Packing Camera Gear for Cruise

Twintowngirl

Dave, on our recent cruise the folks that taught our iMovie Class recommended this site as well. Do you have a recommendation on a particular jacket you may have bought from them.

Thanks,

Keith

I have THIS VEST in charcoal and have just about worn it out.

We are going to do an Alaska trip this fall and I will be ordering ONE OF THESE to take along. I am fascinated by the removable sleeves.

Great travel-wear!

Dave

I have THIS VEST in charcoal and have just about worn it out.

We are going to do an Alaska trip this fall and I will be ordering ONE OF THESE to take along. I am fascinated by the removable sleeves.

Great travel-wear!

Dave

My husband and I also have the vest.Was great when we took a flight to Europe with changing planes and when getting off the cruise each day. Kept everything needed n the vest. So much easier to have the vest with many items in it than to worry about what is loose in the container that goes through x-ray. We bought the Transformer jhacket, but haven't used it yet for a trip.

I'm getting a new DSLR with 18-136 lens. Hoping it will fit easily in the vest.

Dave posts very good info here. I bought a Scottevest a couple of years ago and took it on our New England and recent Carribean cruise. It is really neat to have all of the options in the various pockets. I will be taking it on our upcoming Eastern Med Cruise.

Dave, once again Thanks! for the great info shared here!

• 2 weeks later...

I travel for photography often. I have attended photo workshops all over the world. I usually shoot with big DSLRs and big wide and long lenses. I am trying to go a little lighter for my upcoming cruise this summer so I am thinking of going with micro 4/3 camera as the lenses are small and light.

I transport my camera gear in a small roller bag that fits in the overhead of all international flights but that always stays in the room or cabin locked up and sometimes locked to an immovable object. I often pack my clothing in camera bags as packing cubes in my suitcase. I travel in a ScottEVest but in hot summer weather even the tropical weight one is too warm for daytime sight seeing.

One trick to prevent condensation on the camera is to keep it in a ziplock bag in your room and when you go out the water droplet will form outside the bag and not on the camera and you can take it out and shoot without fogging up, They make very large bags too.

...One trick to prevent condensation on the camera is to keep it in a ziplock bag in your room and when you go out the water droplet will form outside the bag and not on the camera and you can take it out and shoot without fogging up, They make very large bags too.

I use a reptile habitat heater in my bag overnight to keep the equipment toasty.

41ebvqtcLFL.jpg

It keeps the cameras and lenses at about 90° so when you leave the cool room for the steamy tropics, the camera is already warm and you can start shooting immediately.

Only draws a few watts and never gets too hot.

Dave

Archived