NCL and Upgrades

This is our first NCL cruise and we have an ubstructed view cabin.

I keep reading where people get upgraded - just how and when does this happen? Should I call NCL and ask them for one?

I booked through a website I got off this site and I do have the girl's name so I could ask her to call if that would be the proper step.

Thanks for any insight

Alex

Keep in mind that there are two types of upgrades: free upgrades, where the cruise line offers you a cabin in a higher category; and upsells, where the cruiseline will upgrade you to a better cabin for a price, usually much lower than the price differential would have been if you had booked the better cabin initially.

With the free upgrades, realistically speaking, you could be moved from an inside to a better inside, an outside to a better outside, a balcony to a better balcony, etc., with better usually meaning a better location on the ship (mid-ship, higher deck). It's rare to be upgraded from one category (inside) to another category (outside), but it does happen. The assignment of free upgrades is pretty much a mystery. There is no predictable rhyme or reason as to why someone gets an upgrade and someone else doesn't. But it never hurts to ask and to urge your TA to look into it.

Upsells occur when the cruise line finds that it has some upper category cabins that haven't sold and the sailing date is fast approaching. They are then willing to sell you an upgrade at a discount. Other cruisers have reported that the best time to inquire about an upsell is immediately after the final payment date for your sailing. Once final payment has been made, the cruise line has a much firmer idea of which cabins are truly booked. That's when deals might be made, with the possibility of a real bargain.

I'm booked in an AE aft cabin on the Sun for the 8/28 cruise. Initially, I was in a category K, but I paid the difference in fares (full difference - $1000 total) to get the AE. Now, there is an AD (the famed AD 8002 :) ) open for that cruise, but at this point, they will not allow me a deal on upgrading to that cabin for less than the full differences (about $950) between the two cabins. My TA called and then I called the upsell # that has been publicized here (yes, they actually talked to me). The upsell lady said that they were about 3 weeks away from doing any upsells on the 8/28 Sun cruise. I even offered to "go halfsies" and pay $500 to upgrade, but she said that she could not do it at this time.

I know that Shoreguy told me in a thread yesterday that he was offered an upsell for 3 people from an AF to an AD for $500 TOTAL. So, I know that I am offering is not unreasonable in light of what they have done in the past.

I'm wavering at this point as whether to I should upgrade for the full price, wait for the cabin price to drop or an upsell to be offered or whether I should just stay put in our aft AE. That butler service and the thought of having hot breakfasts in our cabin each morning and basically any meal from the regular or premium restaurants served to us in our cabins is very tempting.

JR

I'm booked in an AE aft cabin on the Sun for the 8/28 cruise. . . . Now, there is an AD (the famed AD 8002 :) ) open for that cruise. . . . That butler service and the thought of having hot breakfasts in our cabin each morning and basically any meal from the regular or premium restaurants served to us in our cabins is very tempting.

JR

JR, is your AE on the 8th, 9th or 10th deck? We have an AE booked on the very aft of the 10th deck (May 2006), and I'd love to see photos (if you stay in it).

We had the famed AD 8002 also. And, yes, breakfast in the room or on the deck was wonderful, as were the afternoon treats!!!!

Adele

So do I call the upsell number to ask for both type of upgrades or just the regular number? I need to know if the who can offer it to me and I'm not sure the regular operators have that power????

Alex

If you booked with a TA only your TA has the "power" . In general the upsell desk has become don't call us we will call you or your TA.

I booked the Sept 30 Star sailing in February through NCL since it was only $20 more than the cheapest internet rate I could find, and it allowed me to control my own booking. Then I had them note it in my profile that I would be interested in an upsell if one became available - nothing specific about which category I may want. Lo and behold I got a call two weeks ago from NCL offering an upsell from BB to AC for $750 total. I bargained down to $700 (thanks to the CC'ers) and took the offer. I was a bit surprised thay called me so early because final payment isn't due until July 17. After the $200 Entertainment coupon and the $1500 in credits from MBNA, we're in a suite for $1200.

On our past 4 cruises we booked guarantees and always got upgraded at least 3 categories (no charge), and one time on Carnival we went from lowest inside to highest outside.

