NCL EPIC TRANSATLANTIC Oct. 20th, 2013

aireboy

What kind of temps and weather can we expect? Do we need pants and sweatshirts or will be in shorts and tshirts?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Shorts and T-Shirts!!

This was the view from my Starboard Balcony on deck 13, just got the sunsets as we were heading SW

8158422410_93025a8de3_c.jpg

428 by single_cruiser, on Flickr

Quick question re: Service charges and tipping....

I thought the service charge was a non negotiable item - and that everyone pays 12$ per day - no other options - and that you automatically got charged 15% on every drink.

I have now seen some threads that say you can choose the amount you pay for a service charge - meaning if you only want to pay 10$ per day or if you want to pay more you can. I also saw a thread that says NCL doesn't automatically charge the 15% on drinks?

I am now really confused - and would love to know if any of you know the answers for sure?

I have nothing against tipping - but I don't necessarily like to be forced to tip a certain amount - I would much rather make that decision on my own.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D

I've answered your post in the main roll call.

Auto tips are added to bar purchase.

The $12 a day per person is the recommended amount from NCL to cover the various services (so maybe 3 for your room steward, 3 across all the chefs, 3 across all waiting staff, 0.5 laundry staff etc... ) - we don't know the breakdown.

If you want to change them onboard at guest services they'll ask for a reason and log that on the change. The idea is that if you are unhappy with something they prefer to rectify it onboard, I know some prefer to tip each night at the restaurant (as you may never get the same waiter/waitress twice during a cruise like you do on traditional seated cruise lines).

I've answered your post in the main roll call.

Auto tips are added to bar purchase.

The $12 a day per person is the recommended amount from NCL to cover the various services (so maybe 3 for your room steward, 3 across all the chefs, 3 across all waiting staff, 0.5 laundry staff etc... ) - we don't know the breakdown.

If you want to change them onboard at guest services they'll ask for a reason and log that on the change. The idea is that if you are unhappy with something they prefer to rectify it onboard, I know some prefer to tip each night at the restaurant (as you may never get the same waiter/waitress twice during a cruise like you do on traditional seated cruise lines).

That's perfect - thank you for the quick reply

• 2 weeks later...

Our GTY room has been assigned - i was surprised it was so early - as we still have not paid in full - we have 1 PORT room (yay) and the other is not - but they moved us up form a BX to a BD - which is the one we were going to originally book - glad I save the 500$ :)

Our GTY room has been assigned - i was surprised it was so early - as we still have not paid in full - we have 1 PORT room (yay) and the other is not - but they moved us up form a BX to a BD - which is the one we were going to originally book - glad I save the 500$ :)

Excellent news. I just paid my final balance. I'm looking to sneak a quick week in around the med in September as the prices are really low at the moment!

A couple more questions...

1. Is it worth buying the all you can drink (alcohol) pass?

2. In the gym area - do they have hot tub/sauna/steamroom available - is it all male or co-ed

3. Would you recommend the Spa Pass? I am just concerned about how busy it might get in there - and maybe can't take full advantage of the pass - I have heard mixed reviews.

Thanks in advance

Dana

The drinks package works out better if you have at least 6/7 alcoholic drinks a day and don't want the expensive multi-spirit cocktails.

I saved about $100 on Getaway's TA using it earlier this year. Is beers up to $5.50, wine (up to $10 per glass), std spirit & mixer (not two spirits) and I think a few frozen/cocktails up to about $7 each.

Hot tubs are on the pool deck/Spice H2O. As its kids school holidays at the time of travel I'd imagine quite a few trying to take over the main ones but Spice H2O is adult only..

Sauna/steam room I'm led to believe are within the Spa. I've never been in the Spa so can't comment on that, sure someone else on here has.

Thanks again for the info. What school holiday is at that time of year? We figured there wouldn't be many kids on this cruise. I've obviously missed something. Lol.

UK it's mid-term break (1wk England, 2wks Scotland) so there will be quite a few families but Epic has great teen/kids facilities I've never had any problems.. They are not allowed in Bliss for late night parties or Spice H2O in the day!

Hi Everyone,

We are another gay couple who will joining the Epic on 20 October for the Transatlantic crossing. We've been reading all the posts and it's good to hear that there are some other gay people on board. We look forward to seeing you all at the Friends of Dorothy meetings. And thanks for all the good advice everyone has been giving.

We are aged 37 and 45, from Sydney Australia. We also have another friend joining us on the cruise from the US. It will be our first Transatlantic for all of us.

