Labadee, The best port ever. Pics too...

whitshel

• 1 month later...
The Cabanas look like HEAVEN!!! Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!

We were just there in November and had a Standard Cabana on Barefoot Beach. It was private enough even though it was right on the sand and not over the water. Hubby developed a bad knee the day before we left so we couldn't do the hilltop or climb stairs to the OTW. Barefoot Beach has more rocks/shells when entering the water but the atmosphere is nice and peaceful, suite guests only, and we had splurged on a Grand Suite for this cruise.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in Barefoot Beach, here's a map of the cabanas (we had S1) and a few pictures looking back from the water. Cabanas are exactly the same as the Nellie's cabanas pictured in the beginning of this post, and I'd try Nellie's OTW next time, just to compare the location. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the cabanas.

Barefoot Beach Map

DSCN5623_zps38621bff.jpg

Barefoot Beach W1 far left through W4 closest to me in the photo

DSCN5912_zpse8e7c3a8.jpg

Barefoot Beach W5 and W6 with a hilltop visible above them and B2 off to the left, right on the sand.

DSCN5947_zpsbeefe0d2-1.jpg

Our view from S1 right inside the gate of Barefoot Beach, sidewalk next to us on one side, rocks and trees on the other side.

DSCN5927_zpsf0ce8c3c.jpg

The rocky shoreline of Barefoot Beach, more rocky on the right side, less on the left side near W5 and W6

DSCN5910_zpsc4a4b596.jpg

We're going on our first cruise in May on the allure. I'm trying to figure out what to do in our ports. These cabanas sound and look amazing. I doubt hubby and I will be able to do one but maybe next time. Has anyone had any great excursion experiences in Libadee? We are the adventurous type but also love food and shopping. Our plan is to have one of our ports just be a relax and lay around day. Just trying to figure out which one would be best for that. Going to Falmouth, Libadee, and Cozumel.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We're going on our first cruise in May on the allure. I'm trying to figure out what to do in our ports. These cabanas sound and look amazing. I doubt hubby and I will be able to do one but maybe next time. Has anyone had any great excursion experiences in Libadee? We are the adventurous type but also love food and shopping. Our plan is to have one of our ports just be a relax and lay around day. Just trying to figure out which one would be best for that. Going to Falmouth, Libadee, and Cozumel.

If you want one port to lie around I'd pick Labadee as there are not much to do there. You cannot go off exploring as you are pretty much confined to RCI's compound. The shopping area can be fun to spend some time at. As for excursions, there are wave runners, a zip line, a water slide, and a coaster to ride. As for great excursion experiences at Labadee, I don't think there are any.

This is just my opinion. I know others think Labadee is the greatest place to visit. I, however, do not as I like to go off exploring places and meeting the locals.

If you want one port to lie around I'd pick Labadee as there are not much to do there...

Thanks. I know we do want to do a zip line but we're trying to decide between the one in Falmouth and the one in Libadee. I hear stories both ways when it comes to zip lines. Some day it was short and not worth the $ others say it was their favorite. So idk...

We had a cabana this time, but on our first trip to Labadee we did the Cultural Tour offered by RC. It was a boat ride to another little beach, a tour through the woods and up a hill to a place where locals showed us how to make coffee, peanut butter, and a few other things plus there was a craft market up there. All the money (I assume) goes to the locals when you buy things there. Everyone was friendly, not pushy, and the beach was nice. Wish we'd had a little more time to swim though. Our tour was at 1pm I think, and they rushed us out of the water to get back on the boat for the ride back to the ship. I think you could skip the actual tour and just swim there, but we wanted to see what the locals had to tell us. We enjoyed the excursion.

Here are my Facebook photos (public link) and the excursion photos are partway through the album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150864133426475.389762.557221474&type=1&l=bf6ecc92fa

Gorgeous pictures! Love Labadee

Guess I am one of the few that don't get the obsession with the cabanas. Why anyone would want to be on a pile of rocks and have to walk down stairs and crawl down a ladder to get to the beach is beyond me. I go to the beach to feel sand b/t my toes! I know people love them and the cruise lines are making a killing with them, but just something I would never be interested in, especially ones on the rocks. Our friend rented one on the beach at Nellie's and they are with us on Jewel, so will be interesting to see what that is like when we visit them. They invited us to "share" with them, but we declined. I want to sit on the beach, not in a hut enclosed on 3 sides.

I agree. I had actually planned on getting a cabana until I saw the pictures. I thought it would be a real beach cabana - not on top of rocks and pretty much closed in like they are. :(

I agree. I had actually planned on getting a cabana until I saw the pictures. I thought it would be a real beach cabana - not on top of rocks and pretty much closed in like they are. :(

Ours was right on the sand, facing out to the beach. I liked it because it was a little bit private, the couch was comfy and we had a cabana boy to get the drinks. Just a little more pampering during a week of pampering. Not sure we'll do it again, but it was fun one time.

Ours was right on the sand, facing out to the beach. I liked it because it was a little bit private, the couch was comfy and we had a cabana boy to get the drinks. Just a little more pampering during a week of pampering. Not sure we'll do it again, but it was fun one time.

That would be the one I want!!

That would be the one I want!!

The cabana does have a floor, in the covered and in the uncovered area but the sand is right next to you. Just wanted to clarify that because even when you're on the lounger, you have wood under you, not sand.

Here's how a Standard Cabana on Barefoot Beach looks (this is S1 on the right side as you come in the gate):

LabadeeWendy_zpse722a85a.jpg

There are new bed-like cabanas on Adrenaline Beach, with fabric sides. A friend of mine posted this photo on Facebook, I didn't see them personally and not sure if you rent them or just use them.

AdrenalineCabana_zps09cefe95.jpg

We did the "new" water slide in 2012.

We were there the first week it opened in July.

It was made well, a nice concrete stair climb up the hill.

Quik shower area

Attendant on top to monitor

You get on the slide like any water slide and sit and push off.

You start going down and suddenly you stop mid slide. mmmm

You push and get going and slowly go down

The sides of the slide are high and you cannot overlook and see much.

You end up in a man made holding tank at the end

Ok

We will do again.

Same thing happens, you get stuck, our whole family in the same spot.

Ok

That was two years ago and in our opinion it was a waste of money.

There is never a line and for the service it provides and it should be FREE

Save your money

Sea Ya

We did the "new" water slide in 2012.

We were there the first week it opened in July........

I saw the slide when we were there but did not try it. I was not impressed with what I saw. Thanks for the confirmation of what I thought.

Anyone have any info on those new bed-cabanas on Adreneline Beach? I've seen those on other beaches in the caribbean - typically, you rent them by the hour - like an umbrella. I don't see them online?

Someone on Trip Advisor posted the following (with a photo) but didn't mention the cost, although you could message them to find out - http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147306-d150230-r188928779-Labadee-Haiti.html#UR188928779.

“Cabana was worth the money”

4 of 5 starsReviewed December 29, 2013 NEW

My husband and I have been coming to Labadee, Haiti for many years. Royal Caribbean has made some amazing improvements over those years. In December 2013 we visited with our children and two grandchildren (ages 6 and 3). We rented one of the new cabanas on Adrenaline Beach. It was definitely worth the extra cost. We had often staked out a few chairs in the shade on the beach only to have late comers crowd around us where we couldn't even get out of our chairs or move them to follow the shade as the day went by. The cabana gave us some space and the ability to move the drapes to provide shade. The cabana attendant was helpful with providing information and drinks. The cabana came with services of the cabana attendant, an ice chest with bottled water, 2 mats and towels. Restrooms and eating facilities were a short walk away. The cabanas are NOT isolated or on a private beach. Others may put their chairs on the beach. However, the lack of shade on the rest of the beach caused it to be less densely populated. There are a few things RCCL could provide that would have resulted in an excellent rating. A pan of water to wash the sand off your feet before you climb onto the cushions would have been nice and a way to better attach the bottom of the drapes to keep them from blowing and provide better shade (Velcro?) would have been welcomed. We will definitely rent a cabana again on our next trip.

Edited by janeyzee

We skipped the cabana. (chose to direct those funds elsewhere)

We went to Columbus Cove. There was a larger ship coming into port a little later than us, so we staked our claim early. No problems being crowded. It was gorgeous. This was my view:

ImageUploadedByForums1388962712.643158.jpg.e158a3e944315a1218041698ef912e38.jpg

I was wondering if you have to sign up for the zip line before you get to Labadee or if there is somewhere on the island to sign up for excursions?

I would definetly sign up for the zip line thru RCI site before you sail so you get the time you want, and also to guarantee yourself a spot.

Sometimes the afternoon winds are too strong and cancellations occur.

When we did it we booked the 2nd run, got bumped upto the first one and had the time of our lives, and had the rest of the day to enjoy swim, eat, play volleyball, snorkel, eat..........visit the vendors.

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

Thank u all! We are trying to decide what to do while in port. There are 2 in our family that do not meet the weight requirement so trying to decide if the rest of us want to zip line or find something that all 5 of us can do together.

Inside. Sorry its a bit messy.... There is a switch for the ceiling fan and 2 outlets to charge your phone or camera. Or I guess you can bring your boombox...:D (Left side of pic)

As has been stated you do get a cooler with 3 large bottles of Evian water, 4 beach mats per cabana and beach towels. Well our beach towels didn't make it til after lunch but they did finally make it.

Cool pics. We're going in Nov. Do the cabanas come with snorkel stuff or do you have to go elsewhere to rent it? Thanks.

Thank you all for the photos and information re Labadee! I don't 'chat' much but really appreciate your experiences! Guess that make's me more of a 'lurker' from what I've read on other threads. We're on the Quantum 3/1/2015 but have already made an over the water cabana reservation at Nellie's. One advantage of making a reservation a year away is that you can spread out the costs of excursions over time. We'll sign up for the zip line next month.

We're still new to RCI having just one cruise on the Allure this past Christmas.