Just as an FYI: we were offered an upsell from an AF to an AB Penthouse on the Dawn just a few days after making the final payment. Of course, we took it ($900 vs. $4,000 - a no brainer!). But, I was curious later on to see if the Owner's suite (Category AA) was available and called NCL directly. They were very accommodating (sp?), but unfortunately sold out. They were willing to "upsell" me the Garden Villa for $13,000, but that's a little too rich for my blood :eek: I think it really depends on what person you get when you call NCL. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences when talking with NCL folks. Others have had to put up with rude behavior. I think it's the luck of the draw.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Shoreguy - I have written her an email telling her which excursion (1 was free) that we want and then asked her just what you said :o and if she writes back with a, "whatttttttt?" I'll be back for the next step!

Thanks again

Alex

We have lucked out and gotten two upsell calls (mini-suite to AD; mini-suite to AB). Each time they called us. The first time we were first-time cruisers with NCL and had a TA. The second time we booked through NCL. We had booked mini-suites both times, and I think those cabins are very popular.

JR, thanks for offering to photograph the AE. We are really looking forward to that aft view!

Adele

Adele,

No problem at all...

I did call NCL Reservations today (I had a question about the suite amenities that have been posted here - Cecilia had questioned whether this info was word-of-mouth from here or actually from NCL - and I decided to go to the source) and I asked them about the upsells.

She asked me if I had booked direct or gone through a TA. I told her a TA and she said to call my TA and have her put a note in my reservation to the effect that I would be ameniable to an upsell call if a higher category cabin is available for upsell.

I was encouraged by your post that said you were in a mini-suite each time you had gotten upsell calls. I hope these cabins are popular and they offer me a good deal to move up to an AD :D . From what the lady at reservations said, they try to do the upsells for the uppermost cabins starting with the categories immediately below it and then move down through the list if no sale occurs. So, the AD upsell calls would go to the AE mini-suite customers first, BA second, etc. She said the whole purpose is to basically nudge everyone up towards the higher end a bit at a time.

JR

I booked two BA's on the Sun and about 4 weeks before departure I recieved an email from NCL that upgrades to suites were available for 250.00 pp - I upgraded to the AD (Penthouse) and the AB (Romance) for 500.00 a cabin and was very happy with that!

Shoreguy, I'll address this to you since from my observations on these boards you seem to have the most knowledge on many subjects.

Here goes: We're booked on the Jewel on Oct 21st for the NE/Canada 11 day sail. We booked a mini-suite gty. We were assigned a cabin and for the most part I'm happy with it.....but....I would LOVE and upgrade or even an upsell at a reasonable rate. (13 cruises and never an upgrade except for a 1 cat upgrade which was only a better location) I believe my final payment will be in August. Is there anything I can do....the right way without looking too pushy...to increase my chances at either. You've given me good advice before and I trust your knowledge and instincts. ANY suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help. Have a great day!

Happy cruising!

Call her and ask what kind of deals are available from the upsell desk. If she does not know what you are talking about check back for additional instructionsOk, I sent an email about an excursion and the upsell. when I got home, there was a phone message saying the shore trip was taken care of but she didn't know what an upsell was! She said she was willing to keep calling NCL (she called and checked there were still cabins left) for us but she needed more information on what the upsell desk was!

NOW WHAT?

Thanks shoreguy for any direction you can give me!

Alex

We got a similar response from our TA. Makes you wonder why bother with a TA when you know more than they do about bookings and CL policies. We are still trying to get our TA to understand our request. We keep getting upgrade pricing instead. Very frustrating....:(

I have booked with a TA; still I am able to get some answers from NCL directly. They try to be helpful; so you can always call them and see if they will give you some information. This probably is the luck of the draw; it depends on what NCL person you get when you call; be really nice and you will get more info. Of course it will depend on how many cabins they have available in the next higher category, etc. They may tell you that!

I have tried speaking directly with NCL and have been told twice that since I booked with a TA, they can only speak with them regarding my booking. TA says there are no suites left. Yesterday there were 2 still available on NCL's website. Oh well, at least I'm cruising. Happy Sailing!

One of the advantages of booking direct with NCL is they don't have to go thru a TA to communicate with you.

I agree BUT on this sailing NCL couldn't even come close to the price we got! We saved a lot - over 1/3 and close to 1/2 hard to complain about that!

I'm going to try them tonight or in the morning -- keeping fingers crossed

Alex

We sailed by booking with our TA as well. I guess you actually pay for that priviledge because usually the CL is more $$ than booking with a discount cruise broker. We actually saved $150pp on this cruise. Happy Sailing!

Archived