Teens on a cruise

I have sailed with my kids who at the time were teens. We sailed the first week in September and again the 3rd week in September. Not many kids were onboard but the kids did have a great time.

Taking kids out in September is easier for them to catch up then it is if youtake them out later in the year.

I agree we usually only miss one or two days when we go in April still not to bad to catch up...

serene you got you banner to move!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I'm not taking my stepkids out of school (heck, one has already graduated from college and is working, one is in college, and the youngest in high school), but I don't think there is any blanket answer to your question.

Different kids have different situations and there are also extenuating circumstances that throw everything out the window.

I think you should do what is right for your child and if that involves taking her out of school, do it.

When I was in high school, I wouldn't have wanted to have missed school, because there's just too much to make up. I understand the circumstances, but I just wouldn't take your kids out of school to go on vacation. Missing school because you are sick is one thing. Missing school so you can go on vacation is another. To me, that is.

I understand that it is educational to have the "experience", but face it, it's still vacation, and it's still fun. No one is going to make her write an essay about her "experience" of partying, snorkeling and laying by the pool.

I just don't like the whole "why not" attitude. I wonder if kids who were taken out during school to go on vacation are the same people who call in sick to take a vacation when they are grown and have real full time jobs. I know a guy that works with me that used up all his vacation days for the year, but then wanted to go skiing for the weekend, so he came to me and told me he was going to "call in sick" Friday and Monday. Simply inexcuseable.

Hi halos!!!!!!! Long time no talk to your right do both!!!!!;)

good to 'see' ya Chuckie!! :D

Hey!! You guys have sun today???

For a while I thought I was gonna have to build a ship and start collecting animals :eek:

I'm not taking my stepkids out of school (heck, one has already graduated from college and is working, one is in college, and the youngest in high school), but I don't think there is any blanket answer to your question.

Different kids have different situations and there are also extenuating circumstances that throw everything out the window.

I think you should do what is right for your child and if that involves taking her out of school, do it.

good, sound advice.

Public schools don't like kids to miss in September because they receive their state monies based on how many children are enrolled during a specific time period in September. This is the real reason why they dislike absences in Sept. That being said, if your DD attends private school this will not be an issue. Is she interested in a fall sport? Because if she is therein will lie your problem. H.S. coaches do not tolerate athletes missing because of vacation. They are generally really rabid about it. If not, then it wont matter. My philosopy is don't tell the school you are going on vacation. I send a note to the HS ahead of time simply stating that my children will not be in school on such and such dates. I don't give a reason. It really isn't any of their business. If the teachers ask the kids they say they have a family thing they have to go to. We haven't had a problem. I can tell you that my DD wouldn't miss 4 day of HS. She is in a full boat of honors classes and would have a terrible time making it up. Therefore we no longer take them out of HS for more than 1-2 days at most. Perhaps you could book a 4-5 day cruise and cut down on the time she will miss school. As for teens, don't worry. Like most teenage girls, give her a teen novel and a pool chair and she'll be happy.

When I was in high school, I wouldn't have wanted to have missed school, because there's just too much to make up. I understand the circumstances, but I just wouldn't take your kids out of school to go on vacation. Missing school because you are sick is one thing. Missing school so you can go on vacation is another. To me, that is.

I understand that it is educational to have the "experience", but face it, it's still vacation, and it's still fun. No one is going to make her write an essay about her "experience" of partying, snorkeling and laying by the pool.

I just don't like the whole "why not" attitude. I wonder if kids who were taken out during school to go on vacation are the same people who call in sick to take a vacation when they are grown and have real full time jobs. I know a guy that works with me that used up all his vacation days for the year, but then wanted to go skiing for the weekend, so he came to me and told me he was going to "call in sick" Friday and Monday. Simply inexcuseable.

Don't generalize.

My parents took us out of school every other May from the time that I was in Junior High....they still do this with my sisters as well. That was our family vacation time. They went every year and every other year they would take the kids along. It was something we always looked forward to, even when we got older. The only time I missed it was Senior year, because it was senior finals and I couldn't miss, but the other years we always planned ahead and got make-up work prior to leaving (we were all good students so we were practically done with the whole week's worth of work by the time we got to our destination, it was our car ride ritual, lol)

I say all of this to say, that I still look back on that fondly and I'm sure my parents wouldn't have changed a thing, in fact they haven't, they still take my younger sisters and still invite us older ones to go along when we can. I am a very responsible law school bound college senior with a full-time job. I've always had a great work ethic that I got from my parents, as a matter of fact, my parents would check our GPAs before we left and if it wasn't up to par, we were going to be at home while everyone else was on vacation, it actually made us work harder throughout the year.

Those same lazy grown people could have had perfect attendance throughout their school careers, so please don't generalize or make assumptions.

To the OP, I say take your kids on vacation if you feel they deserve it. If they have school, either plan for make-up work beforehand or after and stick to it, but don't reconsider the vacation because it's during the school-year. Your kids will remember those family vacations forever.

I just don't like the whole "why not" attitude. I wonder if kids who were taken out during school to go on vacation are the same people who call in sick to take a vacation when they are grown and have real full time jobs. .

and the answer to that would be...NO

I don't follow your "still a vacation" logic, or how you can infer that taking a vacation during the school year means that you will turn into a deadbeat later in life, at all. I can't even think of a question to ask to clarify your points. I just don't get it. :confused:

I don't follow your "still a vacation" logic, or how you can infer that taking a vacation during the school year means that you will turn into a deadbeat later in life, at all.
Well, you said something along the lines of how when the kids are on a cruise, it is an educational experience to see new cultures. I don't understand how you can compare the educational value of a cruise to the education you can get during the same time period in school. Being on a cruise is still vacation, new cultures and all.

And of course, not every kid taken out of school to go on vacation turns into a deadbeat. But values are instilled in people when they are young. If kids are taught that it is OK to skip out on school to go on vacation, then they are being taught the attitude that it is OK to shirk responsibility. At their age, their responsibility is to go to school. I see the same attitude in the guy at work who calls in sick so he can go skiing.

I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions about education and whether a vacation is more important than education. I put a lot of value in education. I certainly don't think my opinion deserved a "you are making so little sense that I don't even know where to begin to address all the problems with your opinion" response.

Well, you said something along the lines of how when the kids are on a cruise, it is an educational experience to see new cultures. I don't understand how you can compare the educational value of a cruise to the education you can get during the same time period in school. Being on a cruise is still vacation, new cultures and all.

what kids learn on a vacation...even to Disney World is life experience.

What they learn in classrooms is how to take a test. REAL learning doesn't even begin in a classroom until college. If your kids learn enough to get into one, then they are OK ;)

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

If kids are taught that it is OK to skip out on school to go on vacation, then they are being taught the attitude that it is OK to shirk responsibility.

I disagree. Guess I'm a deadbeat. I'm glad a figured it out before Monday's LSAT. What was I thinking? For that matter, what were my parents thinking? :rolleyes:

I wonder how we should generalize all those whose parents did the utmost to instill the very best of values in their children, yet they still became serial killers and child molesters :confused:

Ok...that's a tangent...I'm done. Time to hit the library in a few. Happy cruising to all you families out there....maybe your children will grow up to be a deadbeat with no responsibility like me! :p

Blackwing,

First of all, I apologize for what seems like a personal attack on you. It wasn't meant to be, but I can see it could very easily be taken as one. Again, my apologies.

I do however, disagree with you, as you do with me. Education to me, means more than sitting in a classroom setting. My daughter and I for that matter learn quite a bit by traveling, using opportunities typically not afforded to us. I obviously don't think of this situation as more of a vacation than an education. Conversely, I don't think that this is more of an education than a vacation. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive.

I value an education also, my daughter is a honors student in high school (yikes), but she also knows how to start a campfire, set up a tent, identify wild plants etc etc, and even takes the time to learn even more about the culture of people she has had a chance to interact with through travel. Most importantly, she has learned that she can discuss her feelings and issues she is dealing with us due in part through the time we spend on vacations together. That, to me, is the most exceptional education that you can get.

I value an education also, my daughter is a honors student in high school (yikes), but she also knows how to start a campfire, set up a tent, identify wild plants etc etc, and even takes the time to learn even more about the culture of people she has had a chance to interact with through travel. Most importantly, she has learned that she can discuss her feelings and issues she is dealing with us due in part through the time we spend on vacations together. That, to me, is the most exceptional education that you can get.

you sound like a great parent....I'd have you raise me, anyday :D

My daughter will almost be 15. She will be starting Sophomore year in high school. Here they start school on August 25th (I Know, stupid day..its a Thursday). I plan to communicate with the teachers immediately. They have 'after school' and 'saturday' help for students who need extra lessons to catch up or have extra tutoring. Her school's policy is no more than 11 unexcused absenses. But they list several 'excused' absense types, one being educational opportunity, which I feel applies here. The more I think, the more I don't care if there are a lot of other youngsters on the ship. Her brother and her get along great and are already planning on hanging together. I appreciate your replies. I know some people are very adamant about this subject. I'm sorry if I got anyone's dander up, but ultimately we as a family will do what we feel is in our best interests. Thank you!:)

And of course, not every kid taken out of school to go on vacation turns into a deadbeat. But values are instilled in people when they are young. If kids are taught that it is OK to skip out on school to go on vacation, then they are being taught the attitude that it is OK to shirk responsibility. At their age, their responsibility is to go to school. I see the same attitude in the guy at work who calls in sick so he can go skiing.

