Celebrity Infinity - Oct 24 2013 - T/A Harwich to Miami - Pied Piper sailing

Petert102

Hi Peter, thanks so much for the detailed reply. I think I will contact Pied Piper and see about the possibilities...

I especially like the possibility of getting a PP dining table. On both of my previous Celebrity cruises my sister, her husband, and I have had to change the pre-assigned table after the first night due to a variety of compatibility issues. The first one was easy because we'd made some FOD friends already at the CC sail away and when they heard they asked us to join their table -- which was much, much more fun!

I will also try to reach out here as you have suggested -- although I tend to lurk in these sort of forums :-)

As for Al-Bustan... it is still here. They still make, IMHO, the best mutabbal and shanklish to be found in Amman! I look forward to your stories of Amman in the 80s and your reasons for being here; I only came to work in Jordan for the first time in 2001, when it was a much different place than when you knew it.

Much obliged,

Chris

We have 14 nights, so a "simpatico" dinner table is "ABSOLUTELY" essential. We all look forward to having you join us on this trip.

So glad to hear that Al Bustan is still going strong, yes I concur with your gastronomic opinion. During another life, I usd to be head of Supply Chain Management at Inter Continental Hotels in New York. Visited Amman for about ten days during a systems implementation to review the progress of my staff member, I was there in the middle of winter ( it was freezing ) it was a busy trip, so alas did not see much of the country, but I do remmber a very warm welcome from the local folks and Al Bustan for great lunches.

Spent time also in Saudi. Riyadh and Taif - Bahrain - Emirates, Dubai and Al Ain and best of all Oman in Muscat

If you are unable to join the PP Group. we have found an effective way of avoiding getting stuck in a "difficult" table, s before you sail, to find the Maitre D' discreetly off a $ 20.00 bill and request a table with only "Gentlemen", it has always worked wonders for us. Good Luck

Remember, this week is the July 4 week and most of the country is running at low ebb, so it could take a few days for you to get a reply from Pied Piper to assign your booking to them

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Hi everyone,

I have booked the Infinity TA for 24 Oct directly through Celebrity... not through Pied Piper. Am traveling solo and do not think that I know anyone else on this cruise (am also new to CC so do not know if I "know" anyone here either :)).

Am quite a cruising newbie...Have only been on 2 previous cruises, both with Celebrity (5 day and 7 day in the Caribbean)... so not sure what to really expect for a 14 day TA... But, am really looking forward to so much down-time! But, am also a social creature and am hoping to make some good friends on board to share the experience.

Can one participate/"tag along" in any PP events if not booked through them?

All the best,

Chris

Hi Chris, welcome aboard! I see that Peter has already given you great advice about Pied Piper and otherwise. If you are so inclined to do so, and are able to transfer your reservation to PP, you will then be able to eat dinner with the PP folks (late seating) and join the various PP social events.

In any event, Eileen and I look forward to meeting you on board.

Judith

PS: Peter: I've been told by Bruce himself that he will be our host for this trip. He did a great job on our last TA. (Need to brush up on truly obscure Broadway musical trivia. :))

Hi Chris, welcome aboard! I see that Peter has already given you great advice about Pied Piper and otherwise. If you are so inclined to do so, and are able to transfer your reservation to PP, you will then be able to eat dinner with the PP folks (late seating) and join the various PP social events.

In any event, Eileen and I look forward to meeting you on board.

Judith

PS: Peter: I've been told by Bruce himself that he will be our host for this trip. He did a great job on our last TA. (Need to brush up on truly obscure Broadway musical trivia. :))

Judith Hon !!!

We are all "Family" we were all indoctrinated in Broadway Show Tunes in our Mama's womb !!!

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Judith Hon !!!

We are all "Family" we were all indoctrinated in Broadway Show Tunes in our Mama's womb !!!

Hugz

Peter

Indeed, and when it comes to Broadway show tunes, I am a gay men trapped in a lesbian's body! :)

Even so --- Bruce hosted a show tunes trivia game that really reached deep into obscurity! :eek: :) (It was still fun!)

Hi Peter, Judith, and everyone --

Thanks, Peter, for the information about Pied Piper's groups. I contacted them and during the course of the last couple of days was able to cancel my Celebrity direct booking and re-book the same stateroom with PP. Derek at PP also gave me a better rate than I had gotten from X directly!

It was a little more complicated than expected because I had already paid Celebrity in full -- which prevents transferring the existing booking. Had to cancel the trip and now wait for X to credit my visa... but, all-in-all, was a smooth process.

I will thus be a PP group member now! Much obliged for the advice!

Best,

Chris

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask some more advice from those of you with more cruising experience on Celebrity. This is about the beverage packages.

