Jet Skis and Currency questions

sjacobs146

My dh would like to ride on Jet Skis while in St. Maarten. Any recommendations on where to rent from? I assume we'll do this at Orient Beach.

I just read on another post that a restaurant on Orient Beach would not take Visa, only cash because St. Maarten is on the euro. Should I plan on bringing some euros with me? I'm a bit surprised because I've used my credit card abroad with no issues before. I do have Amex if that makes a difference.

My dh would like to ride on Jet Skis while in St. Maarten. Any recommendations on where to rent from? I assume we'll do this at Orient Beach.

I just read on another post that a restaurant on Orient Beach would not take Visa, only cash because St. Maarten is on the euro. Should I plan on bringing some euros with me? I'm a bit surprised because I've used my credit card abroad with no issues before. I do have Amex if that makes a difference.

Whether or not any company will take a credit card is simply a matter of the policy of that particular company and has nothing to do with the type of currency. On the French side of St Martin (this would include Orient Beach) many things are priced in Euros (the official currency) but the reality is that just about everyone uses US dollars. Most places will post their exchange rate which can range from a bargain 1:1 to about $1.30 per Euro (still a pretty decent rate). We just spent 2 weeks on the French side and I did take some Euros along on the trip. In the end, we never used any Euros because the exchange rates on dollars was always favorable.

When it comes to using credit cards on the island there are a few issues. Some merchants will agree to submit the credit card in dollars thus avoiding any foreign exchange fee. If you use most credit cards (Capitalone is an exception) and are billed in Euros you are going to be assessed a foreign exchange fee. Most credit card companies charge about 3% for foreign transactions (including AMEX). There are also quite a few restaurants and merchants on the island who will give you a big discount for paying in cash with US dollars. For example, there is one excellent French restaurant in Grand Case who gives a 1:1 rate (everything on the menu is priced in Euros) for paying with US dollar cash. But if you use a credit card you would pay the full Euro cost......so the savings by paying cash are more then 30%.

Hank

We've rented twice at Great Bay and used a credit card each time.

<snip>

When it comes to using credit cards on the island there are a few issues. Some merchants will agree to submit the credit card in dollars thus avoiding any foreign exchange fee. If you use most credit cards (Capitalone is an exception) and are billed in Euros you are going to be assessed a foreign exchange fee. Most credit card companies charge about 3% for foreign transactions (including AMEX).

<snip>

We had a problem with our main credit cards, both Visa - because of the United Airlines miles program, when they charged the 3% foreign exchange fee even when our St. Maarten jeweler explicitly charged us in US Dollars through his New York service center.

They claimed that it was a Foreign Transaction.

We now use Capitol One exclusively when traveling outside the US.

gary

Archived