Airline Ticket cancelation insurance

Lydia B.

Good afternoon,

Have my Breeze cruise in 40+ days, but am looking into a European cruise in 2014.

My final payment wouldn't be due until 75 days out (NCL) and if I cancelled say this time next year would get my deposit back from NCL.

I am covered for travel insurance, but have another question about a simple non-refundable airline tick. Can you purchase some sort of insurance that would only cover the cost of reimbusement of a airline ticket if you simply change your mind?

I swear I remember seeing something in Expedia when I purchased a ticket back some time...but dang if I can find anything now.

Again just want some sort of "change my mind" want my airline ticket money back, insurance. Nothing about missed connections or delays or baggage, etc.

Thanks for your assistance, Lydia of Ohio

Good afternoon,

Have my Breeze cruise in 40+ days, but am looking into a European cruise in 2014.

My final payment wouldn't be due until 75 days out (NCL) and if I cancelled say this time next year would get my deposit back from NCL.

I am covered for travel insurance, but have another question about a simple non-refundable airline tick. Can you purchase some sort of insurance that would only cover the cost of reimbusement of a airline ticket if you simply change your mind?

I swear I remember seeing something in Expedia when I purchased a ticket back some time...but dang if I can find anything now.

Again just want some sort of "change my mind" want my airline ticket money back, insurance. Nothing about missed connections or delays or baggage, etc.

Thanks for your assistance, Lydia of Ohio

Sure, purchase the more expensive fully refundable ticket rather than the cheaper airline ticket that is loaded with restrictions.

You can purchase cancel for any reason insurance. However, it is expensive and will only refund 25% of the cost of the ticket.

Depending on the insurer, cancel for any reason plans reimburse anywhere from 50% to 90% of the ticket cost. I have never seen one that pays as low as 25%.

To the OP: To be eligible for any of the third-party insurers' cancel for any reason plans you have to insure the full non-refundable cost of the trip, not just the ticket cost. So if you only insure the cost of the air ticket and do not also insure the cost of the cruise you probably will not have the cancel for any reason benefit.

OP - if you purchase a nonrefundable ticket from most airlines, you can "change your mind" without losing all your money. For an international ticket, usually there is a $250 fee to get a voucher for your ticket balance. Some airlines will deduct the $250 from your ticket balance, and some will make you pay before using the funds.

Most times, you'd have to use the funds within one year of the original ticketing date, and for the original passenger.

Depending on the insurer, cancel for any reason plans reimburse anywhere from 50% to 90% of the ticket cost. I have never seen one that pays as low as 25%.

To the OP: To be eligible for any of the third-party insurers' cancel for any reason plans you have to insure the full non-refundable cost of the trip, not just the ticket cost. So if you only insure the cost of the air ticket and do not also insure the cost of the cruise you probably will not have the cancel for any reason benefit.

Oops! :o I meant 75%. You lose 25% (I got to remember to proof read).

Archived