Any under 25-40s Solo Cruisers??

Lvnmylife85

I'm 29 and going on my 1st solo cruise this December on the Epic. I've gone back to college and the combination of finals and going home for the Holidays mean that none of my friends are available to go. I'm really looking forward to it, I except to have an awesome time.

@zactac

I can't wait to read your review. Glad you had such a great time!

I was on the Epic in a solo cabin 2 years ago and LOVED it! I'm booked on the Epic again on December 28th. What week are you going in December?

I just turned 37 on my last cruise, which was my first solo cruise. The first day of the cruise was my birthday. Not only was it my first solo cruise, but I also zip lined, bar hopped, and scuba dove all for the first time. It was a very good experience and an exercise in stepping out of my comfort zone and trying new things.

Now I can't wait to go again and try other new things. But I can't deny that paying double on Carnival kinda limits the budget and the frequency of cruising. I would like to try the epic studio someday.

I'd just like to quickly say that I am a few weeks off the EPIC as a solo and I had an amazing time. I'll be providing a review in the Norwegian section in the next couple weeks as I'm still on vacation. But I met a lot of amazing people and the solo cabin and lounge concept was genius. Some of the people I met on the EPIC are actually planning another cruise in a few months so we can all reconnect.

I'll surely be looking out for your review! :)

I'm 28 right now (will be 29 in a couple of weeks, during the sailing actually) and have a cruise booked on the Epic on April 6th leaving out of Miami in a studio by myself.

I've only cruised once before, and that was about a year ago with my girlfriend. I had a really great time, and although I'm single now, I want to do it again, although I can't convince any of my friends to come.

I live in Manhattan, so I could be at the port for the Breakaway about 15 minutes after walking out of my apartment, which is of course nice. I decided to go with the Epic, however. Mainly because it has about twice the number of studios, and I'm more interested in the Caribbean itinerary than the Bermuda one.

And I got round trip air fare to Fort Lauderdale and back for $200, hard to beat that.

After this New York winter, I'm greatly looking forward to just sitting around by the pool/beach for a week!

If I could get my hands on a good rate for airfare I would've gone the Epic route myself, settled for the Breakaway. I live in the Bronx, only a $35 cab ride away from the NY port so super convenient! I'll deal with the fl/Bahamas itinerary for now.:o

Perhaps one of these days I will look to try different itineraries but for my first cruise I figured I would go more for convenience than anything else. and being as though I had to pay a ton of money to cruise since I am going solo (and booked myself a balcony) doing flight and hotel stays for a different itinerary would have been prohibitively costly. next time I will search for deals in advance in order to moderate the cost. maybe next cruise I take ( assuming i like my experience this time around) I will try one of those ships with studio rooms.

I was on the Epic in a solo cabin 2 years ago and LOVED it! I'm booked on the Epic again on December 28th. What week are you going in December?

I'm booked for December 14th. I kind of wish I had booked the week of Christmas but I promised to actually make it home this year!:rolleyes:

If I could get my hands on a good rate for airfare I would've gone the Epic route myself, settled for the Breakaway. I live in the Bronx, only a $35 cab ride away from the NY port so super convenient! I'll deal with the fl/Bahamas itinerary for now.:o

Yeah I'm in West Harlem and it is super convenient. My ex and I went on the Gem out of Manhattan last year. We stepped out of the apartment, grabbed a gypsy cab on the corner, hit the Westside Highway and were at the pier in maybe 10 minutes.

When I looked, I think studios on the Breakaway were about $1099 or so compared to $879 for the same time period on the Epic (not to mention the $100 OBC promotion for the Epic they had going on when I booked), so even tacking on $200 airfare (I'm flying United from EWR to FLL and back), it's mostly a wash.

Sure the Epic will wind up costing a bit more since I'm paying for a hotel for a night and other small things like lunch at the airport and whatnot, but it's not a landslide either way.

I was thinking about it earlier today actually, and I loved the sea days on the Gem so much, so I might do the Florida/Bahamas run on the Breakaway. Even though I've done itinerary, I can just have a blast on the ship. And the Epic is going to be in Europe for the summer, so if you want to travel solo on something with a dedicated studio, the Breakaway will be about it.

I was thinking about it earlier today actually, and I loved the sea days on the Gem so much, so I might do the Florida/Bahamas run on the Breakaway. Even though I've done itinerary, I can just have a blast on the ship. And the Epic is going to be in Europe for the summer, so if you want to travel solo on something with a dedicated studio, the Breakaway will be about it.

You make a very valid point regarding the sea days... I wanted to go on the Breakaway for the studio, but the itineraries were a turn off. Guess it would leave more time to explore the ship and enjoy the relaxation....

Ill be on the Allure in Sept for my 35th Birthday....and it really suxxs cruising alone; I'm in the process of luring one of my friends to go with me ..i dont think I can be on a 7 night cruise by-myself...especially because iam anti-social and intraverted; I am in the same boat, all my friends are either broke, have kids or just cant take the time off. I live in Miami and would cruise every weekend if i could....just need a partner in crime to do it.

Ill be on the Allure in Sept for my 35th Birthday....and it really suxxs cruising alone; I'm in the process of luring one of my friends to go with me ..i dont think I can be on a 7 night cruise by-myself...especially because iam anti-social and intraverted; I am in the same boat, all my friends are either broke, have kids or just cant take the time off. I live in Miami and would cruise every weekend if i could....just need a partner in crime to do it.

