Dinner: Table for two

Venom

Call and request it. There's no guarantee. We've requested a table for just the 4 of us on our last 2 cruises and the request was fulfilled however, we were seated next to another table of 4, the same family each night as rotational dining has it, and it seemed as though we might as well been seated together we were that close. I don't mean that as a negative thing, it's just that if you're looking for a more private dining experience and feel you'll get that by requesting a table for 2 you may want to be prepared. I think it's done that way for the wait staff's benefit. Every cruise is different as is everyone's experience.

Call and request it. There's no guarantee. We've requested a table for just the 4 of us on our last 2 cruises and the request was fulfilled however, we were seated next to another table of 4, the same family each night as rotational dining has it, and it seemed as though we might as well been seated together we were that close. I don't mean that as a negative thing, it's just that if you're looking for a more private dining experience and feel you'll get that by requesting a table for 2 you may want to be prepared. I think it's done that way for the wait staff's benefit. Every cruise is different as is everyone's experience.

Each dining team serves a 4 top, a 6 top and an 8 top. There are no 2 tops in the MDRs. If a request is granted for 2 people to be seated alone, they will be at a 4 top. And, yes, the tables in the MDRs are fairly close to each other, so not really a "private" setting, even if seated alone.

In DCL, there is a way to get a table for two in the MDR? In RCL with My Time Dining was easy to do that, is there something similar in DCL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting responses. I also never have an issue getting a 2 top on Rccl.

Thank you all. It will be my honeymoon and that's why I would like to have a table for two.

I am planning a WDW + DCL combo honeymoon :-)

You will have a better chance if you have late seating.

Make the request with DCL, and when you get on the ship, go to "Dining room changes"

and also confirm your request. Since all tables are for 4 or larger its just a request.

Each dining team serves a 4 top, a 6 top and an 8 top. There are no 2 tops in the MDRs. If a request is granted for 2 people to be seated alone, they will be at a 4 top. And, yes, the tables in the MDRs are fairly close to each other, so not really a "private" setting, even if seated alone.

We have definitely had two tops. I remember it well from last April when our server brought out two or three main entrees every night for my son and I and there was no room on the table for the plates! If it had been a four top, there would have been more room. Another couple seated not far from us also had a two top. They had the same server and on lobster night, he brought husband 3 dinners, They were stacking plates because there was no space. This was on the Magic. On the Dream we had six tops and on the Wonder we've had all four tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We just got off Disney Magic out of Galveston and had a table for 2 assigned each night during early seating. Our Travel Agent put in the request with our booking. I don't see any problems with you receiving one as well. They were not seating any parties with other unknown parties, so it should just be the two of you.

Not that you asked, but Disney Cruise Line is not a great Honeymoon Cruise line. We are a married couple of 15 yrs, no kids, but we LOVE Disney World and thought a Disney Cruise would be a ton of fun. We are avid cruisers. Our sailing Feb. 1-5 2013 on Disney Magic had 2800 people on board with over half being 6 or younger. The dining rooms were chaotic and so loud we could not hear each other talk even though we had a table for two. The food and staff are great, but the atmosphere was terrible. No music at all, just screaming kids and adults throughout the meal. Kids running all over the place uncontrolled in the MDR's and throughout the ship. Nothing romantic about it at all. I would consider doing you pre-cruise time at Disney World, but booking a different line for the cruise part of your honeymoon. Sorry if that is disappointing, it would have been for me if someone had told me ahead of time. Congrats on the marriage!

We just got off Disney Magic out of Galveston and had a table for 2 assigned each night during early seating. Our Travel Agent put in the request with our booking. I don't see any problems with you receiving one as well. They were not seating any parties with other unknown parties, so it should just be the two of you.

Not that you asked, but Disney Cruise Line is not a great Honeymoon Cruise line. We are a married couple of 15 yrs, no kids, but we LOVE Disney World and thought a Disney Cruise would be a ton of fun. We are avid cruisers. Our sailing Feb. 1-5 2013 on Disney Magic had 2800 people on board with over half being 6 or younger. The dining rooms were chaotic and so loud we could not hear each other talk even though we had a table for two. The food and staff are great, but the atmosphere was terrible. No music at all, just screaming kids and adults throughout the meal. Kids running all over the place uncontrolled in the MDR's and throughout the ship. Nothing romantic about it at all. I would consider doing you pre-cruise time at Disney World, but booking a different line for the cruise part of your honeymoon. Sorry if that is disappointing, it would have been for me if someone had told me ahead of time. Congrats on the marriage!

