First time at Belize Port

Groliv

Hello everyone,

This will be our first time stopping at Belize. Carnival does not seem to give any info about the port itself. Where is the port actually? Is it at Belize City? What is in the immediate area of the cruise port? Is there a beach? Shops? If not, since we are on a budget and cannot affor cave tubing or expensive excursions, what would people suggest? Is there somewhere to go & just chill? Or are we best to stay on the ship?

Hello everyone,

This will be our first time stopping at Belize. Carnival does not seem to give any info about the port itself. Where is the port actually? Is it at Belize City? What is in the immediate area of the cruise port? Is there a beach? Shops? If not, since we are on a budget and cannot affor cave tubing or expensive excursions, what would people suggest? Is there somewhere to go & just chill? Or are we best to stay on the ship?

Yes, you will be tendered into Belize City. The Port area "Free Zone" is fairly small with some shopping for you to get some items. The wood carvings are truly beautiful. Excursion companies have reps at the the dock where the tenders come in. Not sure if you can catch a water taxi to Caye Caulker or Ambergris from this dock - but that would be a great way to spend a few hours. Water Taxi is fairly inexpensive. About 10 to 15 American dollars. Takes about 1 1/2 hours to get to Ambergris/Caye Caulker. There are some bars in the "Free Zone" to go to if you want. My photos from the Dream cruise and the Miracle cruise may give you and idea of the tendering area. Some folks really love Belize (I DO, I DO!) and others really dislike it. The area right outside of the "Free Zone" can be like passing the gauntlet with panhandlers, etc. My thoughts on that are do NOT leave your brain on the ship! Like any strange place, there are those that will take advantage of souls that are too trusting.

The Excursion up the River Wallace with Altun Ha was great. A little pricey, but it was a fairly small group which was nice. We saw lots of crocs, birds and monkeys. Altun Ha was pretty impressive.

Whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!

Laurie

The Cruisin Camper

We are always on a budget too but still get off at every port just to experience it. We have been to Belieze once. My suggestion is to go and walk around and head back when you are ready. The tenders come and go all day. That will not cost anything. Maybe go in early and head back early and enjoy the quiet ship. The best of both. Happy crusing!

Belize has been one of our favorite spots. NO Carlos & Charlies/Margaraitaville/Fat Tuesday junk. No trendy shops or fake looking pristine beaches. REAL town, REAL people. WE got out of the T-Village and wandered all over town, visited a school, chatted with folks, wandered into stores way into town, sat on a curb drank beer with locals and ate local foods at Neries. Feels like your not at home and not cookie cutter like Cozumel/Grand Cayman etc..

Belize has been one of our favorite spots. NO Carlos & Charlies/Margaraitaville/Fat Tuesday junk. No trendy shops or fake looking pristine beaches. REAL town, REAL people. WE got out of the T-Village and wandered all over town, visited a school, chatted with folks, wandered into stores way into town, sat on a curb drank beer with locals and ate local foods at Neries. Feels like your not at home and not cookie cutter like Cozumel/Grand Cayman etc..

Having been there 6+ times, if we were with kids, I would not even think about walking outside the enclosed area. We were followed for blocks by vendors hawking everything. We did get into town also and turned around and came back. This is a port where those making money need to return it to those in need. No, it is not cookie cutter, it can be a scary place for kids IMHO. The poverty is incredible and I feel for those who have real needs. Glad you had a good time, but this is not the usual report.

We've only been to this port one time (four years ago). We were happy with other stops being our beach hits, so we decided to just do a quick horse carriage ride around the city. Did this with our two-year-old daughter and it was an....um, "experience"! I've been in poor countries many times (Guatemala, Albania) and Belize City is right up there with them. While I wouldn't say we were scared, it definitely didn't feel all that comfortable. Won't do that again.

Having said that, we are going to be back in Belize City in a month with a six-year-old and a two-year-old and we'll either do a Carnival excursion (avoiding the mainland) or stay on the boat. We'll be fine with Costa Maya and Cozumel as our beach stops. If my parents will babysit our kids on the boat we might just walk out and book a snorkeling tour with an independent.

As suggested above, you can go out, but just don't leave common sense behind.

(edited to add: didn't mean to imply that all of Guatemala/Albania are nasty. Parts are relatively safe and gorgeous, but you don't have to travel far to be in unwelcome areas).

Archived