I'm sorry you don't agree with me, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions about education and whether a vacation is more important than education. I put a lot of value in education. I certainly don't think my opinion deserved a "you are making so little sense that I don't even know where to begin to address all the problems with your opinion" response.

I think I may be in the minority here, but I agree with blackwing to an extent. It is true that learning dosen't just take place in a classroom and that exposing our children to other cultures is a good thing. However, I'm disturbed by the attitude that some people have that missing a week or so of school isn't a "big deal." The older the child gets, the more it is a big deal because the subject matter gets more complex with each passing grade. Therefore, it may be more difficult for them to make up work missed, provided the district allows them to do so. My parents never took my sister and myself out of school for the express purpose of going on vacation. The only times I missed school was due to illness or for funerals.

Many say that family time is important. And I agree. However, the family dosen't need to set aside an entire week of time for that. Family time can be every evening at home and on weekends. Also, that is what summer vacation, Christmas, Thanksgiving and spring breaks are for. It's more expensive to vacation during those time periods, but as school is not in session during those periods, kids won't miss any crucial information needed for a test or whatever. Although a cruise does expose children to other cultures, they are not visiting museums or points of local interest 24 hours a day either. A large portion of their time is spent on fun activities-swimming or lazing by the pool, playing sports and the like. Kids don't necessarily need to go on a cruise to have fun, especially not when school is in session.

If I offended anyone, I apologize in advance. However, the attitude that education isn't important is probably one of the reasons why nearly half of our children don't read or do math at grade level (at least in NYC, where I live).

We took our kids out of school for a cruise. My son was in jr. high, so it wasn't a biggy. My daughter though was in high school and she just couldn't make up all that work. Just too much. She said she wouldn't want to do that again. So we're going right when school lets out in a few weeks.

There were still kids on board and school was in session. So they'll still meet other kids.

Personally, I think family time is important too. So I don't have a problem taking them out if I know they can make it up pretty easily. But again, high school is just too important.

Have fun!

I guess our school system is tuffer. My girls wounldn't take any days off, even in middle school. There was way to much work to make up for a week. They felt it was just to important to miss and they missed things by just not being in the class room.

I have always taken my daughter out of school every other year in September to celebrate her birthday. Three of these were on cruises, we always brought her best friend with her. However, they always did meet a few kids on board.

On the down side, my daughter has always been a good student and has always caught up her work. Last year was the exception because she missed some important math in algebra and never did catch on. This messed up her school average. We are crusing again this year but she will need to stay at home with grandparents since it will be her senior year.

Although a cruise does expose children to other cultures, they are not visiting museums or points of local interest 24 hours a day either.

However, the attitude that education isn't important is probably one of the reasons why nearly half of our children don't read or do math at grade level

I agree about the cruise vacation not being as culturally based as a museum or other point of interest, but when my parents took us out of school every two years, we never went on a cruise, so I wouldn't know.

I totally disagree with the second point. I don't think anyone has made an education seem unimportant. As a first-generation college graduate, I, as well as my family, hold education at a high regard. But yet, I was still taken on a vacation every other May and was out of school for a week each time. I guess it didn't harm me, because my grades and exam scores were still great enough that I was accepted into several prestigious institutions and will graduate from one of them next May (hmmm, the same month that I used to go on vacation with the family in when I was younger :p ). I did however skip the family trip when it fell on my senior year, which was a decision that definitely should have been made, in my opinion. Also, I went to school in NYC and 1/2 of students being below average in reading and math is an exaggeration. I understand that you're trying to make a point, but that isn't based on fact. Also, not generalizing, but most of the kids that do have that problem probably have never been taken out of school for a vacation. A great deal of those kids, especially in NYC and other urban areas, come from more proverty stricken, or less than middle class homes and probably couldn't even afford a vacation. There are way more issues to the problem with our kids not learning, and it has nothing to do with whether they miss a week for a family vacation.

We have taken our older children out of school for vacation in Jan and Feb and they seem to do better when they return. Even in High School. We are going on a Cruise in Oct and our 15 year old son will be going. I talked to his advisor at school and she said they have a strict policy for missing 5 or more days and he will have to go infront of the review board. She said it shouldn't be a problem and she suggested we go. Our 23 year old son will be missing college. It is one of the few times the family can all get together and go. We have extended family going too. I would never go during Spring Break again. Did that once and it was a mistake. Lots of drunk college kids and not the best situation for a teen to see.

Have a great time!

Roxane13

Archived