Great info. I'm taking my first Disney cruise much for the same reason you did. I LOVE Disney world. I'm there all the time. I wanted to experience that magic. I do have second seating but was worried about the kids at dinner. I'm 29 my gf is 25. No kids. We aren't going for any romantic reason just more because we love Disney and love to cruise. Was all your dinners like this at each venue? I would assume this would be more typical for earlier seating as you have the younger kids still awake. I know this applies for Rccl.

I have to agree with you. Back in 1977 (yes years ago:rolleyes:) we did most of our honeymoon at WDW and had a wonderful time.............So far one of our children has followed us and also loved it.

Now that said, at least at busy times, I would likely not use a line like DCL, (as good as they are), RCCL or Carnival, due to the many kids and the lack of some parents today to control their kids.:eek:

AKK

I wonder if your cruise offered the kids sail free promotion. Those sailings always have more than the normal number of kids. Given that just about every school in the country is in session the first week of Feb. would account for so many young ones too.

Great info. I'm taking my first Disney cruise much for the same reason you did. I LOVE Disney world. I'm there all the time. I wanted to experience that magic. I do have second seating but was worried about the kids at dinner. I'm 29 my gf is 25. No kids. We aren't going for any romantic reason just more because we love Disney and love to cruise. Was all your dinners like this at each venue? I would assume this would be more typical for earlier seating as you have the younger kids still awake. I know this applies for Rccl.

Definitely more kiddos at the early seating. Those at the late seating usually get picked up by the kids club staff about a half hour into the dinner.

Definitely more kiddos at the early seating. Those at the late seating usually get picked up by the kids club staff about a half hour into the dinner.

It was still very noisy at second seating, at least on my recent cruise on the Magic Jan. 4-12. It was a Kids Sail Free cruise, though, so that probably contributed to it, plus it was early in January when some kids were still out of school, at least for part of the cruise. I think the well-behaved kids went willingly to the kids club, it was the not-so-well-behaved who stayed with their parents and contributed to the noise.

BTW we were able to get a table for two on this cruise. I asked about it at the location they said to check to request dining changes shortly after boarding. We were originally supposed to be on a 6-top. We ate at Palo the first night, and when we got back to our stateroom, there was a message for us that they had a table for two for us. It was a 4-top. I was pleased they were able to honor our request.

We LOVED Palo and were able to eat at all of their brunches. I would have liked to have eaten more dinners there, but did not have enough appropriate clothing (someone complained about my denim SKIRT at a brunch, and that was all I'd brought). I did think the food in the MDR was very good though (with the exception of one watermelon cold soup that had seeds in it).

This was my first experience eating in a main dining room that was SO busy. I prefer Norwegian's Freestyle and RCCL's My Time Dining. Normally we eat a lot at the buffets on other cruise lines (because it's pretty much the same food as in the MDRs, and quieter and faster), but I did not like the way Topsiders was laid out (nor the fact that's it's often not a buffet at dinner). I also didn't like the (fake) scrambled eggs at any of the venues - only Palo seemed to use real eggs!

Thanks for the great advice! I have still not decided which cruise I will take, I am still considering other options.

We love Disney and the WDW part of the honeymoon is already decided, and that's why I started thinking on Disney. Also I am very interested in cruising on Fantasy and I thought maybe this is a good opportunity.

Sure I will consider your feedback, I still have some time to decide.

We were on the same sailing in second seating. We did not see kids running around the dining room at all. The only screaming kid I remember was a baby at an adjoining table that was scared by one of the dining room "shows." Second seating is certainly preferable for adults and older children. We had no problem hearing each other or talking.

I didn't see kids running all over the ship, in fact I was pleasantly surprised by how well behaved everyone was. Also opposite of you, we found the food to be very average. There were a handful of simply inedible items (butternut squash soup, baked potato soup, many desserts, wasabi mashed potatoes-and I like wasabi!) and quite a few misses (served without sauce, incredibly salty, served cold, food that came out didn't match menu description).

