Do you get the sanme service if you buy a package or not.

canary1902

Hello, I have read that the service you receive from buying the package is not as good than if you order drinks seperately. Has anyone found this to be the case. Thanks Susan

Cruise :- Millenium 3rd March 2013

The staff will probably give you better service if your not on a package . They would get more gratuities

Individual drinks would give them gratuities with each drink . Packages only have gratuities on the daily charge.

The staff will probably give you better service if your not on a package . They would get more gratuities

Individual drinks would give them gratuities with each drink . Packages only have gratuities on the daily charge.

I fail to see the logic in the presumption that the packages are bad for gratuities.

If beverage packages generate more beverage revenue for the cruise line

and gratuities are set at 15% of beverage revenues then it follows that sales of bevage packages mean more gratuities to the bar staff and not less.

I'm sure the beverage packages are generating an increase in revenues or else Celebrity would stop offering them. After all they introduced this concept to increase revenues and profits not to decrease them. The only way this doesn't work is if the staff is not receiving the gratuity assessed against the packages.

From what I've read the majority of the staff provide the same excellent service to those with packages as they do to those without. Of course there are always going to be some servers who are worse than others and some people who feel that others are getting better service than them and guess as to the reason.

That doesn't make any sense. If one receives less than stellar service when buying a drink package, it would defeat Celebrity's goal of selling drink packages.

That might happen with a less than stellar server, but I'm sure it would not be the cruiseline's policy. If it were me, I'd report that server.

Harvey

This answer is for the OP and the second post. Thanks Larry.

I have had the packages and at other times not had the packages and have found no difference in the service/ we normally do give some extra tips though. While on the subject of packages I have just rang celebrity and us british are not allowed to get the free package unless we are travelling from a british port however on american sites the packages are available I find this most unfair...rant over still love celebrity though Carol x

With packages the gratuities go into a pool and are shared between all the bar staff . If individually , the bar staff that served you gets the gratuity.

That means individual bar staff can make extra gratuities. If you give extra that will probably go directly to the server. It is a money maker for the cruise line but not the staff.

If you don't drink the equivalent to the amount of the package , the cruise line makes a lot of money.

I did not notice a difference in service between those who had a package and those who did not. However, in talking to a bar tender about the packages he stated that the staff wasn't happy about them because they do lose out on the extra tips. Few people with packages tip extra over the package. I did see some slip the staff cash who had packages on occasion.

I can't speak for all the ships but on Eclipse and Equinox there was no difference in service.

Archived