Mariner of the Seas 1/13/2013 PHOTO REVIEW

I also set up a massage for my DW while the rest of the family hung out by the pool. The weather was great on Monday although the water was a BIT cold! That didn’t stop my son though as he had a blast sloshing around the water while the ship was rocking. After that big lunch and playing around, we went to relax in the room a bit and get ready for our first formal night.

I have to say, we are not tuxedo and cocktail dress people so I do apologize to the people who find that unacceptable. We are dress and tie people though so we didn’t try to go in with shorts and tank tops either so I hope we get points for that.

For dinner, I had some type of seafood ricotta appetizer (sorry forgot the name), chicken marsala, and tiramisu. All was very good! My DW had roasted garlic soup (her favorite), chicken marsala, and a chocolate mousse cake. As another surprise, I had a birthday cake brought out for dinner for all us as well. We were so full between lunch and dinner that I don’t know how we ate that cake but man it was SO GOOD! They sang happy birthday to my DW which was nice except that I think we heard the happy birthday song about 8 other times that night too. It must have been a popular night to bring out the birthday wishes. It was a great day for her I hope.

Roasted Garlic Soup

IMG_0936.JPG

Ricotta Appetizer

IMG_0937.JPG

Chicken Marsala

IMG_0938.JPG

Waiters Singing for us

IMG_0939.JPG

Chocolate Mousse Cake

IMG_0941.JPG

Tiramisu

IMG_0942.JPG

We were on the same cruise as you. I can see my husband in the picture of the dining room (we had the table to the right of the Captain's table). I was sitting next to DH, but didn't make the picture. Such a beautiful dining room.

We were on the same cruise as you. I can see my husband in the picture of the dining room (we had the table to the right of the Captain's table). I was sitting next to DH, but didn't make the picture. Such a beautiful dining room.

Very cool!

Yes it is a beautiful dining room. This was our first time being on the Deck 4 dining room so the different view was kinda cool.

After taking some picture we actually ended up going back to bed for a few more hours. We didn’t have much planned today as it was our 2nd sea day so we went at our own pace.

After we got up and ready, we headed to Studio B and my DW, son, and SIL all went ice skating for a bit. You can tell by his smiles that he had a good time!

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG

After ice skating, we went back out to the pool and spend another afternoon at the pool. The water was a little warmer today and the boat was rocking pretty good so we had a good time playing out there.

After cleaning up we headed to the schooner bar for what became our ritual of playing trivia whenever we could. We didn’t always win but we always had a great time (we did win a few time though!)

This became his favorite spot to hang out.

IMG_0996.JPG

The show tonight was the Texas Tenors. They apparently won America’s Got Talent a few years ago (hadn’t heard of them) and were very good! They sang a little bit of everything (not all country as would think from their attire) so we really enjoyed the show.

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

For dinner tonight, I had crab cakes and potstickers. DW had steak and 2 lemon tarts. She said the tarts were very good. She mentioned they are like tiny lemon meringue pie.

I really was bad this time not taking pics quick enough. You can see it was obviously good though!

IMG_1012.JPG

Potstickers

IMG_1015.JPG

Steak

IMG_1014.JPG

Lemon Tarts

IMG_1016.JPG

After dinner we went to change for the comedy show and found another towel animal. Dog? Rabbit? Now sure by still very cute.

IMG_1017.JPG

The big screen at night out by the pool

IMG_1019.JPG

The comedy of Jeff Nease was excellent also. It was said to be “late night adult comedy” but he was very clean and very funny. If you were at the show you probably heard my SIL laughing hysterically at everything!

IMG_1022.JPG

After the show it was straight to bed as the next day was our first port, Honduras, and we had a busy day scheduled!

Day 4

Alright let's get this photo review really going! Day 4 was our first port of call; Roatan, Honduras. This is located on an island to the east of the mainland of Honduras. To me, it was very reminiscent of Montego Bay, Jamaica in the small grassy hills and houses around. This was by far the most beautiful port of this trip and the most enjoyable.

We arrived at 8:00am and our excursion was set to meet at 8:45am so we were up early and ready as soon as we hit the dock. These first pics are from our balcony looking out onto the pier, shopping center, and town.

The pier from our balcony

IMG_1024.JPG

Shopping area

IMG_1025.JPG

IMG_1026.JPG

Some of the background hills

IMG_1027.JPG

Very nice taxi/bus pickup/dropoff

IMG_1028.JPG

IMG_1030.JPG

Just an absolutely beautiful port.

These pics are from a feature on our camera called the miniature effect. I'm sure some have seen these but we had a blast taking these pics and then looking at them later.

IMG_1032.JPG

IMG_1033.JPG

IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1035.JPG

It makes the colors very vivid and then focuses a rectangle in the middle of the picture while blurring the top and bottom of that rectangle. Really a fun feature to play around with.

So off the boat we go at 8:00am sharp. We wanted to look around a bit before heading to our meeting place for the excursion. BTW our excursion was the private island beach break at Maya Key. More on that in a bit.

We snapped a few pics, looked in a few shops and headed to the meeting place right beside the ship.

Looking back at the ship.

IMG_1037.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

A perfect day

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1048.JPG

From the ferry boat heading to the private island

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

Maya Key......our first beach day......and definitely our best beach day! This island was so nice with plenty of stuff to do and everyone was very friendly. As you pull up, there is a sea lion/seal habitat with timees for feeding and show and there is a gift shop with some cool things where you can also rent snorkel equipment for $15 and for as long as you want. More on that in a bit.

Our spot we perched upon

IMG_1062.JPG

These monkeys have their own tree to hang out in

IMG_1072.JPG

We also got the opportunity to hold an alligator (blind) and a capuchen monkey also hung out with us.

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Just hangin around

IMG_1080.JPG

Some of the local flora

IMG_1091.JPG

For the lunch included, we had the choice of salad, fried fish, bbq chicken, banana chips, and rice. ALL of it was very good. Even my 5 year-old, who doesn't like fish, ate 3 pieces! It was really a great lunch.

Some of the lunch

IMG_1092.JPG

After lunch we headed back to our spot. Me, my BIL, and SIL rented some snorkel gear and checked out the coral out from the pier.

Pick of a Carnival ship parked at another pier

IMG_1095.JPG

More pics of the beach. Just beautiful water!

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

IMG_1102.JPG

None of us had never been snorkeling before so having this as a starting point was great. We got in a swam around close to the pier for a little bit.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

From the end of the pier looking back at the beach

IMG_1113.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

I have to preface this last picture with my experience. Although you can't tell from the pic itself, the guy with me was a guide that will take you around the reefs and show you around. He grabbed me and said, "follow me". So I did. You also can't tell that we got pretty far out there. I wish I had a waterproof camera as it was beautiful looking down at the coral and the fish swimming all around it. I saw no big fish but I did see something a bit more breathtaking. As we were swimming in and out of some cutouts of the coral we came to an opening..................and it was OPENING!!! I was staring straight down at what I can only assume is part of the shelf of the island. You cold feel the colder water rushing at you and it was a very humbling site. There was a couple that were diving back and forth down the drop-off looking around at everything. Man what a site to see! I wish I could describe it better but it was definitely one of the cooler things I've seen while cruising. I can understand why people like snorkeling at different places.

I also saw a few schools of fish and as I was looking, I realized that I was getting pretty tired. As it was my first time, I didn't want to get too tired and too far from the pier, so I headed back and meet up with the rest of the family. Definitely something I will never forget.

If only you could see under the water

IMG_1119.JPG

Archived