Cruise Line suggestion for Greek Isles - please help!

cmvan25

Planning a cruise to Greek Isles in Fall of 2005. Need your suggestions for which line -- thinking we'd like to try a smaller ship like a Windstar or Oceania, however we are open to suggestions. Our previous cruise experiences have been on Princess and Royal Caribbean and the ships were 2600+ -- thought for this itinerary the smaller ship would be desirable. Please give me some input as I need to make some arrangements soon.

We have sailed Windstar 3 times and our first in July with Oceania. Windstar is 5 stars plus and what I understand Oceania is too. My concern would be going into these islands with 2500 people at one time, some isles are really small. The smaller boats seem to be more personalized. We are planning either ship to do the Greek Isles next

Sept or Oct. Oceania has some wonderful 2 for 1 and free air until July 31.

We have cruised with Windstar 3 times and Oceania 2 times. We like both cruise lines very much. The Oceania ships are larger (about 680 passengers). The Windstar ships are about 300 (Windsurf) or 150 (the other ships). The food is probably a little better on Oceania, although it is very good on Windstar. I would rate the cabins as comparable except that I don't think that Windstar ships have any balcony cabins.

One key difference is the length of the cruise. Oceania's Greek cruises are generally either 11 or 12 days and Windstar is 7 days. We are going on our first Greek Islands cruise with Oceania this fall.

[quote name=sancarlos ...........wrote in part.........

My concern would be going into these islands with 2500 people at one time, some isles are really small. [/quote]

Neither ship carries 2,500 passengers. ;-)

Neither ship carries 2,500 passengers. ;-)

OP didn't specify the two lines that the subsequent poster mentioned. There are indeed ships of the 2000+ (if not 2,500) pax size that do ply those waters.

I sailed the Celebrity Millennium in 2004, and enjoyed my cruise immensely. Some of the islands were a bit crowded, but if you are on a small ship, and one of the larger ships pulls into port, there's not much you can do about it, and the selection of a smaller ship might be for naught.

While the OP mentioned a fall cruise, Summer in the Med around the Greek Isles is a busy market, with several ships there. So I'm not sure the small ship advice is that helpful for that time period, unless you can confirm or can in any way believe that other ships won't be in port when you are (don't forget to check the European lines, not just the familiar (to the U.S.) names.

However, itineraries, ship size, service level (mass market, or way upscale) will have an impact on one's choice. All of which are valid reasons to thoroughly research before you book. Also remember that on the larger ships there can be quite a large number of children during the peak summer months. The sailing before mine had 300+ children on a 2000+ pax ship. YIKES!!! That alone might be a reason to pick a smaller (upscale) ship, as the families (generally) tend to migrate to the bigger ships.

As always, do your homework, and Have Fun!

We were on the April 15 sailing of Oceania's Insignia from Istanbul to Athens, and we absolutely loved the experience! Fabulous cuisine, only 645 pax with very few children, no formal nights, ship was gorgeous and exceptionally easy to navigate, crew couldn't have been more congenial and service oriented. Given the choice, we will always opt for the smaller ship, assuming similar itineraries.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to you all for your input. Did alot of research and decided to go with Oceania. Liked that the ship is smaller but not too small. Also, with the fantastic fares right now (2 for 1 plus free air) we decided to wait for the April 21, 2006 Rome to Athens on the Insignia. Booked cabin #7116 -- hoping that was a good choice -- our TA thought so. Anyone know that cabin? Mike - I think you said you took this same route last April. How was the weather? Would have preferred either a May or October sailing, but April fit our schedules better. Thanks again for your comments.

If you want to cruise the Med in Fall 2005 or 2006 - try Crystal. These are not exactly budget cruises, but their ships only carry about 1000 + or - a few; without many children, and they provide a first class experience.

Archived