PORTUGAL - River Douro cruises

barry3040

laverendrye

Just wondering how you transferred back to Lisbon afer the Uniworld Duro River cruise.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I took the train from Porto to Lisbon. I used the Porto-Campanha station, but most trains to Lisbon also stop at the Vila Nova de Gaia station which is a bit closer to where the ships berth. However the taxi fare Campanha was only €10--it might be a bit less to Vila Nova de Gaia. The Uniworld people should be able to advise you and will arrange the cab for you.

I travelled first class, but there was no checked baggage on the train. I recall that there was adequate room for my large suitcase and a carry-on. The Campanha station does have lockers for suitcases, including large ones. I used one as I had some time to sightsee in Porto before my train left.

Most trains from Porto go to Lisbon-Santa Apolonia which is the most convenient station for central Lisbon. If you take a fast train (AP) the trip is under 3 hours. I think I paid about €40 for a first-class (conforto) ticket. The slower trains (IC) take a bit more than 3 hours and are less expensive.

I hope this is of help.

Herbalsoaplady, If it were me, I would take the train from Porto to Lisbon. European trains are relaxing and comfortable. Most cars have an area at the front or rear where you can stack your bags. I got in the habit of standing near the bags when our train pulls into a station to watch the bags. In Naples we saw a guy try to steal a bag from the train but was stopped by the police.

Fred we are not on the Sept 11 the cabin I wanted was booked.

Thanks for the tip on the train DH has already been advised that his job is to be hovering near the luggage before we reach the station.

Archived