Room service tips on European cruise

I'm just putting together my packing list for our cruise out of Rome and when I got to the dollars for room service tips I started wondering.

Now I'm sure that any currency would be accepted for tips but does anyone have any insight on what would be preferred?

Euros will definitely be easy to get since we'll be in Italy for a week or so before the cruise, and we're visiting friends in NY next month so we can stock pile a bunch of American singles if that would be better.

I would use Euros - unless your cruise is right at the end of the season in Europe. The crew members will be leaving the ship in port to pick up provisions, use the internet etc and will be able to spend Euros much easier than dollars. If you were American/or not staying in Europe beforehand then dollars would be fine but since you have to change into another currency anyway, it may as well be the currency they'll be using during their time in Europe.

Many staff do most of their shopping on board. On board staff shops use US dollars. If they have Euros they will loose a small amount on conversions.

But they will love either.

I don't believe they have crew shops onboard, certainly not with any great stock - obviously someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, they must be expensive (or the stock is quite limited) or you've never seen the crew coming back with armfuls of snacks/toiletries and provisions as we have in many European ports ;) We've seen shops in Genoa, Civitavecchia, Barcelona (to name a few) which cater specifically for crew members.

Having said that I'm sure they will appreciate dollars too :)

I don't believe they have crew shops onboard, certainly not with any great stock - obviously someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, they must be expensive (or the stock is quite limited) or you've never seen the crew coming back with armfuls of snacks/toiletries and provisions as we have in many European ports ;) We've seen shops in Genoa, Civitavecchia, Barcelona (to name a few) which cater specifically for crew members.

Having said that I'm sure they will appreciate dollars too :)

There are (or is) crew shops on board.

Archived