Hilo Hatties Shuttle to Kihei?

JoJoFace

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the POA port in Maui to Hilo Hatties in Kihei?

If so, how often does the shuttle run?

And can we take the shuttle from Kihei back to the ship, without having actually bought anything at the store?

(I've booked an excursion in Kihei and am trying to find an economical way of getting there and back.)

Thanks!

According to the Hilo Hattie website they have two locations on Maui:

1. Kihue - which is a 20 min. drive from the Kahului port.

2. Lahaina - which is a 40 min. drive from the Kahului port.

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle to either of these locations, and which one (or both)?

If so, how often does it run? Where can we find it when we get off the ship? And can we use it as transportation to Kihue or Lahaina, even if we don't actually shop at Hilo Hattie?

Would love thoughts/advice!

Thank you.

When we were in Maui, HH's shuttle went strictly to where we were docked. There is a shuttle to Lahaina location for ships who call at Lahaina (tender). Shuttles are not going to distant location to accommodate cruise passengers from other locations. For further info why don't you email Hilo Hattie's.

Where are you docking? Kahului or Lahaina?

If Kahului, HH shuttle will take you to Kihei HH. If Lahaina, HH shuttle will take you to Lahaina HH. However.....

Where is your excursion in Kihei? HH Kihei is not near any excursion places, that I know of. What excursion is it, where are you supposed to meet it, address, etc?

We spend three months a year in Kihei; I know Maui very well. Would be happy to give some info and assistance, but first need to know answers to questions above.

Thank you so much for your assistance!

We dock in Kahului (Pride of America). Our "excursion" isn't really an official excursion - we're renting a Can-Am Spyder from the Maui Scooter Shack (1794 S. Kihei Road). We want to pick up the bike around 9AM when we arrive on Sunday, Feb. 24, and we'll be riding the Road to Hana. I was planning on taking a cab to the Scooter Shack to save time. The next morning we will return the bike, and possibly spend the day in Kihei.

I'm wondering if there is a Hilo Hatties shuttle we can take back to the boat on Feb. 25 after we spend some time in Kihei. If so, is it far from the Scooter Shack? How often does it run? Do we need to prove we shopped at Hilo Hatties?

And since you appear to have knowledge of the area, any chance you can recommend a beach for us to spend the day at in Kihei (preferably near the Scooter Shack, though we are happy to take a cab, if it's not too far from there). Or other activities/places to see nearby?

Thanks again!

Thank you so much for your assistance!

We dock in Kahului (Pride of America). Our "excursion" isn't really an official excursion - we're renting a Can-Am Spyder from the Maui Scooter Shack (1794 S. Kihei Road). We want to pick up the bike around 9AM when we arrive on Sunday, Feb. 24, and we'll be riding the Road to Hana. I was planning on taking a cab to the Scooter Shack to save time. The next morning we will return the bike, and possibly spend the day in Kihei.

Do I understand that you will travel from Kahului port to Kihei to pick up a scooter and then head to Hana? You will be crossing the island to get the scooter and then turning around to go back across the island on your Hana journey ??? The earlier start you can get toward Hana, the better.

Also, what time do you dock in Kahului and expect to disembark the ship? Depending on, a 9:00am pick-up in Kihei might be a challenge.

By spending the day in Kihei, meaning at the beach? Otherwise, there's not much "touristy" things to do there. Beach, some shopping at upscale Wailea Gateway Center, and that's about it.

I'm wondering if there is a Hilo Hatties shuttle we can take back to the boat on Feb. 25 after we spend some time in Kihei. There's a HH shuttle running back and forth to the ship in Kahului nearly the entire time the ship in is in port, or until HH closes (8:00pm generally), not running through the night, of course.

Is it far from the Scooter Shack? Definitely not walking distance. HH is in the Pi'ikea Shopping Center next to Safeway at the intersection of Pi'ilani Highway and Pi'ikea Street. Several blocks toward the ocean is South Kihei Road, and once on South Kihei Road, then you need to get to your 1794 address. Need to check an online map to see how far that would be.

How often does it run? Approx every half hour or so, if I recall. Might need to check with HH to get that answer.

Do we need to prove we shopped at Hilo Hatties? Not that I've ever witnessed. Just lots of cruise passengers with their purchases waiting for the shuttle. If anything, all you would need is a cruise card.

And since you appear to have knowledge of the area, any chance you can recommend a beach for us to spend the day at in Kihei (preferably near the Scooter Shack, though we are happy to take a cab, if it's not too far from there). The very popular beaches in Kihei are Kamaole I, Kamaole II and Kamaole III, commonly called "Kam I, II or III". Great beaches, picnic tables, grassy areas, lots of local families on the weekends. Check for them on your online map search also.

Or other activities/places to see nearby? Oh boy! Hard to answer not knowing what your preferences are. Kihei is definitely less "touristy" than some of the other Maui areas. But that's why we like it and spend several months each year. Give me some idea of what you'd like to do.

However, just an FYI, I'm only on this Message Board once a day, so if I don't post right away, I will...eventually.

Thanks again! Happy to help! Glad to answer any questions if I can. But I suggest you check an online map of the Kihei area to see where things are; ie, HH, 1794, Kam beaches.

Aloha :)

JoJo: I think you might need to have some further information regarding your scooter-to-Hana plans. I don't want to sound negative, but....

First of all, riding a scooter across the island is, in my opinion, pretty dangerous. The highway is well traveled with traffic moving quite fast. It's a major multi-lane highway with 55 mph speed limits in areas. A scooter is hard to see, will not keep up, and we've witnessed near-misses with them.

Secondly, in a car, the ONE-WAY drive time from Kihei to Hana is over four hours. It definitely will take longer in an under-powered scooter. The road to Hana is known for all of its hairpin turns and hills, and has many, many blind curves.

Frankly, you might want to re-think it. Again, just my opinion and trying to give honest info.

Thanks to all for your tips, advice and info!

The rental we are getting is not actually a Scooter - it's a high powered 3-wheel motorcycle. In fact, it is probably more powerful than most cars making the trek to Hana. Others have done the trip on the same bike, and it should be fine.

We'll spend the second day in port at a beach in Kihei - thanks for the names of the beaches nearby.

Two weeks 'till we're in Hawaii- can't wait!

Archived