Maritime Matters QE2 London

Highlander0108

Martin Cox reporting and confirming news that there is an actual viable plan in place for QE2 to return to the UK, permanently moored in London. Looks like Cunard executives might be the only ones preventing this from happening:

http://maritimematters.com/2013/01/qe2-in-london-2013/

I say QE2 fans need to voice their concerns to Mr. Shanks and let him know how wonderful this would be. IMO, having Cunard approve of this and perhaps lending some financial backing would go along way in healing the wounds in how the ship was ever let go to the middle east and not preserved where she belongs in the UK. More discussion here:

http://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,4749.0.html

Thank you highlander for connecting the forums together, I too hope this will gain momentum now. So after staying on QM in LA and now in the near future on QE2 in London. Now that would be a great reminder to the one and only voyage we did on the great lady.

Thank you highlander for connecting the forums together, I too hope this will gain momentum now. So after staying on QM in LA and now in the near future on QE2 in London. Now that would be a great reminder to the one and only voyage we did on the great lady.

I absolutely would stay on the QE2 if it was located in London. I imagine it would be extremely popular to begin with.

Who was it who said it could not be sited in London because it would not pass under the bridges?

David.

I did (as did Cap'n P) but that was because the OP suggested parking it "near the Houses of Parliament" or something like that. This proposal is to park it next to the O2 Arena and bridges wouldn't be an issue.

J

I did (as did Cap'n P) but that was because the OP suggested parking it "near the Houses of Parliament" or something like that. This proposal is to park it next to the O2 Arena and bridges wouldn't be an issue.

J

It's a much better location anyway.

David.

I hate to be a kill-joy but to me all that story lacks is a beginning that starts with 'Once upon a time...'

Does anyone seriously believe this will ever happen?

The maintenance costs will be horrific and ongoing, they will certainly make a huge and very significant impression on the running costs of this ship.

What about the effects of having this ship sat on the mud bank. There is quite a fast tidal flow and what effects will this have in the area around this large ship.

How will the sanitation system work? I have no idea and this is NOT a criticism, I am curious. A few folks might enjoy the ship like atmosphere but a hotel will be in the heart of a city, it will have all the latest state of the art gadetry, jacuzzis in bathrooms and to try to drag the QE2 into the 21st century will cost an absolute mind blowing fortune and the ship will have to be located wherever there is a berth that might not be is such a nice location as the shore based equivalent.

How many luxurious rooms do we think will be available and what price will they demand as again, they have to be competitive and I simply cannot see that happening. The fees for these rooms will have to be competititive but still be priced to compete with the shore located hotels.

The maintenance costs will have to be absorbed into pricing figures and the costs of a stone frigate will be far, far cheaper than the steel equivalent!! We usually see deck crew regularly out on the upper decks rubbing down woodwork, revarnishing, chipping away at rust etc etc. All this costs money and sadly I cannot see it happening BUT.... I would love to be proved wrong.

I will don my steel helmet and face the expected incoming broadside :)

...I will don my steel helmet and face the expected incoming broadside :)

I totally agree with you. I simply cannot understand this obsession with converting her into a hotel. If they want a hotel why don't they build a damn hotel? QE2 sans engines and sitting motionless on a mud bank will be nothing more than a large expensive hulk. I can think of no more undignified end for a fine ship. Even worse, if they actually want anyone to stay in their hotel they will have to provide rooms that meet modern requirements, both in terms of fire safety and acceptability to the paying public, and that will mean, in essence, that they will have to rip out almost all of the ship's interior. And let's face it, by comparison with modern cruise ships/hotels even her public spaces were not that spectacular, so I expect most of those will be "converted" too. I, for one, would certainly never set foot on her were this conversion to happen.

I wonder if this recent story about her going to be scrapped was actually initiated by the group behind the London bid - possibly to force the hand of potential financial backers.

J

Archived