Carnival Cruise Lines Defends Itself Against Beverage Program Complaint

LauraS

hahahahahaha....and a lol

But, Yogi, you're missing the point: anyone who's gonna kill himself with blood alcohol poisoning is gonna do it regardless of whether there's a plan in place.

And from all posts on here it seems that CCL is the only line that acually has a per day drink limitation. So why not the problem with all of the other lines that don't have a limitation imposed?

CCL has a drink limitation to maximize it's profits, not to limit the number of inebriated people (because once you hit the 15 drink limit they will continue to sell to you as long as you appear to be handling it well).

CCL has a drink limitation to maximize it's profits, not to limit the number of inebriated people (because once you hit the 15 drink limit they will continue to sell to you as long as you appear to be handling it well).

Disagree. CCL has offered the package to maximize it's profits from any who may not reach a $50 per day bar bill. But with the price of drinks being what they are, a moderate drinker can reach $50 in a day with just a few DODs or 2 buckets of beer. It's the requirement that you have to buy it for every day of the sailing which is where they hope to get their money, but the fact remains that they still do limit it when others on here have posted that other lines do not have a limit.

And the fact that they offer it does put the onus on them to watch their step more carefully if they over-serve. This was always something they had to be mindful of, but with the program in place, they still get their $50 for that day and cover themselves for the remainder if they cut off the package.

For those passengers for whom the package makes "financial" sense, it would be dumb of them to risk having it pulled.

Disagree. CCL has offered the package to maximize it's profits from any who may not reach a $50 per day bar bill. But with the price of drinks being what they are, a moderate drinker can reach $50 in a day with just a few DODs or 2 buckets of beer. It's the requirement that you have to buy it for every day of the sailing which is where they hope to get their money, but the fact remains that they still do limit it when others on here have posted that other lines do not have a limit.

And the fact that they offer it does put the onus on them to watch their step more carefully if they over-serve. This was always something they had to be mindful of, but with the program in place, they still get their $50 for that day and cover themselves for the remainder if they cut off the package.

For those passengers for whom the package makes "financial" sense, it would be dumb of them to risk having it pulled.

And if someone is drinking more than 15 a day their profits probably shrink to the point where they don't make money (and they probably expect that a good percentage of their passengers would exceed 15 a day, hence the limit). I still believe that the fact that they will continue to serve, and chage for, drinks number 16 and up supports the conclusion that the limit is there to keep the program profitable. But we're all just guessing anyway because we aren't privy to the numbers.

A important fact is the program covers all your sodas also if you not boozing at the time..

Sent from my Galaxy 3S

ahhhh, i didn't know this. and even a soda card alone would cost nearly as much, wouldn't it? This makes the program an even better value imo.

scratch that -- i just remembered a soda card is about 50-60 for the whole cruise, not per day, lol. but it still is an added bonus to the cheers program for those who drink both!

Yup. Pretty common at a lot of all-inclusive resorts as well. Most people go all out the first couple of days. After 3-4 days of drinking a lot of people slow down a lot or just stop. It seems like a crazy deal but when people start drinking 1-2 drinks the last couple of days that is when the money is made.

There are not a lot of people who can drink 15 drinks a day for 7 straight days.

Besides, Carnival is probably buying beers for less than a $1 each. Their profit margin is huge. Even though you might get over $50 a day in your bar bill, it is not like Carnival is losing money.

To each their own. If you want to consume 15+ drinks a day, Good for you. If you can hold down 15+ drinks a day, more power to you. If you can walk after 15+ drinks a day, Kudos.

At one point in my life I would probably be right there with you. However, I enjoy life 100 times more with having 10-15 drinks total on a seven day cruise. Probably average 2 a day.

To each their own. If you want to consume 15+ drinks a day, Good for you. If you can hold down 15+ drinks a day, more power to you. If you can walk after 15+ drinks a day, Kudos.

At one point in my life I would probably be right there with you. However, I enjoy life 100 times more with having 10-15 drinks total on a seven day cruise. Probably average 2 a day.

exactly! :) and this is why it would make no sense for you to buy it, and you will certainly not be alone, so this is also why it's existence or non-existence really won't affect you.

as PL said, not many can do this at all. and the ones who can are gonna be doing this whether or not the package exists, lol. so for the bulk of the cruising population, it will all come down to each individual passenger crunching the numbers to see if it makes sense to them given the number of sea days/port days, etc.

My Friend got Drunk in Port. Came back on board and went to bed. When she woke up there was a note on her door stating that she was cut off from buying alcahol the rest of her cruise. She still had 4 days to go. Nobody would tell her why or what she did. Her husband did not know either.

Glad to hear you had a good time on your last cruise and also glad to hear Carnival did not impose the 15 drink limit. If I start with a bloody mary or two in the morning by my midnight nightcap....I could be over the limit. It's a vacation......I'm not driving.....I don't get mean! Thank you for your update.

I honestly don't get what the big deal is. I really don't. In my case, I'm not much of a drinker. I may have a chocolate martini at dinner and that's enough for me for the day. I have friends and family that, while on vacation, will drink mimosas and bloody mary's with breakfast, have a some beers during lunch, have a few more drinks around dinner and continue the night at a club with a few more there too. And not be drunk at all...maybe slightly buzzed.

"The average person can eliminate one standard drink per hour (slightly faster for those with tolerance) (http://www.alcohol.vt.edu/21stbirthday/standarddrinks.html.)" Subtract out 8 hours for sleep in a 24 hour period and that leaves you with 16 hours left to drink the day away. 15 drinks in a 16 hour period, can be tolerable in a body.

Is this for everyone? No. It's not for me obviously, since I don't really drink. But for my friends and family, it can be and that's fine. We're on a ship. It's not like I have to be designated driver anyway. :p

Have fun, enjoy your time. But most importantly...be safe!

Archived