Initial Embarkation Authorization

waspin247

Quick question. At embarkation, what is the initial authorization placed on your credit card?

I'm sure this answer has been posted before, but without a search button it was hard to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Now,, remember, that's only an authorization, not a charge. Once your account gets close to the original authorization, Carnival will hit your credit card company for another authorization.

All of these authorizations can reduce your available credit.

If you have a low limit credit card, I'd recommend opening your account with cash. Then, as cash dwindles, go to Guest Services and put your credit card down as form of payment.

Disclaimer. This thread will now get pounded with folks saying " it never happened to me" somehow implying that means it never happens at all. However, the authorizations can affect your available balance. The final decision is based upon the policies and procedures of the financial institutions who issued you your credit card.

Thanks for your help! Let me be more specific as to why I'm asking this. When the mastercard $50 on board credit promotion came out, I put a mastercard on our account to get the $50 OBC. Now, this card has a very low limit (our usual cards we use are Visa) I'm planning on changing this card during the week, but Carnival is telling me I must board and use the card I signed up with. Once it is authorized and I'm on board, I'll get the $50.

I just want to make sure that the initial authorization isn't so high that the card declines and then I'm outta the $50 OBC.

Thanks for your help! Let me be more specific as to why I'm asking this. When the mastercard $50 on board credit promotion came out, I put a mastercard on our account to get the $50 OBC. Now, this card has a very low limit (our usual cards we use are Visa) I'm planning on changing this card during the week, but Carnival is telling me I must board and use the card I signed up with. Once it is authorized and I'm on board, I'll get the $50.

I just want to make sure that the initial authorization isn't so high that the card declines and then I'm outta the $50 OBC.

In the long thread about the MC OBC, multiple people stated that they just preregistered with the MC to get the OBC but once they embarked the ship, they used another card or cash and the OBC stayed there. I think as long as your OBC is already showing on your account through your cruise manager, it will be fine to use another card.

See that's the thing. The OBC doesn't show up on my cruise manager right now. I emailed customer service and they told me it wouldn't show up until they authorized the card at embarkation. I did see some people say though that they had changed to cash accounts or different cards at the port and still got the credit. I have my confirmation though of the program, sure I'll be able to get the $50 OBC no matter what.

It'll all work out. It's a cruise, no need to get stressed out about it. Thanks everyone for your help on this! :)

Quick question. At embarkation, what is the initial authorization placed on your credit card?

I'm sure this answer has been posted before, but without a search button it was hard to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

From the FAQ section on Carnival.com:

During embarkation, when your credit card is swiped, an initial hold of $75 (for cruises 5 days or less) or $100 (for cruises 6 days or more). Then, throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained as needed. You should know, this will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking/debit account. Authorization hold releases to your account is entirely up to your issuing bank.

All charges will be automatically billed at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with your Sail & Sign card will be delivered to your stateroom. If you made a cash deposit and there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, you will receive the overpayment in the form of a check, attached to the detailed statement received on the final morning of the cruise.

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks may be used to open your Sail & Sign Account. Once on board, please visit our Guest Services Desk who will gladly assist you in opening your account. Throughout the cruise, as you approach the deposit limit, our Guest Services Desk will notify you that additional money must be deposited.

"Recommended" deposits per sailing duration:

2-4 day cruises: $100 USD deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 USD deposit pp

9+ day cruises: $350 USD deposit pp

See that's the thing. The OBC doesn't show up on my cruise manager right now. I emailed customer service and they told me it wouldn't show up until they authorized the card at embarkation. I did see some people say though that they had changed to cash accounts or different cards at the port and still got the credit. I have my confirmation though of the program, sure I'll be able to get the $50 OBC no matter what.

It'll all work out. It's a cruise, no need to get stressed out about it. Thanks everyone for your help on this! :)

Hi Waspin, Just off the Splendor on Sunday and we got an email about 4 days before the cruise confirming the $50 OBC, then it showed up on the docs. The day of Embarkation, I noticed a $100 pre-auth (7night cruise) on my CCD which then dropped off. During the cruise, I changed credit cards to a Visa and the $50OBC stayed on. Hope that helps.

Archived