hawaiian cruise

munch122

Hi Everyone,

You guys were so helpfull with our first cruise in dec 2012 we are ready to do it again this time to hawaii. Mom 87 wants a sky suite again. She loved her butler rikki so much on constellation! I need help deciding 15 night on century nov 21 2013 or 11 night solstice sept 23 2013? My husband would like to try a bigger ship, we thought the pools were small on connie. Since the century is smaller and older than connie would this be a good choice? This will be our first trip to hawaii . I would rather cruise for four days than fly for 6 hours but if the century is not as nice as solstice then I do not want spend moms money unwisely this is all about her. I have cabin questions also century 1201 or 1200 are handicpped she had a hard time stepping over to get on balcony so I thought it might be better this way but it is on deck 12 and we had a little touble with seasickness on connie. Would this be a bad choice with the chance of high seas our carribean trip was smooth seas and I still needed the patch maybe penthouse 1052 would be better any opinions or insight or pictures would be great. We had 6146 on connie next to penthouse and it was great!!! I was wondering if the cabins next to penthouse on century were also special? Also 1201 is above the smoking area on deck 11 and I hate smoke but I was told to take the port room 1201 for better views of hawaii? Also this are the first cabins so will the balcony be private from the deck that overlooks the pool? I originally booked 1201 because I thought the balcony would overlook the pool directly but celebrity said there is a deck there so she would not be able to see the pool from her balony. I was hoping it was like the aft cabins that overlook the sunset bar directly. Has anyone stayed in either of these cabins. If we switch to solstice and suffer the plane ride back are there any extra special sky suites on solstice ? Mom tried creme brulee for the first time on connie and she is really looking forward to 15 nights with it!! Sorry this is so wordy back on point century or solstice and which dates would provide better weather for both cruising and on the islands!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!:)

We did the Century cruise this past November 19. The weather was beautiful the whole time. Being a Floridian, most of the time at sea, it was a little cool for swimming. You can read my review at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=112134

Before going on about the Century, I want to warn you about another negative about the Solstice itinerary. It leaves from Ensenada Mexico, a 2-hour (sometimes longer) bus ride from San Diego.

My wife forgot her patches, but never felt the need for them. It was certainly not the smoothest ride, but most of the motion was from swells and I suspect that the Solstice would have rocked too. BTW, we have sailed on the Equinox and the Summit; so we have seen all varieties of X ships. I cannot comment on the suites; we were midship on deck 9.

The Century is an elegant ship; I don't think you will be wasting your mother's money.

If you have specific questions about the Century, I'll try to answer.

Munch 122,

I was on the Century on Deck 12 1251 with an aft cabin above the tarp and the sunset bar.

have you looked at the deck plans of the Century deck 12 and cabin 1200 and 1201?

These are located closest to the elevators and the doors to the walk out to the open deck above the pool which is on deck 11 along with the buffett(Isalnd Cafe).

Deck 12 is very quiet, no thru traffic. I helped a gentleman get into his stateroom 1201 many afternoons. He was using a motorized scooter and could not easliy open his stateroom door. The suites are very nice. But your two rooms overlook the side of the ship not the aft.

Smoking is allowed on port side on pool deck only by the tables not the whole side. this area has glass with only one or two windows openned when it is nice. there should be no problem with any smoke going up to deck twelve and your baclony. The staterooms start after aft elevator and staircase bay.

Looking at a deck plan you will be able to see this.

I love deck 12 on the Century and had a wonderful time on my 15 Panama Cruise. The food was outstanding in the MDR and Murano. Your mother will be able to get her creme brulee, just tell your head waiter the first night.

Have a wonderful cruise.

We did a fifteen day Hawaii cruise RT out of San Diego on the Century last October. It was only our second time on the Century as we did an eighteen day cruise on her in 2011 from Honolulu to Sydney.

The Century will be very different from the Solstice. Many passengers find the Century to be more elegant. It also has a classic nautical feel due to the dark woods. Many of the public rooms are simply delightful. I haven't tried the search function today (it seemed to be down last night), but there is a great review which was published both on the Celebrity and Hawaii forum. This review has a great number of photos of the Century, and will provide some insight in how it compares to the Solstice. The review is by the poster "MVPinboyington" or something similar to that name.

We are going on the Solstice 11nt HNL to Ensenada. I have heard the drive from Ensenada to San Diego can be very long and might be too much for your mom. I travel with my 80 yr. old father and I would not take him on this trip. The RT hawaii would be a better choice. The Century is a wondeful ship.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived