Alternative short term luggage storage at St Pancras?

Tobysmum

Hoping someone will be able to help us with our luggage query. We are traveling on Eurostar to Paris in May, after a cruise on QM2. We will probably have 3 hours or so to kill to look around the station and surrounding area, and wonder is there an alternative to the very expensive luggage storage that is available at the station. We will have 2 large suitcases, and 2 carry-ons to store, and the charge of 8 pounds per piece is very expensive. There doesn't seem to be a per hour fee.

Does anyone know of any alternatives?

Many thanks.

The left luggage at most London stations and airports is run by one company so they have a virtual monopoly.

Have a look here for an alternative using lockers. They have a place not far from St Pancras station. I am not sure if they have a minimum storage period.

Get an online quote and see if it helps. Do come back and let us know if you find out anything as it may help others in the same situation.

The left luggage at most London stations and airports is run by one company so they have a virtual monopoly.

Have a look here for an alternative using lockers. They have a place not far from St Pancras station. I am not sure if they have a minimum storage period.

Get an online quote and see if it helps. Do come back and let us know if you find out anything as it may help others in the same situation.

Hi Carol

Thanks for the link. I've just a had a look and unfortunately the nearst depot at Camden is a 28 minute walk from the station! We'll be using a hire car and driver from the ship to London and if he drops us and our luggage off, it would take us too long to get back to train. We have read that the station itself is well worth a visit and a look around, and I was hoping that the station would have luggage lockers that charge by the hour (as is the case in most international airports and stations).

Oh well, back to the drawing board....:p

I was hoping that the station would have luggage lockers that charge by the hour (as is the case in most international airports and stations).

Oh well, back to the drawing board....:p

Most left luggage facilities on the UK rail network were removed many years ago because of the terrorist threat (mostly from the IRA in those days), as were rubbish (trash) bins. Luggage left in the manned facilities run by Excess Baggage may be X-rayed and searched. Sometimes you will find nearby businesses that offer a competing service - I don't know of one at St Pancras, I'm afraid.

You may come across the idea of using the British Library just down the road, which has lockers, but be aware they only now accept 'cabin size' bags - I think this is also true of other museums.

You could try approaching one of the nearby hotels, I suppose.

Most left luggage facilities on the UK rail network were removed many years ago because of the terrorist threat (mostly from the IRA in those days), as were rubbish (trash) bins. Luggage left in the manned facilities run by Excess Baggage may be X-rayed and searched. Sometimes you will find nearby businesses that offer a competing service - I don't know of one at St Pancras, I'm afraid.

You may come across the idea of using the British Library just down the road, which has lockers, but be aware they only now accept 'cabin size' bags - I think this is also true of other museums.

You could try approaching one of the nearby hotels, I suppose.

Oh, ok that makes sense. I hadn't considered the terrorism angle - I think we're pretty insulated 'down under'! I haven't been to Europe in quite a few years and hadn't realized how things have changed - sadly it would seem.

I guess well pay up and be thankful that we're being protected from terrorism.

Thanks for the heads up.

Archived