I do not drink a lot of alcohol generally, so planned to just get the Premium non-alcohol package and then pay per drink for any alcohol I might want.... However, I can't find any information about the prices per drink at the bars/restaurants on the X ships. The various packages talk about "up to $8" or "up to $12" per drink and incremental discounts on wine by the bottle. By my calculation, the "Classic" package would thus cover approximately +/- 5 $8 drinks per day... which is way more than I ever consume...

But, not knowing the per purchase prices, I cannot determine whether or not I will spend more with this option than if I get the package...

Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks, Peter, for the information about Pied Piper's groups. I contacted them and during the course of the last couple of days was able to cancel my Celebrity direct booking and re-book the same stateroom with PP. Derek at PP also gave me a better rate than I had gotten from X directly!

It was a little more complicated than expected because I had already paid Celebrity in full -- which prevents transferring the existing booking. Had to cancel the trip and now wait for X to credit my visa... but, all-in-all, was a smooth process.

Best,

Chris

Congratulations on joining us at the PP Group.

On the day that you board, before you sail, you can buy the non alcohol drink package, as the prices change regularly, why not wait til you board to look at the drinks prices and decide then. We actually pay as we go and have never had an issue....on the other hand if you are planning to consume gallons then your final bill could become an issue.

Are you planning to stay in London beforehand ? we will be at the Marble Ach Thistle for three nights which is right over the City of Quebec

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask some more advice from those of you with more cruising experience on Celebrity. This is about the beverage packages.

I do not drink a lot of alcohol generally, so planned to just get the Premium non-alcohol package and then pay per drink for any alcohol I might want.... However, I can't find any information about the prices per drink at the bars/restaurants on the X ships. The various packages talk about "up to $8" or "up to $12" per drink and incremental discounts on wine by the bottle. By my calculation, the "Classic" package would thus cover approximately +/- 5 $8 drinks per day... which is way more than I ever consume...

But, not knowing the per purchase prices, I cannot determine whether or not I will spend more with this option than if I get the package...

Can anyone advise on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris - great that you were able to rebook with PP, *and* get a better price as well. Win-win!

The question you have asked about the beverage packages comes up often on the main Celebrity board. Here's a link to the most recent page of the "drink prices" question, which will give you some sense of the prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38906833&highlight=drink+prices#post38906833

As Peter says, you can book the beverage packages on board, so you could wait till then to decide.

I don't consume that much alcohol; I had the premium non-alcohol pkg on our last TA and really enjoyed having it. I think that for any of the beverage packages, Celebrity makes money on most pax if you just look at things mathematically. However, we found that there is a great intangible value to having a package and not nickel and diming yourself over a bottle of San Pellegrino at each meal or trying a different drink if you didn't like the first one, grabbing a can of soda from a bar before you return to your cabin, not having to sign chits, etc. The beverage package practically turns the cruise into an "all inclusive," which definitely adds to the enjoyment. And on this upcoming TA, particularly with 7 sea days in a row, and 25-hour days..... :)

Hi Chris - great that you were able to rebook with PP, *and* get a better price as well. Win-win!

The question you have asked about the beverage packages comes up often on the main Celebrity board. Here's a link to the most recent page of the "drink prices" question, which will give you some sense of the prices:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38906833&highlight=drink+prices#post38906833

As Peter says, you can book the beverage packages on board, so you could wait till then to decide.

I don't consume that much alcohol; I had the premium non-alcohol pkg on our last TA and really enjoyed having it. I think that for any of the beverage packages, Celebrity makes money on most pax if you just look at things mathematically. However, we found that there is a great intangible value to having a package and not nickel and diming yourself over a bottle of San Pellegrino at each meal or trying a different drink if you didn't like the first one, grabbing a can of soda from a bar before you return to your cabin, not having to sign chits, etc. The beverage package practically turns the cruise into an "all inclusive," which definitely adds to the enjoyment. And on this upcoming TA, particularly with 7 sea days in a row, and 25-hour days..... :)

As ever Judith, great pearls of wisdom, never thought of the convenience factor of being able to have San Pellegrino on demand, think I will purchase the package when I am on board, afterall we will be getting the Celebrity Elite's drink tickets as I am sure that there will be too many Elites onboard to have nightly free drinks, Paul sips like a sparrow so I am sure I will be able to consume many of his tickets, then there will be the Celebrity Elite Parties, not to mention Pied Pipers parties, so will not need to purchase too many alc drinks

Mega Hugz and Happy July 4

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Best,

Chris

Great news. Look forward to meeting.

