Water Clarity and Ocean Blue

WileESuperGenious

I am wondering where to go when we are in Costa Maya. I want a beach area with clear blue water, not the green/brownish. I would like to snorkel while we are there and the "lake looking" water just won't cut it. We were thinking about going to Mahahaul but it appears I can find either type of beach there.

Can anyone help answer this?

That section of the coast is prevelent to sea grass. The waters off the malecon can get churned up by water craft. Even furthe rup the coast the water may not be that blue like you get on some Eastern Caribbean islands. Best bets for clearer waters snorkeling are to head south of Mahahual toward Puerto Angel (about 13kms) but limited facilities (Castillo Hotel is nearest restaurant bar) or booking one of the non-malecon A.I.s at Almapena or Maya Chan. Xcalak (about an hour and a half south of the Costa Maya port) has protected reefs and numerous small bars restaurants and hotels. You'll see lots of nice beaches along the way, but no facilities.

• 3 weeks later...

IMHO, I agree with the post above! lol

There is NOT great snorkeling off the beach at Majahual... anywhere (that I know of). LOTS of seagrass patches. Saw some fish, but NOTHING like we'd like (Roatan is awesome, FYI).

Read the posts on Maya Chan and see what they say down in that area.

We were there last week, the water is murky, we went to Maya Chan and would book it again if we returned to this port. A nice beach, water toys and it is all inclusive with very good service and not crowded.

If you want the crystal clear blue Caribbean water with a beautiful beach and snorkeling...about 20 minutes away is Almaplena. They are a new resort that just opened up last year. They only take 20 passengers a day (but there is usually less than that there). It is an AI resort so it includes your food as well. Snorkeling is right off shore. So yes, you can go somewhere at Costa Maya and have the crystal blue water and snorkeling. :)

Here you will find my COMPLETE review with TONS of pictures from our day there. I would highly recommend it!

The review of Almpalena starts at post 190

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=5

No murky brownish green water here.

Archived