Lets try to sort out the (complicated) ai drinks issues

But surely if you are on AI you wouldn't buy drink off the ship, when it is free on the ship :confused:

I was AI last week and bought a bottle in Egypt for my cabin. I also had a bar bill of around £60 for drinks which carried a supplement. I drink what I want when I want. If there's a little extra to pay, then so be it.

I was AI last week and bought a bottle in Egypt for my cabin. I also had a bar bill of around £60 for drinks which carried a supplement. I drink what I want when I want. If there's a little extra to pay, then so be it.

Did you pay £200pppw for the AI? I wouldn't have a problem ordering a few supplement drinks either if I got AI free or cheap but at £200 I would guess most people myself included would object to paying out any more and are instead stuck with the restrictions on the drinks menu :(

I see Costa do an All Inclusive package, which is supposed to be really good, for only 19.5 Euros per person per day, so 273 Euros total for 2 for 7 days.

Kids package is 10 euros per day, or 70 euros for the week.

And I bet thats a flat rate for anyone that wishes to purchase, just as Thomson should be in what has already been described as a competitive market.

That's an idea then as an early booking incentive varying amounts of on-board spend could be offered - £200 p.p./week (equivalent to full price AI) to start with dropping to £100 p.p/week etc. and then disappearing nearer to departure as cruise prices drop (or not as the case may be!) Then you can spend it on what you want - premium, cans, coffees, excursions whatever.

Actually thats quite a brilliant idea :) Surely Thomsons should be trying to get as many people to book early as possible. ( As long as they dont just add the £200pp onto the price .....) :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You guessed it, as it is advertised on their website with it's own page.

http://www.costacruises.co.uk/gb/all-inclusive-cruise.html

Costa drinks package/all inc is so simple and straightforward and so much better if you have children too ! You know exactly where you stand with this sort of pricing. The smoke & mirrors version Thomson uses is really a pain. First its free ( cruise a bit dearer????) , then its charged at (.. anyones guess .. £49pp , 79pp, etc etc up to god knows what and basicly the cruise price goes up and down at such a rate as well you dont know if you are coming or going.

I asked on here quite a while ago for advice on best time to book to get best deal, even though as an ex travel agent i should know but it really is Russian Roulette.

Every other cruise company seems to have some sort of pricing structure thats laid out at the beginning of each season so you know where you are to some extent but i think Thomsons pricing is very difficult to get your head round just like their all inclusive rules! :mad:

Yes it would appear on the face of it that Costas deal of £16-80p per day for AI is good but that cheapness could be down to a limited drinks menu(less choice than Thomsons)and/or poor drinks choice eg non branded spirits

An aside.Have Thomsons stopped responding to posts?Was it for a limited period?

Looks like it Jim - they haven't had the decency to reply to my questions about the Airline change from Glasgow in June.

Did you pay £200pppw for the AI? I wouldn't have a problem ordering a few supplement drinks either if I got AI free or cheap but at £200 I would guess most people myself included would object to paying out any more and are instead stuck with the restrictions on the drinks menu :(

I got it for £69. I wouldn't pay any more than £100 for 1 week AI.

Many people look at the drinks menu and work out what they'll drink, then decide if it's worth it. Try working it out the other way, and you'll see just how much these companies make from AI. eg If you get on the ship having paid £200 for AI, and I say to you when you embark "Here's 4 bottles of Whisky for your holiday", do you think you'd get through them with 21 nips in a bottle? These 4 bottles could cost as little as £6 per bottle, so I've taken your £200 and spent £24 for your drinks for the week. Add in a few soft drinks and coffees here and there, and bar staff wages (which are a pittance) and it's not too difficult to know why many companies are changing to AI.

Don't forget, they also have your money in their bank account for anything up to 1 year before you sail. They make interest on your money!

Now this may sound like nothing, but with up to 4,000 people on some of these ships, or even the 2,000 on the Celebration, it's a fair amount of interest on top of the already inflated profits they make on AI.

Yes it would appear on the face of it that Costas deal of £16-80p per day for AI is good but that cheapness could be down to a limited drinks menu(less choice than Thomsons)and/or poor drinks choice eg non branded spirits

Think Thomson's didn't like the questions, so just slipped away.

Here's the list, looks quite comprehensive (and branded spirits like Jim Bean, Gordons and Smirnoff).

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=242937&d=1345640369

Here's the list, looks quite comprehensive (and branded spirits like Jim Bean, Gordons and Smirnoff).

Smirnoff is one of the worst Vodkas on the market.

Gordons also comes a poor 2nd to Tanqueray and Bombay Saphire.

Thomsons would be happy if everyone drank these.:p

Smirnoff is one of the worst Vodkas on the market.

Gordons also comes a poor 2nd to Tanqueray and Bombay Saphire.

Thomsons would be happy if everyone drank these.:p

Either way, they are still branded spirts, and the list is avaialble at a set cost across all ships, no matter who you are, where you fly from, when you book,w hich ship you are on, where you are cruising, a simple this is is, take it or leave it, but no guesswork required.

