Fishing or kayaking in Seward or Ketchikan?

JustThinking23

My original plan was to take my kids fishing in Ketchikan. They definitely want to catch Salmon and maybe Halibut.

We will be there in mid August.

Now, I am wondering about doing the fishing trip from Seward, prior to the cruise.

Perhaps what would be the thing that switches is Kayaking.

We will be freezing and shipping fish home for when we we return. (any tips on how to not spend a fortune on this???)

I was thinking that some of the places in Seward that we may book to stay at have kitchens, so we could cook some of the fish fresh there.

Any recommendations for fishing at the two places?

Thanks!

My original plan was to take my kids fishing in Ketchikan. They definitely want to catch Salmon and maybe Halibut.

We will be there in mid August.

Now, I am wondering about doing the fishing trip from Seward, prior to the cruise.

Perhaps what would be the thing that switches is Kayaking.

We will be freezing and shipping fish home for when we we return. (any tips on how to not spend a fortune on this???)

I was thinking that some of the places in Seward that we may book to stay at have kitchens, so we could cook some of the fish fresh there.

Any recommendations for fishing at the two places?

Thanks!

JT23,

We kayaked Aialik Bay in Kenai Fjords out of Seward, and it was one of the best things we ever did. I can't speak to the kayaking right in Resurrection Bay near Seward itself, but I know there are a number a very good companies that operate kayaking out of Seward, including the one we used, Liquid Adventures.

While I hoped to fish out of Seward this past July, it didn't work in terms of scheduling so we fished the Upper Kenai in a drift boat for Dolly Varden and Rainbows. The Sockeyes were just starting to show in the first week of July, so I would think that there would be a couple of different salmon options by mid August.

A shot on the Kenai:

P7130135.jpg

In Ketchikan, we did a 4 hour trip for salmon. Oddly enough, we couldn't hook up for the first two hours. Our guide was getting a little stressed. Then - 21 Pinks and 1 Nice Coho/Silver in just under two hours! We had several doubles and at least one triple. While we haven't kayaked Ketchikan yet, I know that at least one of the tours there takes you from the harbor up into the river that runs through Creek Street, and you can see that area from a unique persepctive.

Some of our salmon:

My Dad

IMG_1294.jpg

My wife

IMG_1291.jpg

My first Pink!

IMG_1287.jpg

One of our fishing buddies...

2012Alaska-3168.jpg

A shot of one of the groups kayaking Creek Street. If you look closely in the lower right corner, you'll see a Harbor Seal checking out the invaders...

untitled-2965.jpg

I don't know if you're going to Icy Straight Point on your trip, but we went halibut fishing there for the second time last tip - 3 people, 2 hours, 45 minutes, 56 halibut...

I hope you find some of this info useful. From our experience I've found the cost of shipping fish home can vary greatly from port to port, so that may affect your plans as well, depending on how much you want to send home. I think it ran us about $70 to shop 20#s of halibut home form ISP. On the other hand, in one of the other ports, it was a $75 minimum, so if you only shipped a few pounds home, the cost is pretty high. The more you catch and ship, the lower the price per pound...but the cost still goes up!

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please let me know.

L.J.

LJ,

Thanks for your response. Your trip report was what made me think of trying to go Halibut fishing was well. Salmon is my kids favorite fish to eat, but they also liked Halibut the last time we served it.

I LOVED you "fishing buddy" picture. Are you sure you didn't get that from a professional? ;) He seemed so serious about fishing!

I'm still going back and forth. Now I'm wondering is doing both the Major Marine 6 or 7.5 hour tour, and all day fishing charter might be too much time on a small boat in my 3 day stay in Seward. I need to figure this out.

I had been looking at the tripadvisor reviews of the Ketichan kayaking. A number of folks thought the kayak around the downtown area was either boring or dangerous with the boats and seaplanes. There is another trip that is from a bit further out of town as well.

Thanks again. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report!

LJ,

Thanks for your response. Your trip report was what made me think of trying to go Halibut fishing was well. Salmon is my kids favorite fish to eat, but they also liked Halibut the last time we served it.

I LOVED you "fishing buddy" picture. Are you sure you didn't get that from a professional? He seemed so serious about fishing!

I'm still going back and forth. Now I'm wondering is doing both the Major Marine 6 or 7.5 hour tour, and all day fishing charter might be too much time on a small boat in my 3 day stay in Seward. I need to figure this out.

I had been looking at the tripadvisor reviews of the Ketichan kayaking. A number of folks thought the kayak around the downtown area was either boring or dangerous with the boats and seaplanes. There is another trip that is from a bit further out of town as well.

