bringing the Dowager Duchess' antique Louis Vuittons down from the attic for the occassion of an upcoming QM2 crossing rather than to concern one as to whether their packed rolling bag weighs 45 or 48 #.

Thanks for asking this question. The answers give some relief for us next time. Last time, our first Cunard cruise, I spent many frustrating and stressful minutes, when finishing packing, moving things around between the 4 cases to get them all under 20Kg!! I was too scared of getting called back because one weighed too much.

Packing onboard to come home we didn't have the scales with us(to save weight;)) so I don't know what they weighed to get off the ship and it appears they don't care then either.

It does seem a bit silly when most airlines allow bags to be slightly heavier.

Have to say I realise why restrictions are there it is just what appears to be a low weight for lifting on Cunard that puzzled me.

It does seem a bit silly when most airlines allow bags to be slightly heavier.

Have to say I realise why restrictions are there it is just what appears to be a low weight for lifting on Cunard that puzzled me.

Having now bought a new suitcase (the largest I could find!) to replace a very old (heavy) one, I am going to approach the situation with confidence. Realising that there will be situations during our month's holiday that require me to lift my own suitcase (horrors!) then if I can manage it, others should be able to!

And as others have pointed out, the airlines pretty much set the standard. If all else fails - I'll unpack on the dockside and wear all my clothes up the gangway!:p

Having now bought a new suitcase (the largest I could find!) to replace a very old (heavy) one, I am going to approach the situation with confidence. Realising that there will be situations during our month's holiday that require me to lift my own suitcase (horrors!) then if I can manage it, others should be able to!

And as others have pointed out, the airlines pretty much set the standard. If all else fails - I'll unpack on the dockside and wear all my clothes up the gangway!:p

:D That's the spirit...you go girl! Have a wonderful voyage...and if you need to wear all your clothes going up the gangway, please pose for a photo :)

Cheers, S.

Well done and good for you ;)

It saya in faqs on the Cunard website that if an item of baggage is over 20kg at embarkation the passenger may be asked to repack and reduce the weight..

Well, in that case, all those boarding are in for a visual feast - the only question remaining .... should the hot pink ball gown be worn over or under the ensemble?:rolleyes:

Well, in that case, all those boarding are in for a visual feast - the only question remaining .... should the hot pink ball gown be worn over or under the ensemble?:rolleyes:

I would suggest that it be worn beneath your waterproofs otherwise it may be a touch ostentatious for boarding!:)

I would suggest that it be worn beneath your waterproofs otherwise it may be a touch ostentatious for boarding!:)

OK, underneath it is. Now, what to do about the jewellery ...... I may have to get more ear piercings to accommodate multiple pairs or earrings!:p

OK, underneath it is. Now, what to do about the jewellery ...... I may have to get more ear piercings to accommodate multiple pairs or earrings!:p

Well, Tobysmum, there's also nose piercing, lip piercing and, er, other piercings:eek: Of course, the danger with multiple piercings is that you might set off the metal detectors, and thus be required to remove all those multiple layers of ballgowns and assorted ensambles prior to boarding. :eek::D Cheers, -S.

Over - Mustn't crease the taffeta...

:D

;)Got it, but...

No problem! I fold my taffeta gowns into a tiny ball in my suitcase, and amazingly, the laundry/dry cleaning staff does a very good job at restoration; prompt and very nicely done. I've been on other ships where I learned NOT to send any garment I cared about for cleaning or pressing! I hope Cunard does not alter the procedure for dry cleaning...it is really top notch.

Kudos to the hard working professionals who do such nice work.The Hotel and dining charge helps to convey my appreciation I hope.

Archived