That list and deal doesn't half put Thomson to shame!! Well Done Costa....

the booler - agree totally with what you say about the AI, well aware of the profit margins and the big pot Thomson are left with. However a cheap deal is only available if you want to go on a cruise/ship/itinerary that has an offer on. Thats the problem, its not available on all cruises. I would still pay £200 if I were getting a decent product with quality drinks and no stupidity over vodka and orange for instance and yes I would expect cans of soft drink to consume where ever I like including onshore. I also think the onboard credit is an excellent idea for booking incentive so long as it too is shared out across all the cruises.

Just thinking if you can't get another drink until your glass is empty what are you meant to do if you order a cocktail and discover you really don't like it?? No pudding until you have finished your main course??? It'll be like being a child again!!! Or, suppose you could just water the artifical plants with it :eek:

Think we are missing the point here, this is about a cruise and enjoying a holiday visiting great port locations, the drink is secondary, your on board ship late afternoon and into the evening, your ashore the rest of the time.

having an AI wether it was a given because you booked early or at a cost because you booked later expecting a bargin, its a choice thing. you either have it and use it, or you dont and have a bill at the end.

what brands are onboard is a bit of a curveball, the ship can only stock so much. so it has local budget and a few brands we all know,

I love Oban and Jura scotch, i know that will not be on board, will this spoil my holiday,,, NO! NOT AT ALL.

IM ON HOLIDAY TO ENJOY MYSELF and letting whats on or not on an AI package get to me is one thing i will not be doing...

Think we are missing the point here, this is about a cruise and enjoying a holiday visiting great port locations, the drink is secondary, your on board ship late afternoon and into the evening, your ashore the rest of the time.

having an AI wether it was a given because you booked early or at a cost because you booked later expecting a bargin, its a choice thing. you either have it and use it, or you dont and have a bill at the end.

what brands are onboard is a bit of a curveball, the ship can only stock so much. so it has local budget and a few brands we all know,

I love Oban and Jura scotch, i know that will not be on board, will this spoil my holiday,,, NO! NOT AT ALL.

IM ON HOLIDAY TO ENJOY MYSELF and letting whats on or not on an AI package get to me is one thing i will not be doing...

Yep, and that's my views on it as well. I work too hard for my holidays to be bothered about drinks brands and how much they cost. Saying that, I disagree with the 15% VAT added to all drinks on cruises leaving Spanish ports. But that's another story.

Looks like it Jim - they haven't had the decency to reply to my questions about the Airline change from Glasgow in June.

Hi John,hows it going?

When you posted that question I emailed them on the address they gave to see if our Airline had been change and got an answer virtually instantly to see if

Thanks for that sodafountain

Quite impressive,but International draught beer,a bit vague and poor selection of whisky ;) :D

Just thinking if you can't get another drink until your glass is empty what are you meant to do if you order a cocktail and discover you really don't like it??

:confused: When did that come into play?Never had a problem ordering another drink whilst still having one.

Thats just not the case for everyone and I dont just mean the drink

Agree Jim :) but if you read what it says All Inclusive beverages*: includes a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks by the glass (draught beer and wine) and coffee, what exactly does selection mean? I don't see any mention of spirits or cocktails.

Me, I'd rather have a nice cup of tea :) and it's free :D

You are sooo right. I go on cruises to see something of the world, not spend all day drinking to get my money's worth :rolleyes:

Incidentally, judging by the amount of food some people put on their plates, I think they too are trying to justify the cost of the cruise :D:D:D

To be fair I think everyone entering into discussion on this thread aimed purely at chat about the drinks package would agree with you. I doubt anyone would book a cruise because of AI.

On the choice thing - there isn't much of a choice if there are no deals on offer for your cruise and thats nothing to do with booking late. For some cruises there are no offers at all. It is this randomness that makes the AI package an unfair deal. A choice of £200pppw on a restricted list or payg when others are enjoying sometimes free drinks and can then justify slashing out on supplemented drinks without thought. No, a drinks package won't make a holiday but it could make your holiday even better if there were standard and simple choices for all. And, I've already said I doubt anyone would book a cruise for free AI, reading comments and replies over various threads the people who do get these deals are just lucky it came with the cruise they wanted. I personally think Thomson have got not only their offers but their new drinks package all wrong and its definately doing them or their customers any favours.

Agree Jim :) but if you read what it says All Inclusive beverages*: includes a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks by the glass (draught beer and wine) and coffee, what exactly does selection mean? I don't see any mention of spirits or cocktails.

Me, I'd rather have a nice cup of tea :) and it's free :D

Thats why i posted the link to the list of what it included :confused:

You are sooo right. I go on cruises to see something of the world, not spend all day drinking to get my money's worth :rolleyes:

You making insinuations Linda? ;)

Contrary to belief so do i and suspect the majority do but its the principle regards the AI

Archived