I also live in FL and wish I could cruise a lot more. The one friend I use to go with is now married, so now I have no one to hang with. I would luv to do a solo[/color][/color] cruise, but just like you I'm a bit on the shy side and an introvert. The few co-workers that I'm close to either are married, have kids or just not adventurous - never left the country or state. I may just bite the bullet and do the Halloween cruise I'm looking at, since I like the itinerary that a travel site that cater to solo travelers is doing

• 4 weeks later...

27yr old male, booked solo cruise to Mediterranean on Carnival Sunshine 29/9/13. I've only been on cruise once with my parents and brother when I was younger. Not sure what to expect for a solo cruise, but rather excited!

Kay

27yr old male, booked solo cruise to Mediterranean on Carnival Sunshine 29/9/13. I've only been on cruise once with my parents and brother when I was younger. Not sure what to expect for a solo cruise, but rather excited!

Kay

It's all what you make of it. You can go in with a lot of expectations or you can go in with an open mind and be completely surprised at the results. I have never been on a Mediterranean cruise so I can't speak to the number of singles/solos on such a cruise. But I can tell you that traveling solo can give you a chance to spend time with yourself and also meet others. You can be open and speak to many different people. I found that I would be sitting somewhere or standing in line and people would see me alone and just make conversation. All of them were intrigued about my solo adventures. Don't go thinking "oh what are people going to think if they know I'm alone!!!" Never had that experience.

There might be times when you might feel a little awkward, such as in the main dinning room. Make sure to ask the maître de on the first day what your table mates look like as far as couples or solo travelers. You might be able to have them switch you to a table that has more solo people. You wouldn't want to be in a table with a family full of kids. If you want to avoid the whole dinning room experience, there's always the buffet. But you would be missing out on a lot of conversation and the food. Excursions are a great way to meet people if you want to. Or you can just go off on your own and be adventurous, within reason of course!

It all depends also on what you are looking for. Are you looking to get away and connect with yourself? Or do you expect to always be around people. You make that choice. Definitely go to the activities no matter how cheesy they sound. Bingo (not free), trivia contests, theatre shows, and such. Just show up!

There are the other benefits like having a cabin to yourself and doing whatever and whenever you want. Plus you might meet someone and hangout with that person for the rest of the cruise. If that's what you want.

Best thing you can do is start researching the ports and what's there to do at each place. See if you are going to take a ship excursion or just go off on your own and explore. If you are just going off on your own make sure you understand how to get back to the ship with plenty of time. Also are the places you are going generally safe to go off on your own. Just some things to think about.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will be turning 40 a couple of weeks before my next cruise in Dec. I have always wanted to take a cruise alone because I have not had much in common with my cruise partners in the past. My 1st cruise was with my BFF of 26 years and that was the only time we have EVER argued! I am 50% Extrovert and 50% Introvert; although most people I know do not believe the introvert part.

I am not shy at all but I looove and desperately need "me" time. So I am looking forward to enjoying keeping the cabin temp freezing, sleeping until I feel like getting up, long reflective moments on my balcony, enjoying nightlife other than the disco, going on the "corny" excursions etc... :p

I am a bit claustrophobic, but I am thinking about booking one of the epic studios next year. It will be the 1st time booking anything other than a balcony, so I am a teeny bit nervous. I live in DC, so I am closer to the Breakaway, but most of the prices for those studios are $1399 vs $899 on the epic. I have priced out a roundtrip to Fort Lauderdale, 2 nights in a pretty decent hostel by the port (1 night before and 1 night after cruise) and taxi to and from the port for less than $500. So won't be doing the breakaway until the price comes down.

Any solos on my cruise?

• 4 weeks later...

Heading out on the Epic 11/9/13 (if I ever book the actual cruise part of the trip and stop playing the waiting/saving game....lol). I've not sailed the last 2 years due to no girlfriend but this time I said f it I'm going. Plus I've really wanted to check out the Epic since it came out.....oh, and I have a future cruise credit expiring very soon too...haha

Couple ???'s and I figured this thread might prove to get the best answers because in reading back you've all offered a ton of helpful info and insight.

1) How low can the fares really go for a studio on the Epic? Keep in mind it's a pretty off-peak sailing. In the last 4 weeks since I started looking I've seen as low as $629+ and a high of $669+ direct on NCL site. They include a $12.50 OBC now too. Really just curious how low anyone has ever booked or seen (promos included or not). Because of that future credit that I have to use or I lose I'm going fo show!!!

2) Most of what seem to be most desirable studio locations are taken but there are still at least 15-20 available with a month to go. Are the ones with connecting rooms really something to avoid altogether??? I've heard the noise and privacy is greatly compromised. Also is being further away from the lounge best for hallway noise even if that means being way out back or in that smaller front area??? And is being anywhere near the studio hallway entrance doors bad for noise from it opening/closing/slamming nonstop???

Thanks in advance,

Im a 26 year old female from bonnie Scotland. :)

I did my first solo cruise this year with the Thomson Dream in the Med and had the most amazing time - even though the only people I hung around with my age were the entertainment hostesses. To me age is just a number baby! Im happy to just hang around with some like minded people who like hanging out, drinking cocktails, having the occasional boogie and are on holiday to have a blast! I met some amazing people of all ages! :cool:

I have just booked my 2nd cruise on Norwegian Epic for July 2014 (yip another Med cruise) and Im looking forward to having an amazing time :D

Archived