Emerald Menus and Entertainment

ddins

Does anybody have current menus for the current 10 day Emerald itineraries and possibly a list of shows in the theater / MUTS? Any thing would be helpful. I always enjoy knowing what to expect.

Does anybody have current menus for the current 10 day Emerald itineraries and possibly a list of shows in the theater / MUTS? Any thing would be helpful. I always enjoy knowing what to expect.

Have been trying to get the new menus for over a month. It helps to know ahead so you can decide when to go to alternative restaurants.I have had no luck getting complete menus but thank the people for what info they have shared on the food. Going on Emerald in Feb so maybe we will get them yet.

Arlene

Hi, folks,

We got a lot of information from Scuba Greg before our Christmas Cruise (Dec. 17, 2012) on the Emerald. Try looking through the Roll Call for our cruise for detailed info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1449943

You may see some comments posted on this forum about the decline in food quality in the MDR. Unfortunately, it seems to be true. The menus have been seriously shortened; the only menu that was like the menus of the past was the Christmas Day dinner menu. When I commented that it looked like the Princess menus used to look, our waiter agreed. That's not saying that what they had was bad - quite the contrary. Excellent prime rib and lamb shanks. Even the pork chop was one of the best I had. It's just that the choices have been slimmed down (perhaps not a good choice of words when discussing cruising food:rolleyes:). Escargot is back on the menu at least once. No Baked Alaska, but then it may have been a victim of the Noro that was on our cruise.

Regarding entertainment - all shows have been shortened to 30 minutes. The reason given was to "provide more opportunity for passengers to take advantage of other entertainment offerings." However, we've seen a couple of the shows before and shortening made them worse. All but one of the productions shows used canned music and background singers. This was a shame as the ship's band (some of whom got on when we did and hadn't played with the others before) was one of the best. They gave a performance of jazz in one of the lounges one night - don't miss it if you see it, they are seriously good! The singers and dancers were, in my opinion, mediocre at best. It was interesting that one of the lead singers performed in the Christmas show and sang very well. I remember wondering why she couldn't sing like this in the other shows. The new musical "Disco - Blame It On the Boogie" was stopped and cancelled part way through due to difficulties with the lighting computer. There was a Beatles tribute band - The Beatle Maniacs - that was pretty good. They gave two performances; one in the theater and one in Club Fusion, which was actually a dance party. MUTS seemed to be showing a lot of sports. One of the movies we wanted to see, "The Dark Knight Rises," they made a schedule mistake on; the second showing that night was supposed to start at 10PM, but the first showing still had over a half hour to go.

All in all, we enjoyed the cruise; but, some of the sparkle seems to have gone away.

Art

Archived