Russ

Hey Chris: Tom and I welcome you. We, too, are new to Pied Piper. This group seems great. We are so looking forward to this TA!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Tom and Michael

Paul, Howard and I have decided that we will be making out UK hotel rwservations at the Thistles in the middle of next month. You did ask us to let you know when we planned to do them. Hopefully we will see you Guys at the Shrine of the City of Quebec, Howard and Paul are looking forward to meeting the cute little Accolytes there in the sacred Grotto

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Chris

What are your pre-cruise plans, will you be going directly from the Airport to Harwich or spending a few days in London. Paul, Howard and I ( New York ) plus Tom and Michael ( Rhode Island ) will be in London, at the Marble Arch Thistle Hotel which is located right on top of the City of Quebac, while Judith and Eileen will be in Harwich, ( we will have the poor dears on a suicide watch as it is terminally dull in Harwich ) !!!!! At the end of our voyage, we will be going directly home to New York, I imagine you will be visiting the flesh pots of Fort Lauderdale before flying back to the sands.

Mega Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Chris

What are your pre-cruise plans, will you be going directly from the Airport to Harwich or spending a few days in London. Paul, Howard and I ( New York ) plus Tom and Michael ( Rhode Island ) will be in London, at the Marble Arch Thistle Hotel which is located right on top of the City of Quebac, while Judith and Eileen will be in Harwich, ( we will have the poor dears on a suicide watch as it is terminally dull in Harwich ) !!!!! At the end of our voyage, we will be going directly home to New York, I imagine you will be visiting the flesh pots of Fort Lauderdale before flying back to the sands.

Mega Hugz

Peter

I am glad to know you are still remembering to think about us up there in Harwich. :)

Judith

Lol. I was tempted to stay in Harwich. But I feel Father Peter is requiring an extended novena in London. There will be a prie dieu at the Quebec with my name on it. Seigneur! More engaging than Harwich I think!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I will be staying in London for two nights before transferring to Harwich on 10/24.

I used Priceline and got a room at the Best Western, The Cromwell for $105 per night. It claims to be a 4 star hotel but from the reviews and pictures, I think that 3 1/2 is more realistic.

The hotel is located on the other side of Hyde Park from where Peter, Paul and Howard will be staying. Doesn't look to be too long a walk to the City of Quebec.

In two weeks, I'm headed to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. Looking forward to that.

See you all soon!

Glenn

I will be staying in London for two nights before transferring to Harwich on 10/24.

I used Priceline and got a room at the Best Western, The Cromwell for $105 per night. It claims to be a 4 star hotel but from the reviews and pictures, I think that 3 1/2 is more realistic.

The hotel is located on the other side of Hyde Park from where Peter, Paul and Howard will be staying. Doesn't look to be too long a walk to the City of Quebec.

In two weeks, I'm headed to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise. Looking forward to that.

See you all soon!

Glenn

Glenn

IT IS a long walk. The trouble with London, is that the public transport system shuts down obscenely early and cabs require a Mortgage, that is if you can get them to go from A to B late night.

Having said that, you will be happy to hear that there is a Night Bus that goes from Marble Arch to where you stay, so you will be able to join us in the sacred Grotto of the Shrine of Our Lady of Quebec to offer Novenas !!!!!

I am green with envy, I have always wanted to do an Alaska cruise, alas Paul refuses to go as he says he is not genetically programmed for Rustic Vacations, although what is rustic about a cruise Ship is beyond me. He is not impressed with wild life like whales, bears etc, which he thinks should stay in National Geographic Magazine articles

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Just so you guys know, there is also a Shrine in Harwich, and it's in our hotel. :)

Clearly you Gals are into rustic Folks who inhabit the hinterlands. In the UK you will be able to spot them easily as they all wear TWEED Outfits and have booming loud voices that would put the Infinity's fog horns to shame !!!!! and they all drink copious amounts of Gin. As the french say "Bonne Chase" or good hunting !!!!

Any way, good to know that you Gals will be able to enjoy yourselves in Harwich, as a result of this wonderful news, I have cancelled the suicide watch effective

immediately

Hugz

Peter

Edited by Petert102

Glenn

I am green with envy, I have always wanted to do an Alaska cruise, alas Paul refuses to go as he says he is not genetically programmed for Rustic Vacations, although what is rustic about a cruise Ship is beyond me. He is not impressed with wild life like whales, bears etc, which he thinks should stay in National Geographic Magazine articles

Hugz

Peter

First ... Glenn: have a fantastic time in Alaska. I see that you've been there before, so you already know how beautiful it is. To this day, one of our favorite trips remains the ten days we spent driving around the Alaskan interior before a one-week Alaska cruise.

Second. . . Peter, we are okay with your cancelling the Harwich suicide watch, as we'll be fine with all those rustic folks! :) In fact, tell Paul that in January, we traveled to Antarctica aboard the National Geographic Explorer... and did we see wildlife!!

Here are a few photos I took (among the 7,000 or so):

Adeliemarch1024x678_zps8ba4e0ef.jpg

HumpbackTail1024x715_zps3ececea7.jpg

LeopardSealFace1024x678_zps2d6cce43.jpg

Chinstraps1024x768_zps87f34a01.jpg

(from the top: Adélie penguins, humpback whale, leopard seal, chinstrap penguins)

(photos by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06