Chris & Stephen :)

Hi Everyone,

We are another gay couple who will joining the Epic on 20 October for the Transatlantic crossing. We've been reading all the posts and it's good to hear that there are some other gay people on board. We look forward to seeing you all at the Friends of Dorothy meetings. And thanks for all the good advice everyone has been giving.

We are aged 37 and 45, from Sydney Australia. We also have another friend joining us on the cruise from the US. It will be our first Transatlantic for all of us.

G'day guys.

You'll love TransAtlantics, this will be my 4th across, 2nd this year as we took Breakaway across to New York. Lots of 25hr days for extra sleep or drinking and partying and no early port calls :)

I've only got 5 weeks until I'm onboard :) and will sort out the best bar staff for our TA ;)

Hi Everyone,

And I'm that friend from the US! This will be my very first cruise ever... Guess I like going all out in trying something new. A TA for my maiden voyage. Lol. Hope I don't get seasick.

I'll be looking for advice on how best to enjoy my cruise. Can't wait to spend time with my best buddies from down under, but also looking forward to meeting new people. It's gonna be a long and fun cruise!

I'm 43, live in Atlanta, originally from New Jersey. Getting excited for this new adventure.

John

Thanks for the warm welcome Craig!

We've been reading all your posts and it seems like you're a good source of knowledge for all of us.

Just one question we've been wondering about... how do you manage to go two weeks without access to a Laundry? Does it cost a lot to have your clothes washed on board?

Oh, and you said you were on-board in five weeks? Are you doing another cruise before the Transatlantic?

Chris

Thanks for the warm welcome Craig!

We've been reading all your posts and it seems like you're a good source of knowledge for all of us.

Just one question we've been wondering about... how do you manage to go two weeks without access to a Laundry? Does it cost a lot to have your clothes washed on board?

Oh, and you said you were on-board in five weeks? Are you doing another cruise before the Transatlantic?

Chris

I've done a 17-day cruise without needing the laundry. Half my case was filled with underwear, throw in a few pair of shorts for the day and a cpl pairs of trousers for the night and then tops and shirts to my 22KG allowance. Couldn't do it on other lines with dress codes and jackets, tuxes, dress shorts, dress shoes etc. they do a bag deal mid-cruise where you can throw as much in for a fixed amount.

Yep, I'm onboard her "Epic" for a quick week around the med 1st Sept, which means I will have spent 38 days onboard by the time we board for the TA. So there is not much I don't know about her :D

It's a shame she doesn't have a boardwalk type deck like Breakaway which was great to sit, drink and ppl watch but she has a few +s over Breakaway. Will be taking her sister Getaway from Southampton to Miami next Jan.

Any questions ask away...

I've done a 17-day cruise without needing the laundry. Half my case was filled with underwear, throw in a few pair of shorts for the day and a cpl pairs of trousers for the night and then tops and shirts to my 22KG allowance. Couldn't do it on other lines with dress codes and jackets, tuxes, dress shorts, dress shoes etc. they do a bag deal mid-cruise where you can throw as much in for a fixed amount.

Yep, I'm onboard her "Epic" for a quick week around the med 1st Sept, which means I will have spent 38 days onboard by the time we board for the TA. So there is not much I don't know about her :D

It's a shame she doesn't have a boardwalk type deck like Breakaway which was great to sit, drink and ppl watch but she has a few +s over Breakaway. Will be taking her sister Getaway from Southampton to Miami next Jan.

Any questions ask away...

Thanks for the great info Craig. Sounds like you're going to have a great trip!

I really enjoyed going through your photos of your other trips too!

By the way... Have you been on-board for Halloween? Does the ship get into the whole celebration? Wondering if we should pack a costume!?

Chris

Thanks for the great info Craig. Sounds like you're going to have a great trip!

I really enjoyed going through your photos of your other trips too!

By the way... Have you been on-board for Halloween? Does the ship get into the whole celebration? Wondering if we should pack a costume!?

Chris

I was on this cruise last year so on during Halloween. There were a lot of Europeans onboard not really into "Halloween" but quite a few American passengers did. They put some decorations up around the ship and had a party up in Spice/H2O.

I decided not to for the reasons mentioned previously on precious space and weight of the luggage!

Hi John and to anybody else who might be traveling single. I also live in Atlanta. I am not gay, but I am single and will be traveling with my single sister in law . I would like to meet some other singles (straight or gay) that like to dance. We went on a TA last April from Miami to Rome - it was great, but had no one to hang out with in the evenings during our 8 sea days. Karen

Hi Bob,

I am young at heart, but others might think I would probably fit in better with 50-60's age group. Yes, definitely drink socially and have a good time. Getting drunk - now that is not very lady-like! Thanks, Karen

Archived