Your thoughts about New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji

S&B

We are wanting to take a cruise to Australia/NZ next year and thinking about a B2B also going to New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji. I would like to hear some thoughts that you have about these islands. We like scenery and small villages. We enjoy meeting the people. We are not into snorkeling very much and would limit it to once or twice. We have been to Tahiti and loved it!! Will the scenery be similar? Tahiti was breathtaking!!

Please tell me of your experiences. Thanks so much.

Firstly, S&B, which ship are you considering? I know that the majority of people automatically veer towards the big ships but these small islands are not suited to the bigger ships. And by 'big' I mean more than 500 passengers - that sort of size and you will be limited where you can go and those scenic places and small villages will be hard to find, unless you arrive in a convoy of buses. So look at ships like the Australian-owned Orion and Coral Princess - they have the ideal Melanesian cruises on luxury ships with about 100 passengers.

As far as scenery is concerned, nothing really compares to French Polynesia's volcanic islands and atolls. However, Fiji is fairly dramatic. The scenery in the Solomons and Vanuatu is gentler but amazingly beautiful and that's where you get a heavy dose of traditional culture. As for the Isle of Pines in New Caledonia - well, I think that's the ultimate tropical island, still relatively unspoilt (unlike Bora Bora) with the best beaches I have ever seen.

PS: Silversea's Silver Explorer has an incredible South Seas tour in 2014, all the way across from Palau to Easter Island. I'll be on one of those legs.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived