Glacier Float vs. Mendenhall Visitor Center

brensr41

My Husband and I have currently reserved the Mendenhall Glacier Float excursion. After doing some research I am a little concerned that we might not get as close to it as we might by just going to the Visitor Center. Does anyone has any insight to this? Is the Glacier Float worth it if we don't have enough time to go to the visitor center as well?

The visitor center is a nice visit. There are fascinating markers showing where the ice used to be... Very sobering concerning climate change.

I'm sure you get closer with the float trip.

Usually, the ships are in Juneau for a long time, so try to do both :)

Either way, enjoy!

I've been to the visitor's center and done the float trip twice. The visitor's center is a visitor's center. You can walk some trails down toward the face and around the lake. The float trip is a blast. Saw a ton of eagles the last time we did it. Time of year makes a big difference in the float experience (more water in the spring, slightly more exciting).

Views of the glacier equally good either way. Glaciers are best view from a bit of a distance because they're so large.

I've been to the visitor's center and done the float trip twice. The visitor's center is a visitor's center. You can walk some trails down toward the face and around the lake. The float trip is a blast. Saw a ton of eagles the last time we did it. Time of year makes a big difference in the float experience (more water in the spring' date=' slightly more exciting).

Views of the glacier equally good either way. Glaciers are best view from a bit of a distance because they're so large.[/quote']

Would you recommend the float trip for May or do you think it will be too uncomfortably cold to be enjoyable? And how rapid is it.... do you get really wet?

I've been to the visitor's center and done the float trip twice. The visitor's center is a visitor's center. You can walk some trails down toward the face and around the lake. The float trip is a blast. Saw a ton of eagles the last time we did it. Time of year makes a big difference in the float experience (more water in the spring' date=' slightly more exciting).

Views of the glacier equally good either way. Glaciers are best view from a bit of a distance because they're so large.[/quote']

Thanks we are going in May so hopefully more water!!

Archived