wild alaska outfitters....anybody heard of/familiar with?

ERTHDOG

i just recieved some additional coupons in the mail from northern lights:)

i see several coupons for a company called "wild alaska outfitters" in juneau ,but i find nothing about them online ,and their website seems to not work:(

is this a marketing or broker thing ,and they actually use other companys for the tours?

tell me of your experiences , if any please

thanks ,dave

Meant to also 'post' on this a few days ago when we received our 'top up' vouchers to the book of vouchers we had already received but then got busy on other things.

Like you - searched on the internet to see who had used this company but couldn't find any mention of them, and also like you cannot get their web-site to go past the first page.

Just went on Google to try again and found your message

Strange! Wonder if it is a new company setting up and offering 2for1 vouchers as a good way to get his company known - but if this is so surprised he has not got his website up and working.

We don't like to make contact via email or telephone until we have looked at web-sites to get more info on the company and what they are offering.

Will post further if i get any more info.

regards

Hello tee_harbor

Thanks for taking an interest. The company is offering 2 for 1 tours with a Northern Lights coupon for a 3 hr Bear Island Wilderness Tour and also a Flightseeing tour at Icy Strait point but their address is in Juneau. We were interested in using them if the tour started from Juneau, which from the wording the Flightseeing one does.

Web address is www.WildAlaskaOutfitters.com

and they say go to the web site for details but when i go into this it is just 1 page with a photo of a boot on a beach and the words My Site.

I don't think there is anything 'dodgy' about the company as they give address, email and phone no. on the voucher as well as the web-site, (may be a case of whoever is setting up their web-site is a bit slow in getting it done). I usually prefer to get an idea of what is on offer from a web-site before taking it further by emailing and 'phoning.

regards

• 2 weeks later...
Hello tee_harbor

Thanks for taking an interest. The company is offering 2 for 1 tours with a Northern Lights coupon for a 3 hr Bear Island Wilderness Tour and also a Flightseeing tour at Icy Strait point but their address is in Juneau. We were interested in using them if the tour started from Juneau, which from the wording the Flightseeing one does.

Web address is www.WildAlaskaOutfitters.com

and they say go to the web site for details but when i go into this it is just 1 page with a photo of a boot on a beach and the words My Site.

I don't think there is anything 'dodgy' about the company as they give address, email and phone no. on the voucher as well as the web-site, (may be a case of whoever is setting up their web-site is a bit slow in getting it done). I usually prefer to get an idea of what is on offer from a web-site before taking it further by emailing and 'phoning.

regards

wondering if you found anything else out about them? I posted an inquiry on TA.

• 1 month later...

At least the names of the two captains aren't ringing any bells from the newspaper for violations! I used to work in the the Fish and Game department which dealt with some of the violators, so I keep an ear out for these things still.

That said, I think there's risk with any startup. They use the coupon offers to get some passengers and reviews up to generate more passengers. If they're good, it works, if they're like a good deal of first time Alaska vendors, inexperienced and accustomed to running on Alaska time with no repercussions, it can be hard on the tourist.

I'd say that you just have to decide if the risk is worth the reward for your vacation.

I think there is similar information on Trip Advisor... some of the guys running Wild Alaska were part of other established outfits (Wings of Alaska, etc.) and joined together to start their own company. I also have the toursaver book and am sailing July 19. I hope by then that there will be some early sailors who post about their experiences with them. Their offer looks good, but like you, I'm wary of a new vendor without any customer feedback.

I just spoke with Jeff, the owner yesterday. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Gave me a description of the flightseing tour I was interested in along with details regarding meeting him in Juneau. He also said he's been in the business for 15 years and just last year opened Wild Alaska Outfitters. He said the unusual amount of rain just killed his business last year (lots of cancellations). Maybe that's why there aren't many reviews.

I'm waiting for him to respond to an email with more details and if that goes well, I'll take a shot with him. I too am using the Northern Lights BOGO deal.

Also - check TripAdvisor. I found some info on them there as well.

I just spoke with Jeff, the owner yesterday. He seemed like a nice enough guy. Gave me a description of the flightseing tour I was interested in along with details regarding meeting him in Juneau. He also said he's been in the business for 15 years and just last year opened Wild Alaska Outfitters. He said the unusual amount of rain just killed his business last year (lots of cancellations). Maybe that's why there aren't many reviews.