I did notice that the dining rooms were loud, but it seemed to my husband and I it was because of the serving stations. The Disney servers move FAST and that means lots of clanking dishes and silver wear. Our dinner in second seating usually took ~1 hour, on other cruise lines it would take double that. It was certainly not a leisurely, quiet dinner.

To the OP, for a honeymoon I think the advice about booking another line is spot on. Before we had kids, we did 7 days at WDW and a 3 night RCCL out of Port Canaveral. It was a great experience. I love Disney as much as pretty much anyone, but 7 days will be enough Disney for you. DCL charges a premium because it caters to families. With my 3 kids, the premium is worth it. To you, I doubt it would be. For the same price on another line, you can get a nicer cabin and have a nice limo transfer to boot. Another option is to use the price difference and upgrade your accommodations at WDW.

Congrats and good luck!

We were on the same sailing in second seating. We did not see kids running around the dining room at all. The only screaming kid I remember was a baby at an adjoining table that was scared by one of the dining room "shows." Second seating is certainly preferable for adults and older children. We had no problem hearing each other or talking.

I didn't see kids running all over the ship, in fact I was pleasantly surprised by how well behaved everyone was. Also opposite of you, we found the food to be very average. There were a handful of simply inedible items (butternut squash soup, baked potato soup, many desserts, wasabi mashed potatoes-and I like wasabi!) and quite a few misses (served without sauce, incredibly salty, served cold, food that came out didn't match menu description).

I did notice that the dining rooms were loud, but it seemed to my husband and I it was because of the serving stations. The Disney servers move FAST and that means lots of clanking dishes and silver wear. Our dinner in second seating usually took ~1 hour, on other cruise lines it would take double that. It was certainly not a leisurely, quiet dinner.

To the OP, for a honeymoon I think the advice about booking another line is spot on. Before we had kids, we did 7 days at WDW and a 3 night RCCL out of Port Canaveral. It was a great experience. I love Disney as much as pretty much anyone, but 7 days will be enough Disney for you. DCL charges a premium because it caters to families. With my 3 kids, the premium is worth it. To you, I doubt it would be. For the same price on another line, you can get a nicer cabin and have a nice limo transfer to boot. Another option is to use the price difference and upgrade your accommodations at WDW.

Congrats and good luck!

Well, another example of "every cruise has a life unto itself". We've been on cruises where the kids were running amok (primarily a cruise that went KSF after we booked it :(). And others where we weren't really aware there were any kids onboard.

And the food, which is certainly a very subjective item, I absolutely love the butternut squash soup. Now, depending on the chef onboard at the time, certainly this could be not as good on one cruise as another.

Thanks for the great advice! I have still not decided which cruise I will take, I am still considering other options.

We love Disney and the WDW part of the honeymoon is already decided, and that's why I started thinking on Disney. Also I am very interested in cruising on Fantasy and I thought maybe this is a good opportunity.

With the 7 night itinerary, you have plenty of time to go to Palo for a more adult dinner or two. Combined with second dining, I think you'd have a fine time ESPECIALLY if you are a lover of all things Disney.

BUT, that 7 night Fantasy sailing sure is pricey. I was just looking at April 2014 and a standard inside on Fantasy is about the same cost as a balcony on Freedom of the Seas. It would be hard for me to pass up a balcony. :)

Well, another example of "every cruise has a life unto itself". We've been on cruises where the kids were running amok (primarily a cruise that went KSF after we booked it :(). And others where we weren't really aware there were any kids onboard.

And the food, which is certainly a very subjective item, I absolutely love the butternut squash soup. Now, depending on the chef onboard at the time, certainly this could be not as good on one cruise as another.

I'm not sure what was wrong with Animator's Palate on the Magic this past Monday night/Tuesday morning. It was just...bad! Nobody in our server's area ate their soup, either the butternut squash or baked potato. The butternut squash was so thin and watery and it had no flavor. The baked potato was like starch water. It had no recognizable piece of potato in it. It was as if they ran out and added water to stretch it. It WAS the last night of the cruise, so maybe that was the case? Who knows.

My tenderloin came out stone cold. The sides were hot, so it was as if they pulled the tenderloin from the fridge and forgot to warm it. I did order it rare, but at minimum the outside should have been warm. We had breakfast there the next morning, and my breakfast (omelet with BBQ chicken on top) came out cold as well. Nobody seemed to notice that the sandwich slices of cheese (kind strange anyways) they laid on top of the cold BBQ wasn't, uhh, melting.

