Penthouse aft on pearl questions ??'s

bagzrpacked

My husband has the cruising bug!!! We just completed our 2nd cruise and he is already trying to plan another. I told him that I can't go into work and request more vacation time (even though I have plenty) they will think they are paying me too much. LOL

He is talking to the NCL rep about an Aft Penthouse Suite. The rep said that it is in the corner and has a tub in the bathroom. One rep said there was a window in the bathroom and the other rep said there wasn't a window. ???

Has anyone ever stayed in a room/suite like this and how did you like it?

Lots of motion back there?

Our last room on the Dawn was a mini suite on the 11th floor. It was about 5 rooms from the spa. I took Bonine and had no motion issues.

Any info or tips you can give would be appreciated!

Since you asked about the AFT Penthouses on the Pearl (and other Jewel class ships) they are a single room suite - about twice as large as a balcony cabin. They come with a king sized bed, a small loveseat, another chair, a table and four chairs. The bathroom has a tub/shower combination. They are great for 2 and OK for three - but no more. There are a total of 12 suites on each ship - decks 8,9 and 10. The interiors are the same but the balconys get deeper as you go up in decks. There is little motion - even on deck 10. The best cabins are on deck 10 followed by deck 9 - on the Pearl there is a nightclub under deck 8 so there are some noise issues. The ones on the ends have the best view. Here are some pics of cabin 10166 on the Pearl. Some ships do have Spa Suites that do have a spa tub in them - but not on the Pearl.

IMG_2305.jpg.7e63cdd8acb24c8c8937c44f3dc28e47.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg.76a506caa6bcabea5e18ed4de82a8a12.jpg

2012-06-30_11-42-16_293.jpg.d2187fc9ccd3aabfe5c99e615af6a669.jpg

009.jpg.0fc213f0f6d9123d62f964341bdad1da.jpg

We stayed in 10166 two years ago and are staying in it again this Nov!

OP, as you can see from my cruise history, my DW and I love staying in the aft penthouse suites on the Pearl. Deck 10 is the best - it's quiet, you don't feel a lot of ship movement, and the view from the big balcony is incredible. You'd LOVE it!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

We stayed in the aft penthouse suites last February and the February before (same room both years)...8th floor.

The noise from the club was not really an issue, but I did hear it one night.

The is no window in the bathroom and the tub is small, never used it for a bath.

The aft penthouses are for two people only.

The room is awesome...we loved it, but this year we booked a regular balcony because of the cost. It was 1500 a person for the aft suite and 779 for the regular. We drink, gamble, and eat every night at the specialty restaurants...the suite got cut because we spend so much once on board.

We loved ordering breakfast every morning from Cagneys and eating it in our suite. We also loved the coffee maker in the suite. The suite rewards are awesome (bottle of wine, butler, priority boarding)

We already booked our cruise for next year...we are switching to Celebrity because we love those rewards, but hate the cost and Celebrity has those rewards at the Concierge level without staying in a suite (plus they were offering the beverage package free with the booking)

With that said, loved the Pearl and the Aft suite

The balcony doors in the aft suites slide open and closed - they are big and heavy. I don't remember any way to hold them open - but as long as the ship stays still there is no problem with the door closing. The only reason the front balcony doors have to be closed is that they are more subjective to waves and wind and they are more of a sea door than a slider.

Not sure of location but found a video of a Pearl Penthouse suite.

http://quassmedia.com/cruisevids/?p=386

This is a forward penthouse. Nice Video!

OP, we'll be in an aft penthouse in a week, I'll take pics and post a review when I return. We were in an aft penthouse on the Gem, Pearl's sister ship, last April. We had a great time, the balcony is so big and the wake is mesmerizing.

Well guess what your husband isn't the only 1,I have the suite bug too

My DW and I are planning our 3rd cruise as well,we had 2 penthouse aft suites before and no window in the bathroom We Booked a DOS now

Check those out on the gem I saw a video and was hooked (you tube ncl gem 15500) Show him that 3 bottles of free booze unlimited soda water juice in the suite phone laptop(there is a Charge to use it) binoculars huge balcony with your own personal Jacuzzi and of course everything else that goes with the suite exclusive access to the haven....

Have a great time

Joe

I'm the DW of WilcatRock and we absolutely do love the aft penthouse suites! Here are some tips we have used on our past sailings in these suites.

* The slider door is very heavy and will slide open and closed when the ship is moving. I simply put a leg of the chair/lounger in the frame of the doorway and the problem is solved (this won't work if the ship is really rocking though).

* Move the small sitting bench at the foot of your bed and slip it under the desk for extra room. Trust me, you will hit your legs on it again and again if you don't do this!

* There are 2 thermostats in the room, one for the bedroom area and one for the hallway and livingroom area so you can adjust accordingly.

* Use a handtowel to wipe down the railing and chairs/loungers first thing in the morning before you sit or lean against them. Some mornings they may be dewey or may have a small amount of soot on them. The "sometimes" soot would never keep us from booking these suites!

* I don't like having to keep my bathroom door closed at night, so if the seas are a bit rough, fold a towel in half and throw it over the top of the door to keep it from noisily opening and closing all night long.

* If you enjoy music, bring a long extension cord, your MP3 player and some portable speakers to enjoy your tunes on your huge balcony!

* There is a small table with chairs in the corner by the slider door. You can make additional room by moving the chairs and angling the table when it is not in use.

* If you make lots of new friends...ask your butler for help in throwing a small (!) party in your suite. We had cookies, fruit, veggies, sandwiches, wings, chips, snack mix brought to our room and set up. We must have had 20 plus people in the suite and on the balcony! We were not charged for this service and tipped our butler after he set up and then at the end of the cruise. We also tipped our room steward extra for the additional work he and the butler did cleaning up after our party and at the end of the week as well. We have always had excellent stewards and butlers who have gone above their job descriptions to make our vacations top notch!

As another person posted, there is no window in the bathroom. Motion is so limited compared to being in the front of the ship. As long as you are on deck 9 or 10 you should have a quiet experience, but you never know how noisy the neighbors around you will be! I couldn't tell if the bed was a king or queen. It seems too big for a queen yet maybe a bit smaller than a king? There is storage, storage, storage galore in these suites! Drawers in the desk, drawers and shelves in the dressing area, directly to the side of the dressing table there are 3 (?) drawers and another 2/3 built-in shelves. Oh, forgot to mention the scale in the bathroom. Never used it!!!!

For the best cruise ever, learn the crew members names and use them each time you see them. Ask them questions about their families and home countries. We always bring thank you cards from home and write a note to each person we are tipping about how they added in a special way to our vacation. We always fill our the HERO cards and turn them into the front desk. We tell the officers we come into contact with about special crew members who have made our week better. A cruise, in our opinion, is what YOU make of it and we intend to make every cruise we go on phenomenal!

I'm the DW of WilcatRock and we absolutely do love the aft penthouse suites! Here are some tips we have used on our past sailings in these suites.

* The slider door is very heavy and will slide open and closed when the ship is moving. I simply put a leg of the chair/lounger in the frame of the doorway and the problem is solved (this won't work if the ship is really rocking though).

* Move the small sitting bench at the foot of your bed and slip it under the desk for extra room. Trust me, you will hit your legs on it again and again if you don't do this!

* There are 2 thermostats in the room, one for the bedroom area and one for the hallway and livingroom area so you can adjust accordingly.

* Use a handtowel to wipe down the railing and chairs/loungers first thing in the morning before you sit or lean against them. Some mornings they may be dewey or may have a small amount of soot on them. The "sometimes" soot would never keep us from booking these suites!

* I don't like having to keep my bathroom door closed at night, so if the seas are a bit rough, fold a towel in half and throw it over the top of the door to keep it from noisily opening and closing all night long.

* If you enjoy music, bring a long extension cord, your MP3 player and some portable speakers to enjoy your tunes on your huge balcony!

* There is a small table with chairs in the corner by the slider door. You can make additional room by moving the chairs and angling the table when it is not in use.

* If you make lots of new friends...ask your butler for help in throwing a small (!) party in your suite. We had cookies, fruit, veggies, sandwiches, wings, chips, snack mix brought to our room and set up. We must have had 20 plus people in the suite and on the balcony! We were not charged for this service and tipped our butler after he set up and then at the end of the cruise. We also tipped our room steward extra for the additional work he and the butler did cleaning up after our party and at the end of the week as well. We have always had excellent stewards and butlers who have gone above their job descriptions to make our vacations top notch!

As another person posted, there is no window in the bathroom. Motion is so limited compared to being in the front of the ship. As long as you are on deck 9 or 10 you should have a quiet experience, but you never know how noisy the neighbors around you will be! I couldn't tell if the bed was a king or queen. It seems too big for a queen yet maybe a bit smaller than a king? There is storage, storage, storage galore in these suites! Drawers in the desk, drawers and shelves in the dressing area, directly to the side of the dressing table there are 3 (?) drawers and another 2/3 built-in shelves. Oh, forgot to mention the scale in the bathroom. Never used it!!!!

For the best cruise ever, learn the crew members names and use them each time you see them. Ask them questions about their families and home countries. We always bring thank you cards from home and write a note to each person we are tipping about how they added in a special way to our vacation. We always fill our the HERO cards and turn them into the front desk. We tell the officers we come into contact with about special crew members who have made our week better. A cruise, in our opinion, is what YOU make of it and we intend to make every cruise we go on phenomenal!

Excellent suggestions. We have our first aft suite, deck 10, in a little less than three weeks. We are looking forward to it.

Archived