I'm waiting for him to respond to an email with more details and if that goes well, I'll take a shot with him. I too am using the Northern Lights BOGO deal.

Also - check TripAdvisor. I found some info on them there as well.

Sorry but they all sound "nice".

Are THEY the flightseeing operator? Why after 15 years in business, would they fail? How did all the other businesses remain with the same "rain"?????

Likely NOT questions you are looking to consider, since your post is loaded with all positives, and what you think are reasonable "excuses".

Last year, another company was well "recommended" due to the same issues, great sounding excuses, "nice" sounding on the phone and emails, and being toted by a poster who hadn't even been to Alaska. Well, booked people were left on the dock with no tour.

I find it, my preference to go with who I know, and who has the track record that I prefer.

Depends what each person wants.

well , i got a email reply from them regarding the bogo whale watch, i asked what company they use and they said it was their own tour.

being that they are new , i was not willing to risk it , for some money saved ....so i booked with orca , for my own peace of mind;)

they may be great , but thats for someone else to discover ,not me:p

dave

• 4 months later...

Buyer BEWARE

We reserved the bear Island helicopter tour, using the Alaska tour book coupon. They accepted our $499 and even sent us a reminder about our excursion scheduled for July 1. The excursion was cancelled due to weather by the operator. We have been promised a refund four times now. Even in writing.

Jeff Hastings promised a check was mailed and also assured us he would apply the money via pay pal if no check arrived again. Still no refund.

I will now be filing with many agencies and tour bureaus, cruise blogs etc. I will go back there if necessary but already have folks willing to make contact with them for me

DO NT GIVE THEM MONEY!!!!!

Buyer BEWARE

We reserved the bear Island helicopter tour, using the Alaska tour book coupon. They accepted our $499 and even sent us a reminder about our excursion scheduled for July 1. The excursion was cancelled due to weather by the operator. We have been promised a refund four times now. Even in writing.

Jeff Hastings promised a check was mailed and also assured us he would apply the money via pay pal if no check arrived again. Still no refund.

I will now be filing with many agencies and tour bureaus, cruise blogs etc. I will go back there if necessary but already have folks willing to make contact with them for me

DO NT GIVE THEM MONEY!!!!!

Also contact Scott at Toursaver, if you used this coupon book. He certainly does not want any vendors that are not up to his standards. I would also suggest, finding the contact for Northern Lights, if you happened to use that book, as well.

I had a similar issue. Paid for a Juneau flight seeing tour (used the northern lights BOGO), but it was cancelled due to weather. Jeff Hastings assured me a refund would be given.

It's been 2 months, emails are unanswered and no refund given.

Jeff- that is just bad business practice.

Stay clear of this outfit.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I had a similar issue. Paid for a Juneau flight seeing tour (used the northern lights BOGO), but it was cancelled due to weather. Jeff Hastings assured me a refund would be given.

It's been 2 months, emails are unanswered and no refund given.

Jeff- that is just bad business practice.

Stay clear of this outfit.

So sorry for this, but, it kind of confirms some of the above posts. As I stated, sure they all sound great on the phone, and some posters really give this a big plus, which means little, in my opinion.

Thank you both, sincerely for making this public. Have you disputed this with your credit card? I surely hope you get the full refunds. You have offered more information to other potential customers.

OP,very sorry that happened to you

for me,glad i shy'd away from them

BTW , orca and captain larry gave us a whale watch better than we ever expected

cant wait to return some day

dave

My cc company is sending me a refund.

BQ - you did let me know you had serious reservations about them.. I justified the risk in my own mind and went for it. The truth is I won't let the loss of $280 ruin the memory of what was a fantastic trip overall. It's the principle of the matter.

My cc company is sending me a refund.

BQ - you did let me know you had serious reservations about them.. I justified the risk in my own mind and went for it. The truth is I won't let the loss of $280 ruin the memory of what was a fantastic trip overall. It's the principle of the matter.

Glad, it was an easy fix. :) I hope the same for the other poster. Again, this is very valuable information for others.

• 1 month later...

Jeff Hasting who runs this company is a crook

There are now many posts out there check Trip Advisor he books takes your money, cancels at the last minute and keeps your money

Promises refunds 10 times in our case but nothing i have contacted Toursaver vouches that promotes him nothing

Maybe because im a convict from australia he thinks he can get away with it

DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR MONEY YOU WILL NEVER SEE IT AGAIN

Archived