Apart from Atlantis Does Anyone Like Nassau?

ticktoneer

We'll be in Nassau for the second time in a couple of weeks. Haven't been to Atlantis, nor do we plan to this time, either.

First time, we did the Ardastra Gardens, which was interesting. We also did the Pirate Museum. Actually, our planned excursion was canceled so we had to do these things more as last minute what do we do now type activities, and did them on our own.

This time, we plan on doing the walking tour (at least parts of it) and heading for Junkanoo Beach. I don't know if we'll go to the Queen's Staircase as it seems a bit out of the way when we want to get to the beach, plus after hearing about theft there, I'm a bit nervous.

Maybe at some point we'll get to Atlantis, but there is definitely more to Nassau than just that.

If you can't find something interesting, fun or exciting to do in Nassau, they you just haven't done your homework, or ventured away from the hoards of other cruisers who stampede our shores each day.

We have fun in the sun, fishing, bird watching, horsebackriding, seqways, food tours and history.. as well as museums, art galleries and cultural events. Depending on the season, there's homecomings, regattas, festivals and even sports car races and cricket matches.

Do a little research, think out of the box (life isn't really about Atlantis and Senor Frogs).

There's no reason to travel if your gonna get stuck in your own head.

HELP HELP IT'S 12:30!

WE ARE HERE AND i am AN OUTSIDE THE BOX GUY. WE WERE DIVERTED FROM COZUMELAND ALL MY HOMEWORK IS FOR NAUGHT, I HAVE NO MAP AND I NEED A 30 MINUTE WALKING TOUR TO THE APPROPRIATE TAXI STAND, AND A SEMI-SECLUDED BEACH AWAY FROM THE SCREAMING HOARDS, IS JUNKANOO FILLIING THIS BILL?

HELP HELP IT'S 12:30!

WE ARE HERE AND i am AN OUTSIDE THE BOX GUY. WE WERE DIVERTED FROM COZUMELAND ALL MY HOMEWORK IS FOR NAUGHT, I HAVE NO MAP AND I NEED A 30 MINUTE WALKING TOUR TO THE APPROPRIATE TAXI STAND, AND A SEMI-SECLUDED BEACH AWAY FROM THE SCREAMING HOARDS, IS JUNKANOO FILLIING THIS BILL?

This time of year, Junkanoo beach will do fine.. It's off season and you can move down the beach if you don't like the crowd.

Get off the ship, exit thru festival place, walk right along the wharf, make a left at Senor Frogs and keep walking around the hilton to the beach.

secluded beaches are NOT a good idea in Nassau.. we have too much crime outside the tourist corridor.

thanks for the quick replies.

yes, i am a hypocrite for taking cruise then asking for isolated beaches.

but i am with sturdy, hearty travelers and crime is not a worry for my group.

Non-crowds, non tourists. I am not wedded to staying close, if, for instance, Cable beach, would also fill the bill.

I want to thank for your last quick response.

Non-crowds, non tourists. I am not wedded to staying close, if, for instance, Cable beach, would also fill the bill.

Cable Beach is fine, it's not out of the tourist area.. it IS the largest tourist area that we have in nassau.

I must add - hurricane Sandy created a serious erosion problem (mostly exposed coral rock) on most of these beaches.. the public beaches have not been addressed. Hotel beaches were put back in place, as much as mother nature would allow.

Sheraton charges $30 for the use of their facility and the beach.. it's a good call.

I didn't really care for Nassau either. The last cruise we did though we did Blue Lagoon Island, just the beach day and really enjoyed that. It is similar to the cruise lines private islands but you have to pay for access. It was fun and would do it again.

I have no idea why people say they can't find anything to do in Nassau and it's so terrible. Yes, if you stay right in the port area and think the only thing to do is walk to the straw market...you won't see much of Nassau. It has some of the most beautiful water if you just get out there in it.

Last time we were there we took the Stuart Cove's Ultimate Snorkel Excursion, and once we got out in the water, it was just beautiful and there were tons of very colorful and different kinds of fish.

Get out there and do something (besides Atlantis) and see what it has to offer.

Funny we have been in Nassau 2 times and in Feb will be going for the 3rd time. The first time we rented a scooter and drove all over the island. We saw where the "locals" lived. We saw the real Nassau. We did get by Atlantis, although impressive I wouldn't pay money to go see it. The second time we just decided to do our own walking tour. It was great and fun. This time we are doing a private Segway tour out in the "sticks".

I haven't yet felt unsafe in Nassau. Now Jamaica, I wouldn't get off the ship for. That's the only island I felt unsafe at. Be there once that was enough for me.

So I'm guessing... Since this is my first cruise ever... Nassau will be good to take in the history aspect of it (since I'm a world history buff)... Not only can I see Hard Rock from the ship, but I could walk there in a brief time (Visiting all the HRC's is a travel hobby)... And for my following cruises, scratch it off my list? LoL

Archived