Like I said, the other restaurants had misses, but nothing like AP.

My wife and I just did the eastern on the Fantasy last November...........flat out........a Amazing vessel, better then any other cruise ship out there!

AKK

With the 7 night itinerary, you have plenty of time to go to Palo for a more adult dinner or two. Combined with second dining, I think you'd have a fine time ESPECIALLY if you are a lover of all things Disney.

BUT, that 7 night Fantasy sailing sure is pricey. I was just looking at April 2014 and a standard inside on Fantasy is about the same cost as a balcony on Freedom of the Seas. It would be hard for me to pass up a balcony. :)

And the Freedom OTS is exactly the cruise I am currently comparing to...

Thanks for the input, mom and I are planning a 4 nighter on the Dream the last week before school starts on August. Unfortunately that is the only time my mom can travel and now I am becoming a little concerned about the kid situation. We are aware that this is a Disney cruise and that there will be tons of kids, but still. I don't think it will be enough to stop me from going, but I am just a little precautions now.

We will definitely ask for a table for 2, as I like eating alone with mom.

I wanted to ask something, I remember reading somewhere that Disney allows you to bring liquor, is that true?

I have another question, does anyone know what the current pricing for remy is 75-100? also, is it worth it?

thanks for the help.

Thanks for the input, mom and I are planning a 4 nighter on the Dream the last week before school starts on August. Unfortunately that is the only time my mom can travel and now I am becoming a little concerned about the kid situation. We are aware that this is a Disney cruise and that there will be tons of kids, but still. I don't think it will be enough to stop me from going, but I am just a little precautions now.

We will definitely ask for a table for 2, as I like eating alone with mom.

I wanted to ask something, I remember reading somewhere that Disney allows you to bring liquor, is that true?

I have another question, does anyone know what the current pricing for remy is 75-100? also, is it worth it?

thanks for the help.

My wife and I just did a Fantasy cruise, the ship was about 80% full and there were lots of kids about, but not unreasonable so. I would suggest that its only during the really busy times that the kids could be a issue, The same would be for any of the lines like RCCL and Carnivail.

Yes all the beer wine and ligurid you want to bring, but only sealed and in a carry on bag that fits though a standard xray unit. None in checked bags, so there has been problems in the past with leakage.

Rules are only to be used in your Cabin, and a glass/bottle of beer or wine in the MDR's. You can bring a bottle of wine to the MDR's, they may or may not charge you a @18.00 uncorking charge.

Last November Remy was $75.00 and I think $175 for the cheifs table. We did Palos and that as always was excellent, but we did not do Remys.......however we hear nothing but excellent things about Remys.

What ever you decide..........enjoy your trip.

AKK

My wife and I just did a Fantasy cruise' date=' the ship was about 80% full and there were lots of kids about, but not unreasonable so. I would suggest that its only during the really busy times that the kids could be a issue, The same would be for any of the lines like RCCL and Carnivail.

Yes all the beer wine and ligurid you want to bring, but only sealed and in a carry on bag that fits though a standard xray unit. None in checked bags, so there has been problems in the past with leakage.

Rules are only to be used in your Cabin, and a glass/bottle of beer or wine in the MDR's. You can bring a bottle of wine to the MDR's, they may or may not charge you a @18.00 uncorking charge.

Last November Remy was $75.00 and I think $175 for the cheifs table. We did Palos and that as always was excellent, but we did not do Remys.......however we hear nothing but excellent things about Remys.

What ever you decide..........enjoy your trip.

AKK[/quote']

Thanks for this. So I can bring the bottles onboard in bags I carry on. Normal size of course. Glass is ok? Do people have luck with rum runners in their checked in bags?

Thanks for this. So I can bring the bottles onboard in bags I carry on. Normal size of course. Glass is ok? Do people have luck with rum runners in their checked in bags?

Good day my debating friend!:D

Glass ok.....rolling coolers not!..folding coolers maybe.. the room stewards will keep your ice bucket full, just ask. No need for the rum runners....if they find anything in checked bags, you get them back on the last day of the cruise........The problem with anything in check bags is if they leak........Disney will make you pay for anyone else's dry cleaning or replacement of any stained items.

AKK

Archived