back to back cruise

trub

Interesting.......we are cruising next month on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it is booked (and was advertised) as a 14 day cruise - even though we return to FLL half way through. I specifically asked the HAL agent when I booked it if we would have to get off/Immigration/back on and she said "No - this is a 14 day cruise" - she also said we have the same cabin the whole 14 days....since it is a guaranteed, we still have no assigned cabin....she had better be right about the cabin thing or DH will be a very unhappy camper. I told her that all the info I had found here on CC indicated that we HAD to get off in FLL after the first 7 days was over and she said absolutely not - again, it was advertised and sold as a 14 day cruise. Will this make a difference?

So....it remains to be seen who is correct in all this....it's not a big deal and since we live in south FL, we don't want to go tour in FLL - we just want to get back on the ship and enjoy it for the day. I will let y'all know just who is correct in all this! :D

Interesting.......we are cruising next month on the Nieuw Amsterdam and it is booked (and was advertised) as a 14 day cruise - even though we return to FLL half way through. I specifically asked the HAL agent when I booked it if we would have to get off/Immigration/back on and she said "No - this is a 14 day cruise" - she also said we have the same cabin the whole 14 days....since it is a guaranteed, we still have no assigned cabin....she had better be right about the cabin thing or DH will be a very unhappy camper. I told her that all the info I had found here on CC indicated that we HAD to get off in FLL after the first 7 days was over and she said absolutely not - again, it was advertised and sold as a 14 day cruise. Will this make a difference?

So....it remains to be seen who is correct in all this....it's not a big deal and since we live in south FL, we don't want to go tour in FLL - we just want to get back on the ship and enjoy it for the day. I will let y'all know just who is correct in all this! :D

The Rep is wrong.

We did your cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam and we had to clear Immigration in FLL.

We just did Westerdam booked as 14 days, same as you, and you will have to clear Immigration in FLL.

The reps speak without always knowing about what they speak. They are not as well trained or experienced as we would like.

Those of us who have done countless b-to-b's and Collector's cruises, have 'been there and done it'. Most of those reps have never been on a ship.

It is not big deal and don't worry about it but be aware when you return to U.S. port on b-to-b and Collectors, CBP will require you present yourselves and your ID's/passports.

On my last cruise from South America to New York, in April 2012, we docked in FLL. Many of the passengers were continuing on to New York, but no one new was boarding for the remaining three nights of the voyage.

All of us had to get off in Fort Lauderdale, and go through immigration, before either re-boarding or spending time in Fort Lauderdale for the day. Although I had waited for most people to leave the ship, there was still quite a line-up to go through iimmigration.

As it was only 3 more nights, and there were no new passengers, we did not need to have another safety drill before sailaway.

Trust us -- your HAL agent is wrong.

Many of us have done the Collector's cruises in Ft Lauderdale and Tampa. And we have to get off the ship and go through immigration. And we have to go to the second lifeboat drill as well.

On my last cruise from South America to New York' date=' in April 2012, we docked in FLL. Many of the passengers were continuing on to New York, but no one new was boarding for the remaining three nights of the voyage.

All of us had to get off in Fort Lauderdale, and go through immigration, before either re-boarding or spending time in Fort Lauderdale for the day. Although I had waited for most people to leave the ship, there was still quite a line-up to go through iimmigration.

As it was only 3 more nights, and there were no new passengers, we did not need to have another safety drill before sailaway.[/quote']

That happened to us once as well.

As long as no new passengers don't get on the ship, then there isn't another lifeboat drill.

DW and I will be on the NA doing a B-2-B cruise in Oct/Nov, does anyone know if we can walk to 17th St. in FLL, or do we need to take a cab out of the port after clearing customs?

You will need to take a cab out of the port after clearing customs! It is too far to walk, especially with luggage & the roadways will be quite busy with traffic! ;)

DW and I will be on the NA doing a B-2-B cruise in Oct/Nov, does anyone know if we can walk to 17th St. in FLL, or do we need to take a cab out of the port after clearing customs?

You will be permitted to walk if you wish but depending where the ship is docked, it's a fair distance. For a good walker who wants the exercise, it is doable. There are not sidewalks the whole route but we have seen crew walking when they didn't want to wait for/use the crew shuttle.

You will not have luggage as you do not need to pack up your things until you leave the ship after your last cruise segment.

It is quite a distance to walk from the pier to 17th Street.

Don't know where you are going on 17th Street. But from there it is quite a walk to the Harbor shops for Plubix, Total Wine and several restaurants in the plaza as well as others on the main street.

You would be wise to take a taxi.

IF I understand you correctly, the end of your first cruise segment has you returning to Tampa, where you started? You then sail same day on your second segment?

IF that is the case, you will have to clear Immigration in Tampa when the first cruise ends. As an 'in transit', which means you are continuing on the next voyage, you can leave the ship and clear Immigration as soon as they start disembarkation.

Take your passports, in transit cards (which you will be given) and your ship's ID. Clear Immigration and go on your way out and about around Tampa as you wish. You will be free to enjoy whatever activities interest you.

When you return to the ship, you will only have to show your in transit card and ID/ship's card and you go directly to security x-ray and do not have to stand in check in line.

Be sure to return to the ship in time for life boat drill. You will have to attend it again on your second segment.

You will receive a letter in your cabin the last day of your first cruise which will give explicit instructions as well as breakfast/lunch hours etc

It is really very easy. Nothing confusing about it.

Enjoy...

Tampa is a nice port from which to sail. We sailed from there 3 times and really liked it as pre and post cruise port.

Sail,

Thank you for the clear reply. Yes, you understood me correctly. We will depart from Tampa for the 1st leg, return for part of one day and then begin the second leg of the cruise before returning to Tampa once again. On the middle visit we have several hours to kill and were thinking of visiting the Aquarium until I read a number of largely negative reviews this morning. We may look for something else to do.

RonJoan

Sail,

Thank you for the clear reply. Yes, you understood me correctly. We will depart from Tampa for the 1st leg, return for part of one day and then begin the second leg of the cruise before returning to Tampa once again. On the middle visit we have several hours to kill and were thinking of visiting the Aquarium until I read a number of largely negative reviews this morning. We may look for something else to do.

RonJoan

Hope you enjoy Tampa as much as we did. We found it a nice port for embarkation/debark and had some pleasant pre and post cruise stays there.

Have a great cruise. :)

As usual, great information from all. I'll be using it on our upcoming collector's cruise aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Thanks!:)

We did a Collectors on Nieuw Amsterdam a year ago Thanksgiving.

Enjoy!!! :) We did it on Westerdam this Thanksgiving.

Archived