Service with beverage package on Eclipse

TorontoSailor

I have read on this board that some of the staff are less than thrilled with beverage packages, because they cut down on their sales/tips, and that some of them gave noticeably poorer service to people with beverage packages.

Does anyone have any experience with these packages on the Celebrity Eclipse. I am going on a cruise in February and have purchased a deluxe beverage package. I do not, however, want to be treated differently (or even poorly) just to save a few bucks.

What are your experiences with a beverage package on Eclipse? Is there a way to give a small extra gratuity on top of your free drink to keep the staff happier--or is that unnecessary?

Thanks for sharing your stories.

We had the premium package on our last Celebrity cruise in October 2012, and found that the service both in the bars and restaurant excellent

If anything, I think it was even better (if that's possible) than our cruise in May 2012,lol

Don't worry, the bar staff and sommelier in the restaurant get to know you, and what you like. You'll have a ball :-)

Louise

Haven't sailed on Eclipse, but I have sailed Celebrity with and without a package. I was very surprised to find the service was far better with the package than without. This could have just been a coincidence.

We struggled to get the sommelier's attention in the MDR without the package, whereas with the package, our wine glasses were never empty.

As far as I know, the bar tenders get the 15% tip with every drink they put through the till on the package (which you have already prepaid), so they like you to keep drinking. They do appreciate an extra tip now and again. I'm sure you won't be disappointed TorontoSailor. Have a great cruise :)

I had the Premium Alcohol Package on the Eclipse....and the service in every bar and restaurant was excellent...this did not vary whether it was my first time at the bar, or with that bartender....or whether he/she knew me, and therefore already knew I had the package...(well, except at the Molecular Bar...where once the bartender and I knew each other quite well, my favorite drink was being made as soon as he saw me approaching !!:D).

But honestly, I have never received poor service onboard Celebrity at any bar...whether I had the package or not.

Enjoy !

Woody

I have read on this board that some of the staff are less than thrilled with beverage packages, because they cut down on their sales/tips, and that some of them gave noticeably poorer service to people with beverage packages.

Does anyone have any experience with these packages on the Celebrity Eclipse. I am going on a cruise in February and have purchased a deluxe beverage package. I do not, however, want to be treated differently (or even poorly) just to save a few bucks.

What are your experiences with a beverage package on Eclipse? Is there a way to give a small extra gratuity on top of your free drink to keep the staff happier--or is that unnecessary?

Thanks for sharing your stories.

They will treat you well! If you want to tip extra, just hand them a $1 or a $5 or whatever you like, when the spirit moves you! They will be very appreciative, but I have never had a bar waiter or wine steward ignore me because I have a drink package. Enjoy! :D What makes the packages so great is that you never have to sign a receipt.

I can't speak directly about Eclipse but we have had mixed experiences with service using beverage packages on other ships. So much depends on the individual waiters serving you.

On Silhouette in September 2011 and on Solstice last year there was no problem whereas on Connie in 2010 we were pretty much ignored at times. In my view this is absolutely tip-related; the waiters know and realise that you are unlikely to ask for something outside of your package so they will make less money, even though they will receive their tip for the soda package.

In our experience the service with a package is better on Celebrity than it is on Royal Caribbean; the difference in service once they realised we had a soda package was palpable.

I have not had any issues on my 2 cruises so far with the bar package. Only one bartender was rude, but he was rude to everyone and not a reflection on my package. I usually tip with cash during the cruise at my hotspots to reward the bartenders who take care of me.

Bill

I had the Premium Alcohol and my wife had the non-alcohol package on the Eclipse in Dec 2012...we both got excellent service everywhere we went. Admittedly, we gave the waiters/bartenders $1-2 for most rounds, so I'm not sure how much that impacted service, but our glasses were never empty. When we sat down at the Martini Bar, the majority of servers came over and asked if we wanted our usual. The same was true in Cafe Al Bacio--the only question as we walked in was "for here or to go". After that double cappuccinos appeared with a chocolate croissant. In the MDR, after the first night the Sommelier knew I had the package and would always recommend a wine based on my dinner order that fit in the package. He was refilling my glass as frequently as those who bought bottles. We will definitely buy the package again on our next cruise

Enjoy your cruise. The Eclipse is a great ship!

Gerry and Lisa

I've often wondered how tips were calculated for staff when the cruiser has a package. When we got our bill at the end of the cruise - it was PAGES long! We often found that there were more drinks on the bill than what we actually drank - we always went to dinner with a full glass of wine from CellarMasters, so rarely had more than one glass of wine ordered at dinner, but had at least two or three glasses "charged" (aka listed but at a zero price) on our bill. The MDR was not the only bar this occurred at. I didn't care at all as it cost me nothing, I still got good service, and I figured it was helping the staff. Did anyone else experience this?

I've often wondered how tips were calculated for staff when the cruiser has a package. When we got our bill at the end of the cruise - it was PAGES long! We often found that there were more drinks on the bill than what we actually drank - we always went to dinner with a full glass of wine from CellarMasters, so rarely had more than one glass of wine ordered at dinner, but had at least two or three glasses "charged" (aka listed but at a zero price) on our bill. The MDR was not the only bar this occurred at. I didn't care at all as it cost me nothing, I still got good service, and I figured it was helping the staff. Did anyone else experience this?

Yes, we had far more drinks on the printout than we actually had when we had the premium alcohol package. According to the bill we had something like 7 drinks each within the first few hours of boarding. We definitely hadn't. This didn't happen with the non alcohol package.

Archived