Thanks again. Looking forward to the rest of your trip report!

JT,

I'm glad you're enjoying my report! It's fun reliving the trip:). My understanding is that there are residential salmon populations in Ressurection Bay/Seward due to all the forage, so you may be able to do a 4 or 6 hour salmon trip there. Ketchikan, is of course, a great option. Speaking of Ketchikan and my fishing buddy, we had one earlier on that trip that I wasn't really ready to shoot, and then that guy, when I WAS ready. I'll have the sequence of shots in the Ketchikan part of the review - which is coming up soon!

As for the kayaking out of Seward, since you have three days you might want to consider the type of trip we did our first visit to Seward. We traveled via water taxi out near the end of Aialik Bay in Kenai Fjords NP, and then kayaked through the bergy bits and ice bergs up to a beach near Aialik Glaicer, where we hauled out and had lunch on high ground while watching the glacier cavle. One of the most memorable experiences ever! Here are a couple of shots of that trip...

Approaching the drop off - Aialik Glacier in the distance

IMG_4212.jpg

Our guide and the other couple in our group

IMG_4253-e.jpg

Bergy bits

2009Alaska-3.jpg

My wife (and our guide) - leading us through the ice floes!

2009Alaska-5.jpg

The view at lunch...(doesn't do it justice)

AialikGlacierPanorama1.jpg

As for the Major Marine question, we were supposed to be in the 7.5 hour tour this past summer that ended up cancelled due to 20+ foot seas. I elected to go with that one over the 6 becuase you get to see both Aialik & Holgate (not just one), plus the advice of numerous folks here on CC.

I'm not sure if your kids would be interested, but the Sea Life Center in Seward was a great way to spend 2-4 hours, and Exit Glacier is a popular destination (and on our to do list next time we visit Seward!)

Good luck!

L.J.

• 1 month later...

It is not likely for any halibut out of Ketchikan- it is more likely out of Seward, There is no way around the shipping processing costs, unless you are on a northbound cruise. I would not consider any bay kayaking out of Seward just not worth giving up other superior Seward activities.

And no,, multiple boat tours are excellent, I always go out repeatively, and if I have more time, I double back for Kenai Fjords boat trips to add another. Vendors may also give "repeater" discounts, which I have gotten. There have been a couple years where I've gone out three times, using all the coupon discounts, with the two books I purchase.

I have boated Aialik at least 20 times, seeing kayakers. It would be a superb trip. I would suggest you take a family vote, perhaps if you don't have 3 full days for touring, or, readjust your itinerary. With your Seward, uncertainity, I would not go any further with plans, until you figure out what you will be doing and your plans are fixed.

We went Kayaking in Ketchikan with Southeast Sea Kayaks out to Ora's cove. It was amazing! We saw a bear, lots of eagles (and a big nest), a few harbor seals, and lots of cool sea critters...starfish, spitting muscles, and some sort of weasel looking creature darting in and out of the rocks. At the end, we got to eat some smoked salmon served with cream cheese on crackers.

SSK picked us up in Ketchikan and drove us by boat over to Orca's cove. There waited a boat with the kayaks.

I don't know if you have ever been sea kayaking, but it was our first time and we felt like we were spending too much time fighting the kayak and not enough time enjoying the experience. Other than that, I loved being out on the water like that. At first, I was worried that it would be too unstable to take photos, but in the end, I got some great shots!

The staff at SSK was great! I would book them again in a heartbeat if I were to go sea kayaking next time Im in Ketchikan.

We went Kayaking in Ketchikan with Southeast Sea Kayaks out to Ora's cove. , lots of eagles (and a big nest), and lots of cool sea critters...starfish, spitting muscles,

For a compromise, it is easy to see lots of eagles and nests all over the inside passage. Just keep looking up, and have those wide angle binoculars always with you. :)

There is a whole array of easy viewing of the above mentiones sea life, if you make the effort to know when low tide is and have the ability to walk along the marina, get under docks for a graphic look at what hangs on those supports. :) Starfish are plentiful to see in vivid colors.

What about catch and release? I think hubby would enjoy a fishing day but I have no desire to ship the things home. Or maybe we could donate to a local food bank?

The processing of fish and shipping it home is an extra add on, that you can choose not to do.

Your guide can pre arrange to have plans for your fish, if you decide not to have it shipped home.

Sometimes fish are not in a condition to be released [if you know what I mean]....so it is good to have a plan.

Archived