Hong kong flight home at 23.00hrs baggage problem

canary1902

At the end of our cruise our return flight back to the UK is at 23.00 from Hong Kong. Has anyone any ideas what we can do with baggage or what has anyone else done to fill in the day. I dont fancy sitting at the airport for hours.

Thank you

Susan

Our experience a couple of years ago was that with a similar flight time, we got to the airport around 1900 or so. The ticket counter, where we were to check in and check our bags, didn't even open until 2100 or 2130. We found an uncomfortable bench for an hour or so, then a poor meal at a snack bar outside security for another hour, then finally checked our bags at 2130. At least we were first in line.

If you're spending even one night in Hong Kong post cruise, leave your bags there and don't arrive at the airport any earlier than you really need to.

If you're not staying an extra night, there may be a left luggage facility somewhere near where you dock. Check the destination board? If you can ditch your luggage, there's plenty to do during your day - a ferry to Hong Kong (if you dock in Kowloon) and a tram ride up Victoria Peak, Stanley Market. And the architecture of Hong Kong and Kowloon is spectacular!

At the end of our cruise our return flight back to the UK is at 23.00 from Hong Kong. Has anyone any ideas what we can do with baggage or what has anyone else done to fill in the day. I dont fancy sitting at the airport for hours.

Thank you

Susan

I would go to any large hotel, leave the bags with the doorman then explore Hong Kong, have a nice dinner then have the doorman load you in a taxi.

Or if you have never been to HK consider getting a guide for the day. Although I don't think it's required as HK is very walkable and has great public transportation. Victoria Peak and Stanley are easily accessible.

No reason to just sit at the airport!

Joe

Thank you

Susan

I assume you do not have transfers?

Take the Hong Kong Express train to the airport. Dedictated high speed comfortable train that covers the distance between Hong Kong and the airport in about 20 minutes. There are stations in Kowloon and Central with frequent free buses during the day from hotels to the stations ( which in Kowloons case are away from the main drag). They are dedicated stations not linked to the MTR in both Kowloon and Centrals case.

But they are like mini airport terminals. They have airline check in desks and you can check in and get your boarding pass up to 1 day before your flight. Have used it a few times and you check your luggage in and do not see. I again until your destination. They take it on a train direct to the airport, store it until flight time and its there when you get off at the other end. Magic and your problem solved! All very efficient in a way that puts the Western world to shame ( its similar to the check in the Heathrow Express once had until they got rid of it in a absolutely stupid decision).

Once you check your luggage in and get a boarding pass you can hop onto the free shuttle, go back to your hotel and do some sight seeing. Then get the shuttle back to the station, go to the airport and thro Security. HOWEVER do not check your passports , tickets etc in as you won't see your luggage again. Get the hotel concerge to keep your hand luggage.

Problem solved.

These are the airlines using the check in;

More information on the stations locations, prices and free hotel shuttle pick up.

I am not 100% certain but I think you may have to buy your train ticket to check in at the station ( so the service is not 'free' but only open to actual paying passengers') before you check in.

After sightseeing as well when you go o the airport look into a pay to enter lounge ( there is one) if you don't have lounge access anyway so you can relax and maybe have a shower after a day of waking around Hong Kong. Even look at the cost of getting a day room at the adjoining hotel at the airport.

Have fun.

We had the same dilemma this past December. We disembarked from the Millennium in the morning. Took a taxi to the airport with our luggage. Went to the luggage wrapping station for our polycarbonate cases. Took the wrapped cases to the Cathay Pacific Business Class counter and had them take them for our flight around midnight. We had already checked in online.

We then went to the other terminal to leave our hand luggage at the left luggage area. It was 100 HKD for each bag for 9 hours. We then took the airport express train to Central (buy a round trip ticket) and changed to the Island line to take the ferry to Macau. You can of course stay in Hong Kong.

The luggage storage at the airport made the most sense for us due to our 4 pieces of small hand luggage which we carried on the plane with us.

I am not 100% certain but I think you may have to buy your train ticket to check in at the station ( so the service is not 'free' but only open to actual paying passengers') before you check in.

You must buy the Airport line ticket, HK$100 at Central Station or HK$90 at Kowloon Station, in order to check the luggage at MTR stations because the check-in counters are behind the turnstiles.

as you won't see your luggage again.
Don't worry, the check-in counters are manned by the respective airline employees.

6and6 put it much better than I could have said.

Archived